Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/181/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Is it true 2nd time around?

I am back for the 2nd time and hoping I could lose weight at the same rate I did before. I had to stop due to pregnancy. I hope to lose about 25 lbs. But it is so hard to be as focus. Exercise is not an option. Doctor says swimming is the best thing for. Wish me luck.

So, is it difficult to lose weight the second time around on Atkins? Is it true?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:37

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi
I'm in the same boat. I was trying to get pregnant through a fertility clinic in November and had to jump off the diet (well, doing Maintenance without having done OWL and Pre-Maintenance was near impossible). I stayed away from the bad food for the most part.

I am not as focused either but this time I'm not as anxious. I've kept 20 lbs of the weight off and I'm just doing a modified induction/OWL (I'm anywhere from 20 to 30 grams a day). I haven't lost any weight yet - it has been 3 weeks. This doesn't bother me as my pants are losing up and I look better.

I find the weight is not dropping this time because like you mentioned, the focus isn't there. However, what replaces that is a longterm goal of this WOE. I guess you could say I'm discovering my CCLL right now

I suspect my milk allergy may be the reason for no weight loss (I have some kind of dairy almost every day and have to cut myself off from it for awhile to see if that is the problem).
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:48

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I just gave birth Dec 16th so I'm back to Atkins again. It was going great for me until I got prego, then I quit... until now!!! Progesterone and prolactin are two hormones that can restrict weight loss. If you are breastfeeding it can be hard to lose weight because of prolactin. I breastfed and tried atkins and lost nearly nothing at 20 carbs/day and didn't feel restritcting my carbs any lower would give me the nurtitional needs to feed my baby. Sooooo, if you're breastfeeding I'd suggest OWL or pre-maintenance so you have better nutritional variety to support that baby. I think you should do fine... It's not as though you're on and off the diet regularily which can affect your metabolic resistance to weight loss. If you stick with it, eventually you will lose weight though it may be slow at first. I lost 11 lbs in the first two weeks of induction, and I started 1 month after the baby was born. Good luck!!!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 21:13

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

It's my second time around, but not because of pregnancy. My weight loss is slower than before, but it has at least been consistant. Just hang in there, and if you need more "focus" try re-reading DANDR or one of the newer ones like New Health Revolution or Atkins For Life. New info always gets me going!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 21:52

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

Hey, Jeanne, not sure if you will read this but tried to reply to Your PM and your box is full. Says you need to clear out some space to get anymore private messages