Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 17:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/183/135
BF:n/a
Progress: 13%
Question Is this true?

Hi all I was told the more you eat the more you lose. Is this true? If so how do you eat more when you are not hungry? All the water I drink, I'm full.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 17:29

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Is it true? Yes and No. If you consume 5000 calories it's unlikely you're going to lose any fat. However, if you eat too little it's just as unlikely you're going to lose any fat. Eating below your BMR (basal metabolic rate) will stress your body. Yes, at first you'll lose weight. Losing weight, however, isn't the same as losing fat. "Weight" comprises water, fat and lean muscle. Losing fat and water are just great - but losing lean mass/muscle isn't. Since muscle is easier for your body to break down, and since it is made of amino acids, it's high up there on the list of things an under fed body will go after.

Losing lean mass will also lower your metabolic rate. Losing muscle for the sake of weighing less can mean that after you've lost 30 lbs you can actually be just as fat as when you started off. It's all about body composition.

Very low calorie dieting is notorious for this. Your BMR is lowered and you lose body fat and lean muscle. Eating so few calories can only be sustained for so long. You end up weak, tired, moody and hungry. When you being eating 'regular' sized portions again you put on all the 'weight' you lost - only this time most of what you put on is fat. Do this a few times and you'll become a yo-yo dieter .

LCing has the effect of decreasing your appetite. Good and bad. It's good to not be ravenously hungry all the time. It's good to not be unfulfilled, cranky and moody. It is bad to eat too little.

Research indicates that eating less than 1300 calories a day on a consistent basis can permanently lower your metabolism. A good rule of thumb is to aim for 10x your current body weight in calories every day. This should fulfill basic metabolic functioning allowing your body to get on with the job of burning body fat.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 11:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

Nat...

Sometimes I am a little below, sometimes a little above...is that okay...I just have a hard time being consistant with keeping my cals at 10 times my body weight.