Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 23:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 66/66/56
BF:23%/23%/18%
Progress: 0%
Unhappy My stomach is getting bigger?????????

Hi
Can anyone help me with some questions.
I have been following induction strictly for 4 days. I have not lost on the scales and my spare tyre around my tummy (which wasnt too bad) has got bigger and bigger. I look 4 months pregnant when I sit down!!!!
I know I am in Ketosis because as a newbie I use the stix and am moderate in colour and have a change in my urine (wont give details!)
When should I start seeing a weight loss and will my tummy go down again?
I was slightly constipated for the first 3 days, whcih is VERY unusual for me.
Thanks in advance
Hellwoman
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 01:28

Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:
Default I hate to ask this...

Have you goine to the doctor to find out if maybe you ARE pregnant??
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 01:37

Talking No way Smurfy

Hi Smurfy,
No can do. My husband has had "the operation" and I am comfortable in telling you I am very faithfull!!
Its so weird though as when I put on weight, this is the first place it goes, so I am starting to wonder???
Maybe a Pre Menstrual symptom as I am a week away from that!
I know my body though and I never get like this.
Helen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 02:20

BF:
Default Just a thought...

I keep hoping that everytime my belly gets bigger that I am preggers.... I know that I have had the operation but I still can't help to hope! Just be patient, there are a couple of things that it can be or both together. First of all, when you come on your "days" you get ALOT of water weight! The next thing that can be adding to it would be constipation. I know that on this diet, when I eat alot of cheese, I get that too.. Just give it a week and see if it doesn't dissapate!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 02:27

Wink Hey Smurfy

I've only got one child, a boy aged 12, but my husband has 4 from a previous realtionship all aged from 15 to 21.
I would have had another and a girl, but lifes like that! At least one of my step children is a girl and she is lovely, all the kids are great.
Think you are right, as its nearly "that time" and I have found myself to be a bit constipated since I started.
How are you going? From your profile, you seem to be making headway.
Keep it up and keep me posted.
Helen

#6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 02:43

BF:
Default Headway...

but not fast enough for my tastes. I got pretty frusterated this morning when I stepped on the scale and it said the same thing... and I am finally FINISHED with my "days." Then I stepped on again, 2 lbs lost, again, 1 lbs, again 5 lbs...ARGH! I think I am just going to throw that $&##&~^ thing out the window! I have been working out everyday 2x 30 minutes on the eliptical trainer since I have started so I have no CLUE what is going on. I have constantly been in ketosis, drinking ALOT of water, strangely (this will sound nasty) though, no matter how much I drink I still urinate yellow. Sorry about that. I have seen such dramatic weight loss from everyone and I see nothing... what do you think??
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 03:11

Wink Hmmmmm

Dont really know Smurfy
I reckon the urine thing does change. I used to do low fat diets and have always drunk heaps of water. My urine used to go clear, but since I've been on this, its always a different shade of yellow. I reckon its the Ketones.
I have been extemely lazy and have done no exercise!
You are good. I have a power-rider. One of those American infomercial things. Its quite good but I never get on it.
I should walk the streets here as I live in a hilly place that is very safe. I sit on my deck (we live on the side of a small mountain) in the mornings and watch people walking!!! Thats terrible.
Most people say not to rely on the scales, but to feel how your clothes fit or measure yourself.
Was just thinking, I hope you can understand my slang.
Helen

#8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 05:05

BF:
Default I Understand

... what you mean about the hills. I don't think there is even 1 even place in my entire town. Right now it is covered in ice anyway and the Germans dont' really believe in sidewalks in alot of the small towns so you have to be really careful. That is why I bought the trainer, so I can work out without hurting myself. You might want to start working out on your machine. Slowly at first though.. You will feel better for it.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 18:12

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now

I am not going to weigh but once a week
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 23:25

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi ya'll

My weight has been erractic also...went down to 161 then up to 164. All within 3-4 days and I know it wasn't because of too many calories. Having a hard time getting calories up to or over 1200. Think I do what you want to do Smurfy....throw the $#~! out the window. Hate those things.

Smurfy...you are working out alot! That's great! I would say that your toning and building muscle which might be why you haven't seen a big loss on the scales but I bet your clothes are pretty loose.

I'm with Hellwoman and Ladybug...only gonna weigh once a week or every two weeks and same with measuring.

My clothes are so much looser and before long...I hope to go down to size 12. Might be another month but I can wait as long as my size does go down.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 17:07

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Give us a list of what you eat everyday...when..how much of everything..including drinks..

Alot of people say they are following induction...yes they are eating induction foods..but wrong amounts and too much of certain types

Give us an example ans we'll be able to help better..lots of things will bloat you up
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 22:48

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Cool

Funny you should say that. I feel so much bigger since starting induction. Not normal. I think maybe it is gas...or maybe I hope it is. Knowing would be better than just feeling so bloated.

YIKES!! Satan has not done me any favors lately either. I wanna throw it out to. Satan=Scale

I've been good on induction, but think I might have to cut back on the cheese, really cut back. I think I have about 3-4 oz a day, so now I'm going to stick to one. And try more veggies. Hopefully that'll do it!!

I am however in Ketosis too, so it is only a matter of time. Good luck all!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 02:43

Talking Baconbabe - daily menu

Hi
Here is a typical example of what I eat daily.
Breakfast: 2 eggs and bacon
Lunch: Tuna, (all veges chopped small), 1 stalk of celery, about an inch block of cucumber, 1 radish, 1 long green onion, 3 olives, 1 cup of lettuce ripped up and a big dollop of mayo (no carbs)
Dinner: Chicken or pork or steak approx 250gms made into a frittatta with the same veges as lunch and 2 eggs and about 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
Snack: 1 piece of ham with cream cheese (approx 1 tsp)
I drink about 2x 800ml bottles of water a day.
My legs and upper body seem less flabbier, but my tummy is actually bigger than when I started. It is not because I have lost excessive weight from anywhere else. I have not moved on the scales. Admittedly, today is the first day where my tummy seems not so bloated. I have had very loose stools for the past two days (sorry for the graphics!) No tummy ache, just know I have to go - NOW.
Hope you can help. Thanks in advance
Helen
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 02:50

Talking Hey UAgirl

Have you recently started induction again as I am nosy and have seen you have lost alot of weight since April 2001?
If so, were you bloated on induction the first time?

Helen
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 11:21
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Perhaps you are just experiencing the looser part of your tummy? When my fat loss was the greatest, my skin was the loosest, and looked a bit "bigger"...take your measurements and be sure.

Also, might be a good time to start working on your problem areas now that you're past your induction point, although you still seem to have some symptoms, which will pass as your body gets acquainted.

Now matter the cost, LC'ing in the long run is worth the effort! Good job...