Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 14:43

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Evaluating a personal trainer?

I just found out that my health plan covers health club memberships and even a certain number of sessions with a personal trainer!

I'm wondering if anyone has a list of questions to ask to evaluate just how good the personal trainers are! I know, check their background and training....but any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 00:35

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Personal Trainers

How lucky for you!
Is your company hiring?

Unfortunately, there is no standard system in place to determine the difference between personal trainers. For years, there has been much confusion regarding the different certifications and the public has no way of evaluating trainers. Literally anyone can call themselves a personal fitness trainer without proof of education, certification or experience.
Most experts agree that the American College of Sports Medicine, the American Council on Exercise, and the National Strength and Conditioning Association - the so-called big three - are the certifications consumers should look for ... the National Strength and Conditioning Association's certification in strength and conditioning is considered the gold standard. It requires an in-depth knowledge of human anatomy, physiology, and weight training technique.

Know what you’re looking for. In addition to knowing your profile you should have a clear vision of what you’re after. While some aspire to lose weight and increase muscle tone others may be looking to re-energize their fitness program through new exercises or increase their compliance through a motivational coach. In short, you won’t know if you’ve found the right trainer for you , if you don’t know what you’re looking for in them.

When interviewing a personal trainer there are two qualities you should look for: Do they have the core competency and experience to work with you and your health profile and do they demonstrate professional integrity that instills confidence and trust in their advice.
The depth of a trainer’s interview into your history, goals and current health profile is evidence of the degree of precision, accuracy and risk of your program design. The shallower the interview into your history and profile, the greater chance that your program may miss your target goals and / or expose you to risk of injury. The deeper the interview, the more confidence you should have.

Lastly; personality is very important. I believe you need a certain amount of “chemistry” with your trainer in order to achieve your goals.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 17:13

Zone! thanks so much for the reply.

I've talked on the phone to the gym I'm intersted in, and all trainers are either exercise physiologists or physical therapists. The certifications is one thing I was looking for. And you have a good point about the evaluation.

Once I get started I'll let you know how it goes.

Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 18:07

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

While certifications are important, I think the second most important thing in a Personal Trainer is finding one you can work with.

Make sure you can work with the person who will be overall responsible for setting your goals and work routines. If your trainer doesn't agree with your goals, find out why. Is it more a personal thing or is it being backed up by the industry standards.

I know when I took my tests to become certified, there were a lot of folks in that class that HATED low carbers but had no idea what low carbin was all about. They were pretty much brainwashed and following whatever it was they were told.

As with any profession, make sure the person you deal with is someone that will see both sides of an issue. Just like doctors, there are some that support low carbohydrate diets while others are against them.

A few national orgs for Personal Trainers are: ACE, AFAA, ASCM, NCSA

Remember it is YOUR health and fitness. The person you hire is there to assist and guide you, not hinder you in your goals
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 15:25

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default ... and ..

Watch the trainer work with other clients before you decide to hire him/her.

While you are on the treadmill/bike or whatever, scan the gym to see if your prospective trainer is working with another client.

Look at body language, interaction, and all that. Combined with what everyone else said (above me), you should be able to find a trainer that meets your needs.

Or you can fly out to NJ and train with me. LOL. I am taking on new clients right now.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 15:31

Thanks Dan

Quote:
Or you can fly out to NJ and train with me. LOL. I am taking on new clients right now.

Hmmm.....I get a 50% discount thru my insurance....do you take BCBS of NC???? LOL

Cindy