Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 07:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default What if I have a bad cold?

When I feel a cold coming on, I usually use zinc lozenges that really do, as the package says "reduce the duration and severity of the common cold". I esp. like to use one to fall asleep when my throat is sore and itchy.

But these lozenges have 4.6 g of sugar each. I am not going to take them, even though this cold is settling in deep and miserable. I am never going to eat anything w/sugar again.

I'm just wondering if any LCers on this forum have thoughts on LC cold remedies?

And what about the old saw, "starve a cold, stuff a fever"?

I'd appreciate any advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 07:45

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I will give the same advice I have over the past year.

When sick, take care of yourself and don't worry so much about high/low carb. Normally when we are ill, nothing tastes, smells or looks good to eat, therefore eat anything you can get down.

Once you are feeling better go back to low carbing. You have to realize this isn't a short term project, it's for life and 1 week or two here or there taking in carbs isn't going to kill you

I hope you get to feeling better soon.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 07:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Thanks for the advice, agonycat

I know I have to take care of myself while sick but one of the ways I choose to do it is to maintain the LC WOE. I'll suffer through the cold w/no indulgence in sugar. I am never going to eat sugar again. And I am never going to eat bread, pasta, refined carbohydrates again.

I was just wondering if anyone had some LC remedy suggestions. I'm going to ask my doctor today if she can recommend a homeopathic remedy.

I am not going to be eating much today. I won't force down my average food intake.

Just wondering. . . thanks for your advice.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 08:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Heat chicken stock to a boil, finely chop some avocado and blend in a blender with salt, lemon juice and chilies until smooth.

Or something I discovered last winter. Pork rind matzoh balls in chicken and cabbage soup.

I ground 2 oz. of pork rinds in the food processor until fine, then pulsed in salt and 1/2 tsp baking powder. I added 3 eggs, pulsed till smooth and rolled the mixture into 8 balls. They sat covered, for about 1/2 hour. I cooked them in salted, boiling water for 20 minutes without lifting the lid. They're not quite as tender as real matzoh balls, but they are darned good.

For zinc, get the lowest dose of pills - usually 20 mg - and break them into quarters.

Karen