Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   False claims about suitable induction foods. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=174665)

bcbeauty Wed, Mar-24-04 13:01

False claims about suitable induction foods.

Page 167, In Dr.Atkins Essentials, it actually says bars are suitable for induction as well as shakes ,Atkins 3 carb bread(stick to one slice) atkins waffles and pancake mix,Atkins syrup,Atkins Hot Cereal.

I know and I understand that these foods should not be consumed all the time. Bars and shakes he says are for when you can't possibly get a healthy meal in. (An emergency so as to not skip a meal). But all those foods are listed in his 14 day induction menu. I just leep reading more and more people telling each other that these foods aren't allowed on induction. I probably did too in the past .
Please do realize that for some people these foods may cause stalling or even weight gain... but for others they are just more variety to your induction.

Elsah Wed, Mar-24-04 13:20

I am so glad you have made a thread of it's own for that statement. I know everyone is wishing the best to everyone new starting out but sometimes they come off so forceful when it comes to the bar/shake issue. So many of us did stall on those things but you are so right. They ARE allowed during induction and if grabbing a chocolate atkins shake keeps you from going completely off course then by all means that is what you should do. I think experience speaks for itself and most of us are so happy to share in order to spare people the hastle of facing a frustrating stall but most of us did learn the hard way and for some of the new people starting atkins, they will need to experience that for themselves as well. Maybe they will be one of the lucky few who can actually eat the dreaded laxative bars without a stall. :)

Jenn

bcbeauty Wed, Mar-24-04 13:24

LOL Well said Elsah! I like the laxative bar part myself. hee hee hee :lol:
I personally have only eaten a pancake once and tasted a piece of the advantage bar once(1/8 of a bar) I just wanted to clear up this
NOT ALLOWED stuff.

Elsah Wed, Mar-24-04 13:42

I do feel like posting every single time someone says YOU CAN"T CAUSE IT"S A NO NO. I feel like going oh yeah well turn in your book with me to page 232 and lets actually look over atkins suggested induction menu... complete WITH shakes. I personally think they are horrible and should be avoided like the plague but it was nice having at least having the choice to decide whether they were for me or not.

Jenn

freckles Wed, Mar-24-04 23:13

Yes..this drives me crazy too. I mean, I don't recommend the use of them during induction, but hey, whatever works, right? This drives me ALMOST as crazy as the "You need to eat at least 20 carbs, or it's unhealthy." comments. It makes me wonder how many people actually read the book and pay attention to what it says.

idontno Thu, Mar-25-04 04:58

i think it is lc junk food.... and it might cause you to stall
why chance it? also when you get to were you want to go do you still have cravings for the real thing..... i m
just saying get off the junk food of all kinds sugar and the craving for sugar is bad bad bad... its like diet coke, what is in it thats good for your body, oh its ok because it wont make you fat, for me water, coffee and tea mostly water no fake sugar......

teresamay Thu, Mar-25-04 06:49

The point is though that he clarifies pretty clearly that it is for when you CAN'T get in a healthy meal, as an emergency measure - it isn't supposed to be an everyday thing - the whole point of his induction and book is to create awareness of what is being put in our mouths and to teach us all how to eat healthier foods that we prepare ourselves.

And a lot of newbies to the forum have never even read the book, and see the lc stuff and think that they can eat bars or shakes every day and that it is ok on induction, then complain because they can't seem to get into ketosis. So, personally, i would rather have someone tell me what is allowed in inducation and what would cause stalls etc..(which someone did remind me of when I first started this way of life).

We are all here for the same purpose - to succeed at this and change our perspectives on food and the messages the lowfat society has given us for the last twenty years.

And a personal note, am I the only one who notices that a lot of these LC products with the Atkins logo are really coming into full force nw that Dr. Atkins is dead? Makes me truly wonder how much he would have approved of this, being as he was so into natural foods for our bodies.

Elsah Thu, Mar-25-04 06:55

Very true freckles. I mean in induction if you are sticking to 3 cups a day like suggested with two cups of that being salad then it's almost impossible to hit 20 carbs. I do feel that so many of the people that start atkins don't read the book at all though and try to do months and months of 0 carbs without a single vegetable and then post ... "is this okay?" So I am more likely to suggest aiming for the 20 carbs and getting on with OWL as soon as you hit day 15. For me I felt horrible the whole time I stayed under 20. Only after I started adding foods at day 15 did I really feel good (it was also the first time I actually hit 20 carbs!) . But maybe that was just me. My rabbit eating do sometimes get the best of me. :) Having said that I don't think eating under 20 carbs is unhealthy for short term but I don't think it's the best way to go for an extended period of time. But I do think it's unhealthy to eat no vegetables. When it comes to the 3 cup rule... I think some people actually need the extra veggies and should take up to 20 carbs worth during induction if that is what their body is telling them.

Jenn

Elsah Thu, Mar-25-04 07:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresamay
And a personal note, am I the only one who notices that a lot of these LC products with the Atkins logo are really coming into full force nw that Dr. Atkins is dead? Makes me truly wonder how much he would have approved of this, being as he was so into natural foods for our bodies.

Yeah I was wondering about that too. Subway wraps have nitrates, that is clearly something that atkins said to stay away from, yet they carry the atkins approval. Before his death he had a pretty hefty line of products going already though. Maybe in the end he was just about the money. Who knows.

Jenn

Zuleikaa Thu, Mar-25-04 07:03

It's certainly about the money now that he's dead. Have you seen the new induction plan? All Atkins products, hardly any real food on it except at dinner.

Elsah Thu, Mar-25-04 07:04

ARe you serious?? that is just sad. :(

teresamay Thu, Mar-25-04 07:07

I think now that he is dead, his company is taking on a mind of it's own and becoming very money hungry...yes, he did have a couple products out before he died, but never to this extent - and he always, in every interview and book was very dedicated to his plan of high nutrient and healthy foods - I honestly don't think he would have approved of all of this - if he was wanting to make a fortune off of products and make a name for himself - he would have been involved long before...I just don't know for sure, but it does concern me..

Kristine Thu, Mar-25-04 08:08

If you want to know what Dr Atkins suggested for induction, read DANDR. The Essentials book was written by Atkins Nutritionals! The doc handed over the reigns of the company several years before his death. :thdown:

"Atkins Nutritionals president and COO Scott Kabak says the business's strategy is to place an ever-increasing number of products bearing the company logo--a red-and-blue "A"--in health food stores and then supermarkets nationwide."
- from Inc magazine, Dec 2003

Do you see a slight conflict of interest here? How can the company flood the market with exotic LC products if we're out there eating whole foods?

Do what you want; it's your body and your hard earned cash, but surely you can't blame the oldtimers for suggesting that you break your carb addiction instead of feeding it with overpriced frankenfood.

sjkling Thu, Mar-25-04 08:18

is the confusion over atkins advantage bars for meal replacement and the atkins candy bars? i might be wrong, but i thought that the "candy" type bars were not ok during induction, but that meal replacement advantage bars were for emergencies only? could someone clarify for me whether the two types of bars are considered similar or different? i just re-read this and maybe my question needs clarification! haha

shortstuff Thu, Mar-25-04 08:24

Kristine, thank you for clearing that up. I tried to get this across to folks a long time ago that Atkins Nutritionals are now doing what is called MARKETING! In other words, they want to sell their products. They don't really care if someone is following the eating plan the way Dr. A. wrote it and they don't really care if someone is trying desparately to lose weight and be healthy. They want to sell their products. That's the bottom line of Atkins Nutritionals - PROFIT!

I hope that what all of us are aiming for here (whether we follow Atkins or another low carb plan) are healthy bodies with weight loss being the side benefit of healthy eating.

The only low carb products I use are low carb tortillas and low carb milk. I can handle both of those items without problems. If I get into the sweets and treats I run into problems and cravings. I am leaving my junk food junkie attitude in the trash can and not feeding it with junk low carb items.

If folks would read the books that Dr. A. wrote and not the clone that Atkins Nutritionals wrote, I think they would have a much better understanding of what Dr. A. was striving for - whole natural foods for making healthy bodies.

shortstuff