Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 08:28

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

In DANDR page 232 is atkins suggested induction menu. It does include meal replacement shakes as snacks (not as actual meal replacement). However I think that if you were to ask every person that has used them, most will say that it caused them to stall. I found the meal replacement bars to stall me and no the candy is definately not an induction food. You have to use your own judgement on it in the end but if you have other options, I would avoid them.

Jenn

Last edited by Elsah : Thu, Mar-25-04 at 09:28.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 08:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wasn't that nice of AN to write a breif - yet apparently altered - summary of the Atkins plan? I refuse to buy it, but I'd be interested in reading it just to see how else they changed it.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 08:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

I am a firm beleiver in the "oldtimer" methods as well - they are working wonders in my life, I am learning new things, and I LOVE it...I have broken my sugar addictions, and stay far far away from lc products...real food tastes so much better!!!!!!!!!!!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 08:40

BF:

I really had no idea about him selling the company etc. Makes sense as to why there are endorsements on things that I know were against what was written in the book. Anyways, I was wondering.. do I have a book that had non-atkins suggestions in it? I use Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. It's the updated revised edition. Is the induction list etc the same in that book as the one you use or was it tainted by AN?

Jenn
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 08:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
Progress: 46%

I have the same one, but my aunt gave me the old one...the only real difference i have noted is that the new one has more research, and offers more carbs...the old one was more protein based, with only a salad for carbs....I think 90% is common sense...if we follow the induction/OWL, etc and really avoid the junk we will be just fine...
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 09:17
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
In DANDR page 232 is atkins suggested induction menu. It does include meal replacement shakes as snacks (not as actual meal replacement). However I think that if you were to ask every single person that has used them, they will say that it caused them to stall.

Sorry, Elsah, I beg to differ. For a long time, while I was still losing weight slowly but steadily, I was having an Atkins shake for breakfast most mornings.

I'm in a long stall right now, but have tapered off a bit on the shakes for breakfast. (often skipping breakfast) Reminded of that, I just drank one for breakfast.

Signed, at least one person
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 09:21

BF:

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure. I am way past induction... actually i am on maint and working my way back up the scales.*or trying too* but one of these days after the baby is born, I might revisit induction to jumpstart myself back to a lower weight. I just wanted to know if I was following an unaltered addition or not.

jenn
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 09:29

BF:

Thanks tarheel I actually didn't mean to word it that way, I know that there is the rare exception which is why I think people shouldn't say that it's a definate no no to everyone.

Jenn
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:20
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

And that too is simply the point I was trying to get across. It is not a no-no for every one. I haven't tried hardly anything , as I said in the first post, and am in my 5th week of induction. And Kristine thanks for clearing up something for me... I didn't realize Essentials wasn't written by Dr A. I thought he just evolved or progressed into Atkins Nuitritionals. I hadnt even heard of the book until I had quite a few people in the forum tell me I should read it. I still have my good ol' DANDR how ever and that has been my plan all along. I did try that pancake the other day though after having read Essentials.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

One thing to remember is that Atkins developed his program over a relatively long period of time. I think some of the confusion is caused by the changes that he made in different versions of his book. I have three copies published over a 10+ year period and they are all different. The concept of "net carbs" didn't even show up until DANDR, did it?

Of course, it doesn't help the Atkins Nutritionals is liberalizing the "official" program to make more of their manufactured foods fit.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:48

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Even Dr. Atkins himself said in DANDR that some of the new lc convenience foods were ok....in moderation. So, it's not just Atkins Nutritionals that endorsed the use of them...and have any of you read Atkins for Life? Same thing there, only more so. Of course, that book is about maintenance, but still - he ended up falling really far from the all natural approach that he put forth in my first copy of DANDR, which is an earlier version...but even in that book he okays the use of bars and shakes - which at the time were the only products available. So I don't just lay all the blame at the feet of Atkins Nutritionals...the good Dr. A started all this himself. I think he thought these products would be a help to the woe, not a hindrance, as they can be. The curious thing would be how he would feel about it a couple years from now....how it would change his book. I think he would end up back to a more natural approach to eating and would have all kinds of cautions about lc products. But now we will never know.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:04
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Thats something to ponder on alright freckles.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/202/125 Female 66in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thanks guys for talking about the LC products! I did read the atkins book back in august, but LC products have just bombarded my area in the last few months. I do drink the shakes but only when i'm to busy to eat real food. I've had maybe 6 shakes in 2 months. And i find that if i eat the LC "candy" it makes me crave sugar so i just find it's easier to stay away.

P.S.
what does DANDR stand for exactly, i want to make sure i read the right book!

Thank you very much
brandi
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 17:05

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 190/190/135 Female 5'0
Progress: 0%

I think I followed the induction pretty good. I do need to boost my water, less diet cokes. More or Less I'm afraid to add more than 20 carbs..Though sometimes when I eat the fats and required salad/veggies..I still find that I'm under 20 carbs. So I try to add some more carbs.( Induction carbs)SO which leads me to my point..I think everyones body is different and different things make them stall. I was comparing myself to everyone in the beginnig. I cut my cheese intake down to 1 to 2 oz in fear I may stall. Also I'm a miser when it comes to cream cheese. I won't eat cream cheese if I have eaten cheddar cheese to keep my cheese intake down. I think you have to try whats best for you..Trial and error. I agree that the Atkins bars(candy) could stall someone, but I like sweets and don't feel that would ever change, I enjoy the taste of chocolate..so I may eat 1 a week. I have lost 17 pounds in 11 days..Don't know if thats good or bad, but I feel good. So Honestly my point now..
Trial and error, you need to heed the advice of others and work out your own plan as you go..
I've gotten so much good info from this site and it has made the difference..
And Of coarse, God is ulitimately responsible for my weight loss..
Thanks everyone..
Michelle
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 18:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad830
what does DANDR stand for exactly, i want to make sure i read the right book!

DANDR = Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, several editions, ranging from 1992 to 2002

Its main differentiation is from the original Diet Revolution which Atkins published in the early 1970's.

hth,

Doreen