Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 23:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 198/198/170
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I hate to sound negative but...

I hate to sound like a whinning negative poster. But sometimes I really have to wonder if I will ever get back into my 34/35 waist pants. I am now wearing a 39/40 and I feel disgusting. It's just too much for my frame. I have been trying to get back down for a few years but I just can't seem to budge. And i keep on falling off of the low carb bandwagon. I really believe in the LC way of eating now. After two days my head felt clearer. Now I know that sugar is poison to my system. But don't ask me why I keep on going back. I guess it's like a drug addict going back for a fix, or as the Bible says "a dog returning to its vomit." But I will do it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 03:25

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi Pudgyman,

You need to analyse why and when you "keep on falling off of the low carb bandwagon" and do something about it.

Is it because the food is around - get rid of it. Is it because of cravings - they'll go - if you keep ON the bandwagon. Is it because you like to snack or pick at food - buy 'legal' things to snack on.

Carbohydrates are addictive - but only you can do something about it.

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 07:26
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by RCFletcher
Hi Pudgyman,

You need to analyse why and when you "keep on falling off of the low carb bandwagon" and do something about it.

Is it because the food is around - get rid of it. Is it because of cravings - they'll go - if you keep ON the bandwagon. Is it because you like to snack or pick at food - buy 'legal' things to snack on.

Carbohydrates are addictive - but only you can do something about it.

Robert

Thanks RC.
I do have a wife and small child, so there will be some carbs around the house.

I think the reason I get off of the bandwagon is when I get upset. Things like an argument with my wife will make me go out and punish myself with some gross Dunkin Donuts.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

So you want to hurt yourself?...

I mean, you can do as much "damage" ;-) by stuffing yourself with a whole chicken or ribs!!!

I am no psy or so, but if you specifically go for high carb stuff, you definitely want to punish yourself.

One question: how long have you been on the Low Carb WOE?
From your post, it seems you know a little bit about it all since you say you keep on falling off the wagon.
So, really, do you crave carbs at all?

I mean, where are you located? If you are in the sates, it is easy to get out and walk into some Wendy's or Burger King or other fast food place OTHER than DunkinDonuts....

Do you always have enough low carbs supplies in the house? that would also help. I understand there are others in the house that eat carbs, but come on, what do you really want?

To lose weight or not!?

Easier said than done, but keep your eyes on the forum and your objectives. If you need some support, you'll find it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 09:36

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Well, I don't know what 'DunkinDonuts' are - but I know what doughnuts are so I can imagine. There is a really funny thread called 'I ate a whole chicken' - if you have grilled chicken places where you are you could try that! Even KFC if you don't have the fries and try not to eat the batter would be OK.

You may need to cool off after an argument - but punish yourself? Did you mean that?

Increasing your excercise might be a good idea. Then next time you have a domestic argument you could run around the block till you've cooled off. And it would help you to lose weight.

Good luck,
Robert
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 12:01
Registered Member

BF:
Default I am really disgusted

Now I am really disgusted with myself. I am back in 40 pants! I haven't been in this size in almost two years. I stopped smoking a few months ago. But I have been LC half the time the last few weeks.
Uggghhh what do I do now?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 12:38
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

What are you going to do right now? You are going to stop feeling sorry for yourself and climb back on the lowcarb wagon.

This is what works for me when I feel like I am going to fall off the lowcarb wagon and start eating junk because of pressures in my life:

I tell myself that I am going to wait an hour and if I still want whatever I am craving in an hour I will be allowed to have a reasonable size portion of it. Anyone can wait an hour. Next I have a large glass of water -- I have found that sometimes helps with cravings. Then I go do something that makes me feel good physically -- taking a walk is best, but a shower or bath is also okay. I have found that by the time the hour is up, the cravings are usually gone. If not, they are at least usually manageable, making it possible to have ONE cookie or a small bite of something else.

The other thing is to allow yourself some lowcarb treats. My favorite is strawberries with whipped cream. After all those years of trying to stick to lowfat diets, it is wonderful to be allowed to eat whipped cream again. If you check the recipes section of this forum, there are lots of recipes for lowcarb desserts.

My daughter made a batch of brownies yesterday, and my husband and son are gone for the weekend, which means that it is just the two of us in the house. If the boys were here, the brownies would be gone by now, but they are still sitting on the kitchen counter. If I can resist those brownies, you can resist whatever is in your house! I keep reminding myself how good it feels to be in pants three sizes smaller than the pants I was wearing last July. That's a lot better than the few minutes of pleasure I would get from eating those brownies.

Last edited by liz175 : Sun, Feb-09-03 at 12:39.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 15:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Another tip...

Don't let yourself get hungry on low carb. Make sure that you are eating sufficient food at regular intervals (ie don't skip meals or try to go very low calorie). When you are very hungry, you are more likely to eat the first available thing you can find or prepare quickly and that's most likely to be a high carb food.
Keep low carb legal snacks on hand, cook meats ahead of time and have them in the refrigerator ready to snack on.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 16:03
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%
Default Another tip...

Make sure you are eating enough fat. It really does fill you up and prevent cravings. We are all so keyed into the lowfat mythology that getting enough fat in our diet is the hardest thing for many people starting this way of eating. Try fitday.com if you are unsure how much fat you are eating.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 01:07

Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

That is very true Liz175!

Pudgyman, don't avoid those fats... (Like I do ..without realising it!!) You need to get that fat intake on track.

I think you have some good advice here. <b>How are you today?</b>