Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 13:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 310/254/195
BF:
Progress: 49%

Popcorn, Popcorn, Popcorn, if you want some, have some!
Going to the movies is a special occasion, and there is nothing worse than going past the concession stand smelling that great tasting popcorn and then eating a bag of pork rinds. Have a small
bag or share a bigger one with the kids. Feeling guilty? Exercise before or after you go. You might not loose any lbs that day, but at least you will enjoy yourself. From my experience on induction, having popcorn has not stalled my weight loss at all.
I just watch my carbs for the rest of the day, and make sure to get some extra exercise in. Low carbing is a way of life, but once in awhile treat yourself, you deserve it. I have not seen any horror stories about a Low carber, eating some popcorn and blowing thier whole diet, it just does not happen, don't expect to loose any lbs that day, but you probablly won't gain any either. In any case, enjoy the movie.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 13:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik L
I have not seen any horror stories about a Low carber, eating some popcorn and blowing thier whole diet, it just does not happen

I have to disagree with that statement. I've seen many posts from people who started with "just a little won't hurt" and wound up off plan for days or even weeks/months. It may not have been popcorn specifically, but pick any food not on a low carb plan that a low carber may want as a "treat" and the result is often the same.
If you can indulge and get right back on track again, good for you! But for someone who was truly addicted to carbs, "just a little" is the kiss of death as Dr. Atkins says and I wouldn't encourage anyone who is not completely sure of their ability to stop at just that little treat to go ahead and have it.
Knowing your limits and your limitations is the key to keeping on plan and just might be the difference between reaching your goal and abandoning your low carb plan and regaining all the weight.
My nickel's worth...
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 18:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I started Atkins last summer and went to the movies 3 or 4 times. I couldn't stand pork rinds at the time (now I love them!) so I brought in a protien bar. I also ate a big meal before going. The smell of the popcorn which I use to love really turned me off. You may be surprised. If you are not craving carbs anymore the smell may have no affect on you. But just in case, make sure you bring some legal snacks. That's my 2 cents worth!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 18:26
Registered Member

Stats: 185/170/140
BF:
Progress: 33%

I get confused because on a box of Pop Secret butter microwave popcorn it says that there are 4 grams of carbs in a one cup serving.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 18:37
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default For me the object is to get past the smell...

I find the smell of popcorn intoxicating especially when making it for my hubby.

My thing to do is to microwave pepperoni into chips and then the house smells like that and i'm cool again.

Maybe you will want to bring a baggy of them to the movie w/ a diet soda and you will feel like you are enjoying a movie snack as well.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 18:54

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I'm gonna have to try that microwaved pepperoni chips. I love pepperoni! I often get cravings for something crunchy, and sometimes pork rinds isn't what I want. I tried making my own cheese chips last night, and it came out pretty tasty although it didn't look all that good. The possibilities are endless if you put your mind to it, I'd say!

I went to the movies last weekend, and I hid some pork rinds, a small container with sour cream, cheese, and salsa mixed up, and a diet rite in my purse. My boyfriend got his popcorn and it smelled so good, but I ate my pork rinds with the dip and didn't feel deprived. My boyfriend actually wanted some of my pork rinds
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 19:01

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by SAHM2one
I get confused because on a box of Pop Secret butter microwave popcorn it says that there are 4 grams of carbs in a one cup serving.

That sounds about right, but get out a measuring cup and measure how much 1 cup of popped popcorn is (that's one cup level, not rounded). It's not much. You also may want to read the ingredients label; microwave popcorn has a lot of hydrogenated fat in it. Not the kind of fat you want to be eating.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 19:45
Registered Member

Stats: 270/258.5/160
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default my two cents

OK, I was actually just thinking about this very topic myself since I am planning on seeing a movie this weekend. Here's what I'm going to do: I'm not going to let the evil popcorn scare me away from seeing the movie! I am bigger than the popcorn (way bigger, if you want to get technical). And here's my philosophy - if I start giving in to things just because I want them, I am only reinforcing the mindset that got me to this weight in the first place! No thanks. As easy as LCing is, there still has to be some discipline. I'm going to go to the movie and envision what all that popcorn is doing to the bodies of those poor souls who are eating it (LOL) and when I leave the movies without the scurge of popcorn butter on my breath, I'll feel like I am actually in charge of my life!

But, you know - salami/cheese doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

Here's my vote: Go to the movie, skip the popcorn and you'll feel better for it!

Good luck.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 20:18
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Hockeymom:

It's not even a question of maybe. It's a definate "no".

If you are doing Atkins, Dr. Atkins says to reserve a 2 week period where you won't cheat and if you can't commit to not cheating, then put it off until you can . The reason is to stabilize blood sugars. Cheating includes any of the induction rules including popcorn. I can't find the quote in my book, maybe someone else knows where it is.

If one was on anything other than Induction, I'd say "you know the risks, it's your choice". But the fact that you can't go to a movie without having popcorn indicates an addiction that needs to be addressed. Mine is sugar. We all have our own addictions and know that we just can't have a little bit.

It sounds like you already knew the answer to this question and made a very wise choice. Induction is hard enough for most people, why repeat it after one of those "just a little won't hurt" delusions?