Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 19:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Stillmans
Stats: 150/143/120 Female 5'7
BF:26%/24%/18%
Progress: 23%
Default Birth Control Pills

Just curious if anyone has found that birth control pills slow their weight loss at all?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 19:10

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I've heard that it can, but it doesn't seem to be stopping me at all. I'm down 10 lbs in my first 13 days of induction. :-)

Squid
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 19:32

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 296/293/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

Doesn't seem to be affecting me either. 9 lbs. in 12 days!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 20:35
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

They make it harder for me to lose weight. In fact, I just switched to a lower dose of estrogen because I had started taking different pills around the time I started Atkins. I didn't change my stats, but I was up over 142 before I started taking the lower dose. (Now is TOM, so I don't even want to know my weight) I know if I went off of them completely, I would immediately lose 10 pounds. That being said, I have many complications with my cycle, including endometriosis. I suspect if there are no problems with extra estrogen it shouldn't make too big of a difference. I have heard horrible stories about Depo, though.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 08:28
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm on low-estrogen pills, and I think it may have slowed my weight loss a little. I've still managed to lose quite a bit of weight, so it can certainly be done. I suspect I might lose better if I stopped taking them, but stopping pills could lead to gaining weight for a whole OTHER reason!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 08:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

The only thing that slowed me (during my first attempt to LC) was the depo shot. But once I changed my method - it was smooth sailing!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 167/152/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I find that it slows the weight loss. When it is that TOM I have a 2-3 lbs loss for the week. When I started to keep track of when I lost weight it was always during TOM when I am NOT taking any pills. I find that TOM cravings are not as bad LCing.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:37

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I'm not sure because I have been on them so long. But I hear that it can make it more difficult. I plan on going off of them when I get my weight down to have a baby and my Dr. told me that I would probably naturally drop a few lbs after I stop taking them. So it just may make it a little more difficult.

As for Depo, my old Dr. suggested it to me and it sounded awesome. She was part of the experiment and was using it before it passed by the FDA. She raved about it until I asked her if people gained any weight on it. She said that most people did, she didn't but most did so I said "NO WAY MAN" Since then I have heard horror stories!

Wee
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 12:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeOne
As for Depo, my old Dr. suggested it to me and it sounded awesome. She was part of the experiment and was using it before it passed by the FDA. She raved about it until I asked her if people gained any weight on it. She said that most people did, she didn't but most did so I said "NO WAY MAN" Since then I have heard horror stories!

Wee

I think the way the shot prevented me from getting pregnant was to make me gain weight and remove ALL romantic drive!! When I was on that- being intimate with my DH was the last thing I wanted to do...boy is he HAPPY I went off the shot!

Sorry for the change 'o subject here!!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 21:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I am on depo and have had no problem losing weight. When I asked my doctor about the weight gain chances on depo, I was told that it was progesterone only with no estrogen like the pill, so it shouldn't be a problem. I was warned the only problem might be increased carb cravings, but since I was on Atkins already I had mine under control.

As for the lowered labido, I had that as well. I don't know if it's the depo, the children or what. I've had problems with it before though even when not on depo. I think its a mix of hormones, depression and just blahs (ok way too much info, sorry guys)
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 23:13
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

ladybelle - I'm surprised the doctor told you it shouldn't be a problem. In the info the company provides on their website (click on important product information) it says that you can gain around 5 pounds the first year possibly a total of 16.5 pounds over six years. You are lucky to not have a problem - I was considering it until I read the stuff on the website. I figured if I were going to gain extra weight, I would put some elbow grease into it and load up on cheesecake and french fries .
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 08:08
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
you can gain around 5 pounds the first year possibly a total of 16.5 pounds over six years

Well considering Iput on 50 pounds each pregnancy, that still sounds like the better alternative

So far it's the only bc that really works for me. I don't want to take the pill because not only weight gain, but I would never rememebr to take it. The IUDs scare me after hearing too many bad things happening to people I know.