Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 16:08

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default For you experienced BFLers who had a tough time starting...

OK...I already know I'm putting the cart before the horse, because I haven't read the book yet. I just requested my library bring it in so I can check it out.

But I think its safe to say it requires weight training. *grin* (can she state anything more obvious?!) And hence, my question.

I have a few dumbells ranging from 3 to 12 or 15 pounds. Not necessarily a set either (although that's not TOO expensive to complete). That's it.

So this would either require me to purchase equipment or join a gym.

IF I purchase equipment, how much space does it take? We're really limited there - so a bench is pretty much out of the question.

IF I join a gym...this is where my real headache starts. And also my questions:

How LONG does a weight training session last? I'm guessing anywhere between 45 minutes and an hour. If that's true, I have to be out of bed by 6:00 to drive to the closest gym by about 6:20. That way I could be home to shower around 7:30.
I'd need to be back in time for taking over with the kids (age 1 and 3).

If you know me, you'd laugh. I'm sure if I told hubby I was even considering this, I'd see the biggest eye roll in history. I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON.

So "Do it later in the day" you say...Well, that ain't such a great idea either. There's no real kid-sitting options at the gym nearby. And I have no one near me to leave them with...especially on such a regular basis.
Evenings are OUT OF THE QUESTION because that's when I work!

So...to those of you that had a bit of a tough time starting BFL, but are now so convinced of it...HOW DID YOU GET STARTED?

I know I really need to read the book still to get all the info, but to answer this main question I don't think needs a book.

ALSO, what's the alternative? I've been trying to figure out what I could do at home...and there are WAY too many options out there that I don't know where to start...
Some sort of dumbell weight training (aka Strong Women Stay Young) mixed in with a DVD of some sort (have been hearing good things about Pilates).
I just don't believe I'll get real results from that. PLUS, I wouldn't be doing them until the afternoon while the kids are napping...which is when I try to do about 99 other things as well (so the likelyhood of my sticking to it is rather small!)

HELP CONVINCE ME THIS IS REALLY AND TRULY SOMETHING I COULD ACTUALLY DO!

-- Loretta
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 17:50

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

Hey Ipoch,
welcome to BFL.... you will really enjoy it once you start. I wont try to convince you how great it is, I think that you will have to be the one to have the intent to really want to do it, otherwise, it probably wont work for you.

Going to the gym may not be that much of a problem since you alternate your weight and cardio days. You could start your cardio days from your house going for fast walks or something, or bike ride if you have a bike... If you have limited space you may not feel comfortable having all the weights there, and if you have to always pull them out to set them up etc each time, that may feel like alot of work after awhile.

I think the trick is to make the whole approach as user friendly as possible so that you dont have to put too much into 'getting there' instead, your energy is put on 'doing' it.

If you went to the gym maybe it would be an 'outing' for you to have some alone and personal time.

The book will help to motivate you too, there are some good exercises for things you should write down regarding your hopes, dreams, expectations of yourself, and empowering yourself to have the life you want and deserve. The pictures of all the before and afters are amazing.

Check out this site... look under the profiles and pictures heading on the left side of the page and under 'transformations' you will see some pics of people... they show amazing results.. it inspired me, thats for sure.

http://www.leanandstrong.com/

hope this is helpful,
cheers,
jodi
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 13:25

Plan: Lower Carb/BFL
Stats: 190/181/130
BF:31/??/15
Progress: 15%
Default You can do it!

Ipioch,

Welcome to BFL! You are lucky to have dumbbells at home, that way you can do your weight training when it is most convenient for you, and avoid all the muscleheads at the gym who only care about how much weight they can lift, no matter how terrible their form (err, sorry for the rant, bad experience yesterday).

I am a former couch potatoe finishing Week 3 (tomorrow!) and my dumbbells range from 8s to 20s. If you round out your collection, you could even keep them in the closet. And I believe you could come up w/ a set of exercizes that do not require a bench. I would love to have a set at home, the set up would be nothing compared to the drive to the gym, circling for parking, waiting for the machine I want to use... you get the picture. Still, I think even if I had a set, I think I would be more likely to use them on those occasions when I am really not motivated to go to the gym -- for me, getting myself there is half the battle, and I kinda like being around other people working out (muscleheads and all )

BFL resistance sessions are supposed to be 43 minutes, though mine range somewhat -- if I had a stopwatch, it would be easier to keep them consistent. I also find that UBWO take longer for me than LBWO.

I second Jodi on both the book and the website -- these help inspire me, help me understand how to perform the moves, and will help me when I rotate my exercizes at the end of Weeks 4, 7, and 10.

Regarding cardio, as Jodi said, that can be as simple as going for a walk/jog or bike ride. I too am anything but a morning person but have found that on those mornings I do my 20MAS first thing (today NOT being one of them), I have a lot more energy the rest of the day.

And of course, visit this board early and often, and we will all be here to support you.

So, I guess what I am saying is that if a lazy/ex-smoking/nightly wine drinking/chocoholic/tv addict can do it, SO CAN YOU!

Babs

ps-- Check me out, I'm a drumstick!

Last edited by babette : Thu, Jan-23-03 at 13:27.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 15:16

BF:

Hey! You ARE a drumstick!
I just noticed I'm a 5-egger...I guess soon to be a drumstick!
Funny what motivates us and makes us feel accomplished. :-)

Anyway, I think I have a plan. I hope it's not just excuses.

I am having the library bring in both the BFL book and a Pilates DVD for me to check out. So what I'll do is during the week that I'm reading BFL, I'll get up a 6am and go downstairs to do Pilates. If I can keep that up for 2 weeks or so, then I can stick with it!
Heck, it takes only 21 or 23 days or so of doing something for it to become a habit (sheeish...think of the YEARS of nail biting that set that habit in stone!), so I think there's hope for me yet!

Hope it works out!

-- Loretta
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 21:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/196/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Boy can I relate to this!

Hi Ipioch,

I've been doing BFL with my husband for about three weeks now and just love it. However three weeks ago I could have written your post. We have a workout bench in our basement with a rack of weights from 2.5-40 lb. The initial expence wasn't too bad because we bought used at first and as we improve we intend to add to the inventory. Mornings turned out to be too difficult for us as well so we work out at 7:00 PM. Believe me, there are a million things I'd rather do at that time but we have a pact if one doesn't want to do it the other must drag that one kicking and screaming down stairs! I't so funny though, when you start lifting the weights and get warmed up, you're glad you ended up doing it. So I guess my best recommendation is to get a buddy to work out with. It actually helps timing wise...i.e. while one is resting the other is doing their set.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 14:34

BF:
Default I think I will give it a try!

The "think" will change to WILL as soon as I read the book - hehehe...that would help, right?

Well, I just got back from picking the book up at the library, so I'll be reading it this weekend.
I'll also be checking out a few clubs in the area - 'cause I just can't bring a bench into this house - just not enough space.

AND...I successfully got up 3 times at 6 am this week, just to test myself. I CAN do this! If all goes well (and I finish the book and join a club over the weekend, I'll be starting MONDAY!

-- Loretta
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 11:26

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

LOR!

Right on girl! I know you will love it! YOu will feel more energy and will find that you will actually miss those workouts when you arent able to do them.

Heres to 'think'--'will'--'am'

Cant wait to hear how it all goes.. Dont forget to take all measurements, and pictures! Pictures are so valuable, they put it all into perspective. And, something that Nat had mentioned in one of her posts was that the more you see yourself in pictures, the more you can see your changes and get more comfortable with seeing yourself and being yourself!!! Take lots! It doesnt mean we have to see them, but you will benefit from them!!!

We are here to support you in every way!

Yah Monday!!

jodi
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 14:35

BF:
Default I DID IT...I DID IT!

OK!

Joined the gym today.
Will go in to get BF measured tomorrow.
I START MONDAY!

Now to get off the damn forum and finish reading the book! *grin*

Thanks Jodi for reminding me that I CAN (no...WILL) do it!

-- Loretta