Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 08:07

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 179/156/140
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default a tough day

Today is my Dad's birthday. He passed away a few years ago. No matter how much time goes by I never can get through a special day like this without regret and some sadness. One thing that has been on my mind since low-carbing is how much I would have loved my Dad to see me looking so healthy and happy. I was always slim growing up and looked pretty good and when I gained weight I always felt like I was a dissapointment to him. No, he never said that or even implied it but he was my dad and i wanted nothing more than to make him proud of me. It's sad that I won't be able to share this terrific feeling I have with him. I feel so much better about myself than I have in ten years!!!!!!! Sorry to be a downer, I just had to get this feeling out. It's funny how it's so much easier to say things to people you don't know than the ones closest to us, That's a lesson I learned the hard way. You can't wait to tell people how you feel or what they mean to you, if you do you will wake up one day and they won't be here.

Thanks everyone for your posts and your inspiration. I swear if it wasn't for this site I would be up to my old habits and weighing 20 pounds more at least.

PS> Besides this being a tough day, it is also my TOM, LOL!!! IN case your wondering why I am so emotional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 09:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I understand how you feel. My Mom died this year, my only child died last year.
Symbolic dates are always difficult. Birthdays, anniversaries, holidays. Although you doubt it now, it will get easier. You won't miss them less, you will just accept it more.
I will pass on a story to you. You may find some comfort there.
My Mom always had a more-than-healthy fear of death. Any aspect of death and dying. Couldn't touch our dead pets we had as children. Terrified of her own death.
She had a chronic, progressive lung disease. On oxygen for the last several years of her life.Facing her own death never got any easier for her.
In July she got an upper respirator infection. They gave her antibiotics, but she wound up in ICU on a respirator anyway. This was not unusual for her, her lungs were so weak she always needed some mechanical help before she bounced back. This time was different. There wasn't any improvement over time. She was a good patient - she knew the purpose of the machine and it didn't scare her. Her sedation was minimal. She was lucid, and although she couldn't talk, she could communicate by my going through the alphabet and her signalling when I got to the right letter. We spelled out our conversations in this way.
The doctors finally determined that she had zero lung function left. The damage from the last infection was devastating. They suggested terminating life support.
An agonizing decision, to say the least. Finally she told me "I'm not going to make it, take me home". They wouldn't let me take her home, but I started the preparations for her transition. She was still terrified, but didn't want to live on the machine. I set the date. Made arrangements for her friends to come and see her for the last time. She was Catholic, but had very little faith in any sort of afterlife. Not a metaphysical bone in her body. Truly believed that when you die everything about you is gone. Going home that night, leaving this terrified woman, knowing that I was about to sign her execution papers, was one of the hardest things I had ever done.
When I arrived early the next morning, there was a totally different energy radiating from her. Calm. At peace. Unafraid. When I asked her about it, she spelled out "Your son". It seems that my son Michael, who had died the year before, had come to her during the night. She wouldn't tell be about the conversation, other than the fact that she wasn't afraid any more and ready to go. In fact, she was anxious to go. She refused any meds the nurses tried to bring her. She wanted that machine off now! I told her she had to wait until her friends came, as they wanted to see her. I had told them to arrive between 9am and noon. She had last rites as that was a part of her faith. I am not Catholic but it was beautiful. References to our body being nothing more than a tent for our soul and although it was time to break camp, the soul lives on. Her friends came. They were teary and sad. She was upbeat and joking. The machine was removed at noon. She died 2.5 hours later. I wish I could tell you she passed on some great words of wisdom or even a couple of I love yous during her dying process. I can't. She was peaceful. I held her hand.
What I can pass on is that no matter what your belief system calls it, something about us truly is eternal. My son crossing the dimension to reach out to his dying grandmother is proof enough for me. It shows that those who have passed do see what is happening in this plane. So, in that respect, your Dad truly is aware of the improvements you have made in your life. I am sure he is proud that you are making yourself the best possible you that you can be.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 10:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

Laurie ...

I can't top the beautiful story Atriana shared ... but I have a suggestion ... perhaps you could go to your dad today ... does he have a burial spot or a special place that meant something to the two of you? ... you can "talk" to him there, share with him the changes in your life, how proud you are of yourself, how much you miss him ... write it down, or say it out loud. I believe, as Atriana does, that he is still very much with you just in a different way.

I'll be thinking and praying for you today.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:58

BF:

Laurie,
I hope you are feeling just a little better.
I've noticed this post is getting a lot of views, but few posts. Death and dying are still one of the subjects that makes people most uncomfortable. So, I am posting again. Trying to bump this thread into a more current status. Trying to encourage others to get past this taboo. Come on all you fellow low carbers - let's show some support - let's let Laurie know that she is not alone. I'm sure that there are none of us that has been spared the experience of losing a loved one. Pass on your words of wisdom, the ways you learned to cope, your support.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 12:13

Stats: 179/156/140
BF:
Default thank you all

Thanks

Thanks for the wonderful story (how beautiful that was) and for all your concern. I am feeling a little better now. I cna't go to his grave because there isn't one(he was cremated) but I will talk to him in my own later later.

I can't thank you all enough!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 12:34
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Smile My lack of experience and what it taught me

I have to humble myself. When my best friend and I started being friends, I used to complain about my parents. How they were bad about this and that. He told me to be thankful and then told me when both his parents died. Oh I cried with him! There is anniversaries and birthdays of his parents that go by with his full attention. He misses them dearly. What I've done for him is teach him to celebrate their births and to pray (we are catholic so we do these things). This has helped him alot. The point is not forgetting those we lost but to celebrate who they were and still are (in your heart). I just can't imagine losing my parents, my sisters, or my children. Bless all of you and what you been through.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 18:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

My heart goes out to you Ladibug....dad's love us no matter what.. he would love you more because you are taking the time to love yourself.. and eat better...

Thanks Atriana for your account of our relationship with your mom during her last few hours....very moving...

I have had two major deaths in my life....

I lost my brother when I was 17, he was 22. Suicide. Really hard on my family. Complete SHOCK for me--- until one morning.. I was laying in my bed crying.. and I heard him whisper to me.. "ramona.. it's ok.. I am alright' I had such a beautiful sense of peace after that..

Then last year my dad passed on after years of lingering illness's. I had been reading the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying.. and so it was much easier to handle knowing he was experiencing a very special part of his life... We were not that close.. but I do know we loved each other dearly... just had different ways of showing it.. I still go through bouts of missing him. SO.. I do what Bailey suggested.. and I TALK to him.. ONe thing we had in common is afterlife.. SO I know he is there... especially when I listen to our local classical music station.. and they play a waltz or a polka.. i know he is up there kickin' his heels up!!!

Again, my heart is with you...

Ramona
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 18:40

BF:

Thanks for sharing, Ramona. It must have been so comforting to get that visit from your brother.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 02:04

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

An amazing sharing from amazing people, in this thread.

It's my Grandmother that I miss but I also know that she IS with me.....the effect she had on who I am, my character. I also take comfort in the fact that I share her genetics so my body is part of her as well. I miss being able to talk to her and hug her and see her smile but she lives on in my heart and mind.

Ladibug...just keep on looking after yourself in a way that you know would make him proud and you honour his memory.

Marlaine
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 06:03

Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories.
Both of my parents have passed on--- my Dad several yrs ago and my Mom just 3 yrs ago. There are so many dates that bring to mind when they were happier times because these loved ones were there. My best friend lost her Mom a yr before me and we have both found that just "talking" to Mom anyway helps so much. She will be loved so much-- always.
Ellie