Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 17:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/189/150 Female 65 inches
BF:?/35%/25%
Progress: 70%
Question more personal trainer woes

Well, I took Dan's advise and headed out to hire a new personal trainer. The first relationship ended when the trainer promised me that that he could get me at 13% bodyfat in 6 months. While this was an interesting fantasy, the balloon burst when he suggested I would be temtped to "lose the ring", I would be so fabu looking. Next.....

My next appointment was with a woman who is a professional bodybuilder. Very nice lady with great qualifications BUT she HATES what I eat. She objects to nuts and seeds as snacks, suggests brown rice instead. Insists I eat an orange with my spinach omlet for breakfast or maybe oatmeal or a yam. Told me cheese was pure fat and not to eat it at all. I told her she knows how to feed a bodybuilders body and I know how to feed a body that is capable of becoming morbidly obese. She says I have to feed my "new" body. I guess I don't know what to think.... I don't know anything about the unique nutrtional requirements of a bodybuilder. Anyone care to share their experience or opinion?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:01
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Carol Sue, I really think you have to try out this trainer and see if she's good at what she does. Unless she's really obnoxious about pushing her nutrition ideas, you can probably just ignore her on that topic. I work with a trainer who doesn't approve of the way I eat, either, but she's a very good trainer and we've agreed to disagree, lol. Good luck to you--I hope it works out.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:03

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

How are you finding your trainers?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:53
Registered Member

Rose, I desperately tried to avoid the issue but she said, "I have to know what you eat, it's 90% of the answer." I hope she dosen't become pushy. Actually, she told me I was angry and needed time to adjust to her way of thinking. Perhaps, I can simply feed the angry fat lady prejudice and keep her off my back if she turns out to be good!

Dan, I am interviewing people associated with a particular facility. We have three gyms in town. I have interviewed trainers at all three. At these facilities you cannot bring in your own trainer. One of the gyms is 24hour fitness. Their director of personal training told me that low carb was dangerous. I moved on to where I am at now. Unfortunately you characterized the service I was receiving at this place as "dangerous" and I agree. So, onto gym number three where I have been sold utter nonsense (13% bodyfat in 6months, eat oranges and oatmeal). Is there another way to go about this? Any interest in moving to sunny CA? I hear the Monterey Bay area is beautiful!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 19:06

I wish I lived in California. I will be in LA in April for a week.

What services are you looking for from the trainer?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 19:36
Registered Member

Well, the 12 week, goal oriented fitness plan that you described sounds great, that is really what I thought I lacked before. A knowledgeable trainer who knows what progress looks like and can up the intensity or even scale back where appropriate, safety is important to me. I think I just need a plan instead of random exersizes.

I would like support for realistic goals like maybe 20% - 23% bodyfat. I guess I am a little sensitive about nutritional advice, 90lbs. in 13 months is well, nothing short of sucessful. I am wary of giving that up for someone who has never struggled with their weight. However, I would angrily dispute the myth that I am angry.

Good time of year to visit, LA beaches are gorgeous in the spring, perfect weather.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 23:30
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Actually, she told me I was angry and needed time to adjust to her way of thinking.

If you are not interested in eating rice and oranges, I would steer clear of this kind of advice. I am suspicious of anyone who would tell me what I am and highly suspect of anyone wanting me to adjust to 'their way of thinking'. Yuck! Doesn't seem like someone who would 'agree to disagree'. With your kind of success so far, it doesn't seem like you need any help getting your nutrition plan in order, unless YOU ask for it, or are interested in making changes. There are so many bum personal trainers out there it can be hard to find one. Does anyone you know use one? Sometimes a personal recommendation can be good - myself, I read a lot of magazines and books, also got some great info from this website http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

I watched the trainers for several months at my gym - how they worked with their clients, etc. and decided I would do fine on my own. It did take a lot of research however. To all trainers out there, I mean no offense, I am sure there are good, professional ones out there, it just seems hard to find them.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 04:41

Hey Carol ...

I am trying to remember a website that trainer's would list themselves into a serach engine so you could search for trainers in an area and contact them.

I'll dig it up for you ...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 09:18

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I think of it as an allergy. I do believe I am "allergic" to sugars and complex carbs just like some people are allergic to peanuts or strawberries because my body has a terrible reaction to it........ Perhaps coining it in that way would make more sense. They wouldn't push it on you if you were going to go into shock or something...... I would suggest you find a trainer that has at least read the Atkins book. Good Luck - Orchid
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:30

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Trust your gut

Don't know you at all from other posts. Just want to throw this into the thread: the most important muscle you can develop and strengthen is the one that says "No" to crazy ideas. Even if you ARE angry and resistant, and I don't sense an iota of that in your post, it doesn't matter, she's not the trainer for you. At least, she wouldn't be the trainer for me.

Could be that you need to find someone outside who can coach workouts from a distance. Or maybe you're not cut out to be a gym rat in this town.

I don't have a personal trainer; my experience is with hiring business / life coaches. I had one tell me I had to stop daydreaming if I even expected to reach my goals. Hum. My book goes to the publisher at the end of the month and I daydream just as much as I ever did, thank you. A coach, in my mind, needs to work with where WE ARE NOW, not with where they think we "ought" to be.

I'm a big fan of de Becker's Gift of Fear. It's about preventing violence, not weightlifting, but the core idea is the same: Trust YOUR instincts.

Good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 16:57
Registered Member

Orchid, I firmly support the allergy defense. I gently explained to the gal that I break out in fat if I eat these things not mention unslightly cravings. She laughed at least!

Dan, thanks for looking for the website. I think I'll try that and see if any of the people I know use the services of a personal trainer.

I really thought about it and I am not interested in increasing my carbs, yet. I am not in good enough shape to excersize hard enough to use up the extra. As difficult as it is to say, I will always be someone who has a tendency toward obesity no matter how hard I exercise. Although I don't know what this will mean for me at the end of the weight loss part of my journey as far as carb intake, for now I feel good.

cs carver I need to be, if not gym rat, at least a regular patron. I hate exercise but I am enthralled by the changes it made to my body and my general well being. No, I will not be discouraged by a few bum trainers. I plan to keep my double chin up and shrinking behind on that treadmill.