Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 21:21

Plan: Somersize/Atkins
Stats: 176/168/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default anybody pulling a spouse

Hey,

About 1 1/2 weeks ago, my hubby decided he needed to lose weight after he realized he had gained 100 pounds since we got married. He decided to go low-carbing with me. Now, I'm really slow, 1 pound per week on average, so I'm not a shining example.

He won't read the book but is relying on me to provide his meals. He is still drinking coffee and eating fruits on an empty stomach while at work. He wants to lose really fast and then go "back to eating sensibly." I explained that he wouldn't be able to do that because it is a lifestyle change, not a diet. He doesn't have a starting weight, but I think it was around 267. He is around 258 now but doesn't consider that to be "significant."

Has anyone else taken a spouse on the lifestyle change? Ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 01:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Wink yeah I have

Yeah, my girlfriend/fiancee has gained 15 kg on her thin frame, so (for the first time in her life) thinks she's going on a diet - The Atkins Diet.

But when I told her no sugar, no milk, no caffeine - the thought of loosing her 6 times a day coffee routine was too much!

She cheats on the diet all the time and basically can't stick to it!

Isn't funny how us 'overweight' people have been told all our lives that it's a 'Willpower' problem, and that we can't 'stick' to it!

I tell you what! I think 'overweight' people have the best 'Willpower' in the world, because we have stuck on all the traditional mainstream diets that don't actually work!

Low Carb is a WOL, not a diet!

LC_Dave
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:12

BF:
Default pulling loved ones along

I agree with you that we have wonderful willpower. If nothing else, a few pounds should make your fiancee realize what you have been through and maybe she'll stick to it better.

We have a saying here that you might share with her: Love is fattening!

I'm also wondering how much of obesity isn't really our fault. I was bulimic for years, when younger, but now I have found out that I may actually be addicted to and allergic to sugar. After weeks without sugar, I cheated and had four chocolate chip cookies. With incredible nausea, up they came! So...

Hang in there with your sweetie. I am with mine. Although he has dropped another two pounds that I know of (I've found them it seems and put them on ), he was wondering if it was working for him. Let's see, in the past 2 weeks or so, he has lost 2 verifiable pounds (I finally got him on a scale and documented) and possibly up to 11. He temporarily took his belt in a notch for a whole morning. Now let's see...is this way of eating working for him?

I think my children are actually losing some chubbiness just by cutting down on sweets and soda. Hmm...

Although, I must admit that I did scream at one of my children after she pointed out (repeatedly and loudly) a Krispy Kreme shop we had just passed. KK's are ----WERE----one of my favorite foods........sigh.........
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 20:48

Stats: 140/124/120
BF:
Progress: 80%
Smile pulling a spouse through the diet

I started the Atkins diet and my hubby decided to do it too. He also relied on me to read the book and the provide the meals. This made it really easy. When things like snacking came up we read the book together to figure out what was allowed and what was taboo. We made a few mistakes along the way, but happily he has already reached his goal weight and I'm still struggling with the last few pounds. It's been nearly 4 months.

Tell him to eat cheese or macadamia nuts instead of fruit when he's hungrybetween meals. I really like a slice of ham smeared with cream cheese for a snack or some pepperoni. If he takes lunch to work it's a bit easier to pack appropriate snacks.

Anwyay, it's a good thing that you're both on the plan - you can support each other and that's waaaay easier than trying to low carb on your own while the rest of your household eats pizza!!

Good Luck.
rhonda141
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 20:58

Plan: CALP
Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Spousal dieting

When I started on CAD/CALP, my husband surprised me by saying that he'd eat right along with me in the way that the book instructed. He works night shift so it's pretty easy for us to have our breakfast and most lunches together. His Reward Meal is his dinner which he takes to work each night. It's generally a leftover from the night before or whatever else he'd like to take.

He follows the program, but not the letter. However, he's been incredibly supportive of my efforts and doesn't mind the constant searching for new recipes (and having to eat the results of my searching! LOL) He listens to me drone on about these message boards and the wonderfully supportive people here and even has gone so far as to warn me to stay out of the kitchen because he was about to cheat!

Now he didn't read one word of the books, doesn't really help me prepare meals, but never complains about what I put in front of him either. He helps in other ways, like taking over laundry or setting the table, clearing it, putting away dishes.. things that he can do to help since I'm preparing meals more often and with more effort.

All in all.. it's working out great!

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 15:06

BF:

Thanks. It does seem to work well on some fronts. We are supportive a great deal, although I am still the main food person. Probably happens from cooking more from scratch.

His pants today were actually sagging to the point that it was uncomfortable. Yeah!

I wish I could say the same.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 20:48

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 225/196/160 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default bringing the husband along...

Hi all,

When I started this WOE in January, one of my secret goals was to finally weigh less than DH.....by me doing all of the cooking and my husband basically cutting down on some sweets...(he still eats bread, pasta and potatoes....)he has now lost about 12 lbs!

I guess it is like a greyhound chasing a rabbit around the track!!! I am glad for him, but it makes my secret goal a little harder to obtain.....I am a little jealous, cause he really doesn't have to think about it.....since I am in charge of all the shopping, cooking etc....don't get me wrong though....he is very happy that I have lost so much weight already and is very encouraging.

I have heard that it is easier for men to lose weight than women, since we are the child bearers, we tend to hang on to the fat more.....any truth to that?

Anyway....good luck to all of you and your significant others!
Carol
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 09:03

BF:

But I'm not having any more children! Did you hear that body?

Just kidding. I've heard the same thing about women hanging on to fat more than men.

Good support you are providing. Keep up the good work!

My own honey fell off the wagon and has drug me down a few times, too, but I'm determined to get back on induction and see if a few more pounds will come off. 8 since December and I'm tickled, though I wish it were more.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 17:37

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 225/196/160 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Back to induction....

Hi aztovaalex,

I check out the petite thread in the countdown club, and several of those folks are also going back on induction, it seems to work for them if they are in a stall......have a great day!
Carol
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 08:40

BF:

Thanks. I haven't explored the Countdown Club posts.

I'm finally back into Ketosis according to the KetoStix and I'm just tickled pink. I guess they are a tool that might actually be worth holding on to! Seeing pink on those things sure gives me encouragement!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 09:23

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

My hubby is now watching what he eats.. Although he's not on full blown low carbing like I am I still watch what i put on his plate.. He's not very overweight and I'm sure this will work for him the way I prepare his meals..
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 22:12

Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

My hubby does the semi-low carb thing too. He dropped 20 lbs but he really dropped cholestrol and sugar reading. Yah! for him. We eat similar things but he will occasionally eat a sandwich (with the bread) but all in all he is really supportive and knows he needs to stay with the program to keep his readings down.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 21:04
Registered Member

Stats: 272/210/150
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default together.....

(My weight was at 272 my husband is over 350.)
When I told my husband that I planned to start the Atkins diet, he said he would try it too. He said "Just tell me what I have to eat". I told him no. If this is something that he wants to do, then he needs to invest the time, read, and decide for himself. But I would not monitor him, I would not question him. If he wants to cheat, wolf down a burger, grab a super scoop of fries, please not to do it at home. I did not say any of this to be mean.
I explained to him that loosing weight is hard enough, battling the cravings, depression, mood swings, without having to monitor someone else going through the same thing. It also puts me in the role of bad guy... tracking his intake and pointing out what is wrong. He was a little taken aback at first, but after he thought it through, he agreed with me.

I'm happy to report that he has been just as dedicated as I have been. We are both still on the Induction phase at the end of two months. We share the shopping and the cooking and support each other without being the "policeman".

This may not work for everyone, but it works for us. Loosing "Serious" weight is hard! Loosing it for two, next to impossible.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 17:39

BF:

He gave up and regained it all, and then some, I think. I don't try with him anymore and am modifiying myself as I stink at lc'ing, but am holding steady, if not slowwwwwwwly losing.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 18:56

Stats: 300/295/200
BF:
Progress: 5%

I have a husband who is eating along with me, but he also has not read the book and sometimes chooses the wrong thing, in which case I have to explain why.I don't like this situation, but I figure eventually he will get it, and besides, it's great to have a partner in all this. I wish you well with your husband's attitude, just give him the facts and let him alone to sink or swim.