Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 20:47

Plan: Atkins / BFL
Stats: 145/133/130 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 80%
Question Designer Whey...???

I have a question regarding Designer Whey.....Since I've seen it used in many recipies here in the forum, I am wondering if it is okay to have during induction. It says it has less than 1gram of sugar, is this allowed? Or, is it better to use the Atkins shake mixes? I read that they cause stalls...Hmmm....I would like to use it in the flax and wheat bran porridge. Any ideas out there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 15:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydee
I have a question regarding Designer Whey.....Since I've seen it used in many recipies here in the forum, I am wondering if it is okay to have during induction. It says it has less than 1gram of sugar, is this allowed? Or, is it better to use the Atkins shake mixes? I read that they cause stalls...Hmmm....I would like to use it in the flax and wheat bran porridge. Any ideas out there?

Actually the Designer Whey protein powder is fine for induction, tho Atkins generally recommends 1 shake a day max (www.atkinscenter.com). It's bran and seeds that aren't on the Induction Foods list, usually.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 14:12

BF:

I was wondering about the wheat bran....so the flax is okay for induction, but the wheat bran is not, is that correct? I couldn't to find it in DANDR so I wasn't sure.

I've been eating this for the past week and a half, with not even an ounce of weight loss, could this be the reason you think?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi there,

Neither ground flaxseed nor wheat bran are on the Acceptable Foods list for Induction .. BUT .. the Rules of Induction suggests using either or both to help if constipation is a problem
Quote:
12. If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables.

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html

Just a note ... take your supplements and any medications at least 2 hrs away from the high-fiber. Psyllium and wheat bran especially will inhibit the absorption of many meds and important minerals, especially calcium and iron.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 00:29

BF:

Hmmm....I know about the flaxseed being used for constipation, that is why I assumed it was allowed during induction. I usually eat the flax/bran porridge in the morning and right after I take my supplement! Ooops! Glad you pointed this out