Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 03:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Birth control Pills....

so what is the low down on those?

I take Diane-35... could it be affecting my "non existent" weight loss?
I did indeed start taking it after my induction (when I lost a few pounds). Since then, nothing....

Would my body try and get used to it first and then gradually start losing again?....

Anybody has any comments?..

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 04:56

BF:

Last edited by eva123 : Wed, Feb-12-03 at 07:57.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 09:28
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Eva

From what I've read and heard it could, I don't know the exact hormone in your pill but I recently asked my Doc for HRT and was told it was too early but the pill would be appropriate but would probably cause weight gain. I know many people do gain weight on the pill, since you have not gained but not lost maybe you are as you said going through a period of adjustment. However it is you won't gain as much as yo would getting pregnant There's a whole list of medications Atkins says can interfere with this diet and if I remember correctly hormonal meds are on that list.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 10:54
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Eva123:

I used to take Diane 35 to control my acne. Although it controlled the acne really well, it also caused weight gain and horrible migraines. I would always gain about 4 pounds when on the pills and then lose them when I discontinued them for the prescribed week. As for the migraines, I didn't realize the connection until after I stopped taking them. I lived with those migraines for 3 years. I just traded one set of symptoms for other sets of symptoms.

There are all kinds of problems as a result of taking hormones, weight only being one of them. I won't even start. Dr. Atkins discussed this weight stall issue on his interview with Donahue. He said the only alternative to BCPs would be to "hide under the bed".

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 14:06

BF:

Thanks guys

...and the witty comments

Quote:
However it is you won't gain as much as yo would getting pregnant
I guess you are right..!!!!!

I had read in the book that it could have some effects but wanted to see if anyone had personally experienced it.

As for the migraines, that is interesting because I started having those as well but attributed them to carbs withdrawal...but then again, I did not have any until I started taking the pill....
I do take a full load of vitamins with all the suggested minerals and suppl.

But then again, this is nothing I cannot live with, it does not prevent me from getting up. It is all bearable so I will not complain...and will thank you again for your replies: THANKS!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 15:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

BCPs made me gain a lot of weight and be very, very, very resistant to weight loss. Even joining the 'Y' didn't help. I eventually gave up trying, *then* lost the weight with *zero* effort once I stopped taking the pills!

I know they offer women a lot of convenience, but IMHO, as far as your body is concerned, artificial hormones are the and the drug companies don't want us to know it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 17:11
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristine
as far as your body is concerned, artificial hormones are the and the drug companies don't want us to know it.

You got that right!!! Only women would take those things b/c we have more incentive. Jeez, do men have it easy in that department.

Eva, keep an eye on those migraines. You can always switch brands. Are you taking it for acne? Mine were aura migraines that would occasionally cause vomiting and I got them about every 2nd day.

Also, if you continue on them, you might consider taking probiotics. The hormones do some nasty things to the body's natural balance of yeast and beneficial bacteria. When that balance goes, all kinds of things happen, including candida.

Wanda

Wanda
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 17:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

I actually stopped taking the BC pill last week because of the Atkins interview on Donahue. I am hoping that i lose weight

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 04:29

BF:

oh man....

this is sooooooo depressing.. I take the pills (like I say new thing) not because I do get any action I do not...but to fight off a tendency of mild acne and hirsutism....

I have just finished a 21 days tablet and now think I will start again in a few months...
Again, I do not really need them. since I do not gain, I may as well get myself in shape and start again..

I may have even more use for the pill later.....

I will check this week how things go since I am meant to go eight days without them..... Goodness me. I will let you know what I really decide to do. Again, Diane-35 has not been prescribed to me as a Life Saver. More of a BCP and my face. I can delay that for a couple of months.....

Thanks everyone. I hope more would have some input.

Ciao (I love this smiley and his waving hand...only one)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 16:37
Mad Scientist

BF:

Eva, I can SO relate! That's why I took Diane-35, for acne, plain and simple.

After I got healthy, I started working on clearing my skin. It was the last thing that just wouldn't resolve itself. It is very hormonally related, as you well know, and I was tired of it after the breakouts started from discontinuing the Diane-35. Check out the link below from another thread.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...3922#post803826

Hope this helps,
Wanda
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 17:15

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

Eva -

don't feel so bad - i wasn't getting any action either, so i went off of them

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 10:06

Stats: 178/168/135
BF:
Progress: 23%
Thumbs down Birth Control & Anti-Depressents

Hi, I'm Rachel and I've been doing Atkins for about 2 weeks. I've lost about 10 lbs. However, I take birth control and paxil which definately effects the rate at which I am losing weight. It has slowed it down. I've almost stopped losing all together now. Apparentely, it has something to do with the amount of insulin that is released when taking these meds that negatively impacts weight loss.
I say, keep at it, eventually you'll see results

I know what you mean,
Rach
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 13:09

BF:

Hey Rachel.

I started reading your post and was getting ready to tell you NOT to stop your pills. But then, I read the whole thing !!!

The difference with me is that I started afterwards so frankly I have a body trying to adjust to many changes at once. Like I said, I only started 21 days + 2 ago
I leave it off for the time being and will take it again later.

Check my journal if you want more news on this decision.

Ciao.

Did I say WELL DONE on your 10lbs?... well done!!