Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 20:38

Plan: adkins
Stats: 142/139/127 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress:
Default Day 5 having a tough time

Looking for a little pep talk...I am new to this Adkins diet and having a tough time with it. I do not have a lot to lose (about 13 pounds) but on a small frame (Only 5'3 )every pound counts. I did weight Watchers a few times and was successful but really felt like the point counting was not a lifestyle I could maintain and the 15 pounds would creep back up. Now that I'm over 40. even harder to lose. So I am trying this diet. However I am a veggies/grains kind of gal and all this meat sort of disgusts me. When I read the Adkins book it said no fruits and veggies during the first 14 days. I mean one carrot was 8 carbs! Its making me crazy. I really don't know if I can stick with it. And I yearn for just a little something sweet. I am confused because I read some of the responses on the Forum where everyone has jello but the carb count on the box would send me over my limit. Help please I have a lot will power and drink lots of water, just am not thrilled with so much meat. Does it get better after the 14 days? Also I am usually a person with tons of energy and this diet is dragging me down. Thanks for all and any advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 20:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/195/150 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Welcome Claudiams !!!!

i HAD ROUGH TIME THE FIRST WEEK. i WAS SO CRABBY AND DISCONTENT,
I DON'T KNOW HOW ANYBODY PUT UP WITH ME BUT I MADE IT THREW AND LIFE IS MUCH EASIER NOW. I AM ALSO OVER 40 AND THESE POUNDS SEEM TO BE HANGING ON WITH A DEATH GRIP,BUT YOUR LUCKY YOU DON'T HAVE TROUBLE WITH THE WATER. I'TS A HARD ONE FOR ME AND I REALLY NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE WHEN I'M NOT GETTING ENOUGH. THE WEIGHT LOSE SEEMS TO SLOW DOWN. JUST HANG IN THERE AND I PROMISE THE PAY OFF IS WORTH IT. I FEEL A WHOLE LOT BETTER NOW THAN I EVER HAVE. GOOD LUCK AND LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR PROGRESS.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 21:06

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the response. Guess I'll just go to bed so I can dream of broccoli and cereal with bananas!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 21:08
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The jello is the sugarfree variety.

Why dream of broccoli when you can have some?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 21:10
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I just re-read your post. Atkins allows MANY veggies on induction. You may want to go re-read the chapter where the long list of allowed veggies is....
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 21:11

BF:
Progress:

Ok that where I am confused. If I eat veggies I'll quickly go over that 20 carb limit. I feel chained to the meat because it has 0 carbs
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/205/135 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 9%
Smile Hi there!

I just wanted you to know that in the atkins book, i believe he says that you can have 1 cup of veggies and 2 cups of salad per day.. pretty much it just depends on what kind of veggies your eating. Stay away from carrots, peas & beans.. all roots, like potatoes ect. But theres a ton of veggies that are acceptable too! I myself try not to stress out too much and i dont count my carbs. If i go over a tiny bit.. I dont worry about it. The main thing for me is, im cutting out all grains, breads & sugars and im really happy eating fresh veggies & meats. The hardest part for me is drinking all the water i need..this diet seems to makle me seriously dehydrated! I hope that your doing better and if you need anyone to talk to please stop by my journal
Be Well~ Joy
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 22:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/135/120 Female 5 foot 4
BF:
Progress: 29%

All the information you need is also on the Atkins website (www.atkins.com). It lists all the acceptable foods including veggies. Take a look there and see if that helps. Also, make sure you subtract the fiber from your carb count ... that might be why you think veggies put you over your 20g limit.

Good luck!!!