Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 23:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins started at 197lbs
Stats: 207/183/170
BF:BMI: 31.5/27.5/26
Progress: 65%
Default Birth control and low-carb: best options??

Hi there. I did a search and didn't find anything but "spot" bleeding...which was helpful...but

I have been on the depoprovera shot for a year (next month) but have had TERRIBLE reactions to it. Since starting this WOE a few days ago, they've worsened dramatically.

My problem is my body basically revolting against the shots!! They're supposed to dramatically lessen or even stop periods altogether. My problem is they've made them 50 times worse!! This is my 3rd or 4th time of this happening to me:

I've had my period, very heavy and continuous, for over a month. Not joking. And when I'm not having my (TERRIBLY LONG) TOM, I have spot bleeding every day.

I had a physical and the doc said nothing was wrong!! But as I'm sure you can understand why, my hubby and I are very concerned!!

I'm thinking about switching to the patch or the nuvaring. B/C pills are out of the question as my body has a bad reaction to those also (constantly nauseous and light-headed).

I'm trying to find a good method because of cramps, not just for the no baby outlook...although it's a nice perk at the moment

Anyway, to the point:

Is any method of b/c better for anyone else while on this WOE?? Has anyone else had to switch or tried more methods??

Thanks for any input I hope my body will start liking me again soon (cramps for 5 weeks straight is putting a damper on my mood....grrrrrrr.....and no chocolate to help....)

Last edited by JuneBride : Sun, Apr-13-03 at 23:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 09:43
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Not sure what, if any effect lc has on the depo shot. I will say I have never met anyone who liked them. They either had TOM continuously or (like me) not at all. I think the answer is simply that the depo shots are terrible. I would opt for another method.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 15:22

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/BIRTH-CONTROL/depoforyou.htm#what%20the%20shot%20is

this site says it IS a problem if you're bleeding longer and heavier than usual - and to notify your "clinician."

I don't know of anyone who has liked the shot and had good results.

A side note, recent studies show that women experience significant bone loss. It is a popular birth control method for younger women and they are the ones who are less able to regain the bone that was lost (older women are able to recover the bone lost).

I used Yasmin(e?) and liked it a lot - only after the first few weeks. I stopped that last month. Just got tired of taking them.

You'll just need to find the best method for you - everyone is VERY different.

This is the link for "which b.c. is best for me"

http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 02:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 305/240/165 Female 66
BF:55%/45%/20%
Progress: 46%

Hi JuneBride,

My advice to you is to RUN AWAY from Depo, don't get it again. Listen to what your body is telling you, it does NOT like what the Depo is doing to you. Don't listen to that doctor, feh, if he was bleeding constantly I bet he'd think something was wrong with him!

It may be that you need to try a BC method that is lower in progesterone. I'm not sure what pills you tried, but there are significant variations out there. Definitely consider finding a new doctor who will work with you on this. I also like the idea of a method that can be stopped immediately (like a patch or a ring, in my case I ended up using condoms).

Okay, at the risk of sounding like a total nut, I have to be honest with you, I have an axe to grind here - I can't begin to tell you how much that !#% shot messed up my health, physically, emotionally, and mentally. I gained 100 pounds in a year, was depressed, couldn't concentrate, was a total mean psycho, had major issues dealing with my education and my job, and almost destroyed my relationship with my long-term BF, among other things. In other words, it nearly killed me. I still think I haven't completely recovered. I was on it for four years.

I hope that you have been lucky and escaped everything but the purely physical side effects (and yes, they sound terrible, and I'm sorry you're suffering). Ask the people in your life if they think your personality has changed at all, and listen to them. I'm not trying to freak you out, but keeping you from getting pregnant is not the only thing the hormones do to you. IMHO that shot is just terrible. It basically throws your body into menopause and chemically castrates you. (I may be exaggerating slightly but not by much!)

Best of luck feeling better and finding bc that works for you!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 04:32
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

I have been on Depo for over a year now. I have been low carbing for about 8 months. Not that I love hormones or that they are right for everyone I just want to say :

I did not have problems after starting low carb...just the 2nd month I had 2 peiods about 3 weeks apart of normal to light flow.

I do not have regular periods while on Depo...but that does not bother me

I have lost weight while low carbing and on Depo

OK that was my experience...but I will tell you I am a nurse and that you probably should not take Depo if you are having excessively heavy periods this is a side effect of the Depo

As far as alternate birth control...I'm not sure I am going to get my tubes tied this summer so I can get off the Depo...but for now, I am terriable at taking the pill and I can not have another baby so I will continue Depo

Good Luck Bye YA
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 08:05

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm not on depo, but am on Ortho Tricyclen... anyhoo, after starting this WOL, my cycles were totally SCREWED up. I think I had TOM more than once a month and for 7+ days instead of the 3 days/mo. he used to visit before I started this WOE. I called my doc and he asked if I could hold out a little bit to see if my body would adjust- if not, then we'd try something else. Lucky for me after two months everything straightened out.

I've never been on depo, but I agree w/others in saying that it's not something to mess with if it's making you miserable. Get in to the doc so you guys can figure out what's best for you. You obviously chose this WOL to benefit your health, why let something else stand in your way of achieving a healthy lifestyle. Your health and well-being is most important.

(Sorry for the long blurb.)

Best of luck in figuring everthing out.
Nikki
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 08:52
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

If you have already had children an IUD may be a good choice. The copper T IUD from paraguard can last for 10 years. I used my first one for 9 years, got it removed to get pregnant, got pregnant in 4 months and then got another one put in after my second baby. I think it's great and no hormones.

Beth
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 08:54
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Here is a basic link.

http://www.mjbovo.com/Contracept/IUD.htm

Beth
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 08:59

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Default TUBE TIE

BeccaResRN,
I was really considering this permanent method until I read about the SIDE EFFECTS. I don't know about you, but I had NO idea. Please check into this also.

Your low carb pal,
J
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 16:54

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

Ive been on depo for yrs and I absolutely love it. I couldnt say enough about it but I wont bore you. Just wanted to put in a post sticking up for it.

Btw about LC/Depo/TOM. It might not be the depo making your TOM so wierd. Ive heard a ton of people say that their system went nuts when first starting LC then after a couple months settled back into rhythm

Jaden
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 23:29
Registered Member

Well, yesturday at work I passed out every time I stood up...which isn't good when you work at a Veterinary Clinic So I decided maybe I needed some carbs: made me nauseous, but got my head back in order enough to stand for a few minutes before I got faint.

Well, my mother immediately freaked out when I told her and phoned the doctor immediately.

HE THINKS I'M ANEMIC!!! and guess why....

MY DEPO SHOTS!!!!!!!!!

I should have gotten one this month but I decided weeks ago to skip it and let it out of my system for a bit before I try something else, or sooner if the doc thinks I can.

I've been having my period for at least a month and a half...I lost track. Heavy throughout...and now I'm anemic.

But that just makes this WOE even better He told me to eat lots of red meat *yay* and cut back on sugar *double yay*

I wish I were one of the ones depo would have helped, because I REALLY liked the idea and the no-hassle of the product!!

Instead I have to start my searching again *sigh* boo. Why can't I have no cramps and *pardon this next statement* get some booty without having to try all this stuff to get it right??

ah well...I'll get it right eventually If nothing else...I'll have...*gulp*....kids!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 22:42

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

***I posted this in another thread, but Im going to post it here as well***

Im on Depo as well.. Since I started on it when I was 17 I pretty much have been consistently gaining weight..

I was off of it for a period of two years, and the end of that two years I decided to exercise my ass off and i lost a bunch of weight.. then of course I met my current boyfriend (of 3 years now) and well, I went back on it because of the convenience..

I dont get my period, which is just amazing, especially since they used to last 9 days or so...
and I HATED taking the pill.. either I Would forget, or if I didnt forget, taking the pill after awhile would just make me gag.. it would feel like it got stuck in my throat and i would just about gag all damn day.... so.. Id love an alternative to Depo, but there arent any others out there that are such low maintenance.. I can handle the slow weight loss that Im experiencing now with LCing, as long as Im losing weight... so.. yeah, Depo definitely slows weight loss and increases chances of weight gain for a lot of people... let me know if you find any alternatives that arent pills!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 12:08
Registered Member

The only alternatives I've found are the patch and the Nuvaring. I figured I'd try those after I get my body regulated again...(aka, back to pills...weep!)
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 15:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I'm not on Depo, but on a low progesterone BCP. When I first started this WOE, I was prompmtly ready to quit, as I was getting my TOM at random times for way longer than normal. I was having intense cramps (i normally had almost none) But, after two months, all went back to normal and have been fine since. I would guess if you just hang in there and suffer, it will all be ok. In terms of not losing while on BC, well...thats another story! I like how in atkins they mention that and basically tell you to stop the hormones!!! Hahaha....dont think DH or I would be pleased with a little one around the house now, why lose the last few pounds only to get PG?!?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 23:28
Registered Member

Oh god...I'm too young for kids!!!

I only started this WOE in March, so although it hasn't helped much, it's not the cause of my woe...

SO ON TO NEW METHODS!!!! Next week...maybe...heheheheh....

with no fiance to tempt me 'til June I have a little worry-free time

AND GO WISCONSIN!!!!! Apparently the midwest is the most overweight section of the USA...WE CAN CHANGE THAT