Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 13:42
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default cold burn

I am trying to get where I jog a little each morning. The weather is starting to get wintery here though. I don't mind the cold so much, except it really seems to burn the back ofmy throat and chest after a small time jogging. I'm not even working up a sweat before I give in because of chest and throat pain.

Is this something that will get better as I get my lazy butt in shape? Is there anyway to help this? I thought about wearing a scarf, but worried that would interfer with getting a good supply of oxygen while running.

Also how do I improve my gait? Right now I put my feet down way to heavy and all at once instead of kind of rolling, and that is really jarring to the jointts. I feel I could go longer with less pain if I could get myself to not have such heavy steps.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 18:27

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi LadyBelle,
Having lived in Big Piney for seven years in the 80/90s
I remember how dry the COLD air can be out there.
Even taking my fast paced walks would leave me with the same dry mouth symptoms. I used gum for one and then sometimes rolled my toung up a bit so the air had time to warm a little. Also a light bottle of water for sips should help, or make it two little ones to even the balance.

As far as running, sorry I just don't have the jogging bug for the same reason....joints. Used to play hockey BUT back then joints didn't seem to matter yet lol and the attempts I did make really seem to put too much stress on them. I did notice though that my feet didn't want to respond as well as soon as I felt winded and then tried all concentration to correct that, the more I tried the less it worked.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bubu
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 19:33
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Ladybelle:

By any chance, do you have high arches? I wonder b/c your problems sound similar to mine, and I have very high arches. My step is so heavy you can hear me approach a mile away. "Graceful" is NOT my middle name.

Anyway, my chiro told me not to run with my arches the way they are, even with my custom orthotics. There is very little give in a high arch which places too much stress on the joints, causing all kinds of problems.

The only way I have found to run is by putting my treadmill on the highest elevations and doing a slow run for my 9s and 10. It's really tough, let me tell you, I even checked my HR monitor. This seems to place less stress on my knee and my ankle is more stable as well. Running and sprained ankles have always been an issue for me. It's the first time in my life I haven't run into problems running.

Anyway, it's just a thought. I remember you mentioning that you have knee problems, so don't force your body to do something it isn't meant to do. I used to always think there was something wrong with me b/c I couldn't run. My chiro helped explain to me that my body isn't designed for it.

Good luck!

Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 20:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I may have high arches. I know wet my foot prints look odd One side is kind of flat, and the inside is higher then most.

What I've started doing is speed walking for 2 min, then alternating jogging/walking 1 min each. It seems to work and I try to jog for 2 mins strait at some point. I am such a wuss when it comes to running, always have been. Would love it if I had an eliptical machine at home, I think one would be roughly the same size as our living room though

The odd gait may be why I get shoulder pain when I run. Maybe the jaring is traveling up that much.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 21:40
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Ladybelle:

Yep, that sounds like high arches to me. When my chiro tested my foot on a computerized pad, I didn't have a middle section, just the ball and heal imprint. Don't think you are a wuss, you aren't!

I remember in school never being able to run and I'd always dread PE days. I'd get stitches in my side from the heavy pounding of my feet. My teachers would force me to run and sometimes I'd just end up crying from the pain and frustration. Then came the knee and ankle problems.

The lifting really helps though. So do custom orthotics, but that's definately not an option for someone on a budget. Some say the over-the-counter orthotics are good for high arches, but I never had success with them. You could always try them. Problem is fitting them into the darn shoes, there's so little space! The correct running shoes are very important for stability. If you can, buy your shoes from a store who knows how to fit runners. The Running Room is good - is it in the US?

The heavy pounding can pretty much jarr everything. Repeat after me.... I'm NOT a wuss.

Wanda