Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 13:21
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/180/145
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Carb Count ?

Happy New Year!

I am past induction, still losing and have a question. How many carbs are people eating and still losing and how many carbs are people eating to maintain?

I have been upping my count as Atkins suggests, I eat around 50 grams a day and the inches are still coming off(I have no scale and rely on a friend's every couple of months). I know we are all different, I'd just like to see what the range is.

When I started adding carbs I discovered the kind of carb makes a big difference - a grapefruit put me in a a mini-stall - while a helping of mashed potatoes did nothing. I wonder if others have had this experience as well.

I find these forums very helpful. I have never had any success losing weight. Every story is helpful! Last week I got into a new DKNY size 14 suit! I have mini goals along the way, I splurged(well Ebay splurge) on this very pricey suit when I couldn't get it over my hips! I plan on being in a size 12 by March!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 13:23
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I'm eating between 25-30 carbs a day and doing ok. I really think this is so personal. Everyones count is going to reflect their own metabolism - do they exercise and so on.

Glad you can have so many and lose. Great for YOU!

What is your usual menu like to get an idea of carbs you can have???

Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 14:04

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Oh I'm so jealous! I have so much to lose and don't want to up my carbs until I feel that I have to. I still don't get the different kinds of carbs from different kinds of foods...maybe someday.

Anyway good job!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 15:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Re: Carb Count ?

Quote:
Originally posted by claire2
a grapefruit put me in a a mini-stall - while a helping of mashed potatoes did nothing.

It might be more a difference in what was in the foods than the carb count. Some artificial sweeteners have very little carbs but they stall many people. Mashed potatoes are pretty high on the GI scale, but grapefruit has citric acid which is a staller for some people.
I couldn't imagine eating mashed potatoes anymore..don't even have a taste for them.
The carb counts that everyone loses on are as individual as they are and depend on a whole host of variables such as age, gender, past dieting history, level of insulin resistance, and activity level. I pretty much stick at 30 grams of carb per day, but that's the plan I follow. Once I get to maintainance, I may be able to increase that to between 40 and 50 but that's yet to be seen.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/180/145
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default how I get my carbs

Hi, I never got back here yesterday. I use vegetables for almost all of my carb count:tomatoes,celery,onions,radishes,mushrooms - as I eat "chef's salads" every day. I never get tired of them. I have tuna salad for lunch ,or hard boiled eggs and my suppers are often just a piece of meat and a salad. When I eat out I often have fried oysters or calimari - and they don't seem to stall me. I also drink red wine with no problem.

I do miss fruit and may do a weekend of all fruit sometime soon to get my fill...

The holidays have finished now and I will go back to induction for a few days to jump start again. I found, as many posters have commented, that I have lost my taste for many hi carb foods. And thats a blessing!!!

Thanks for all the sharing!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 12:36

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I eat 20 - 25 carbs per day, consisting of veggies (salad) and my protein shake in the morning (6 carbs). I work out 4 times a week for 1/2 hour each session and walk about 40 - 60 mins. per day, every day.

Vikki