Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134.5/110.0/120 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 169%
Default Starting OWL - can I have berries?

I have been on induction for nearly 4 weeks - with the odd glass of wine there and then... and I am now down to 130 lbs. So I am pretty happy with myself and have decided to move on to OWL.

As the book suggest I will increase my net carb intake by 5 grams but I don't really want to increase my vegetables but would like to start adding berries to my diet. Is this okay?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 09:59
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yes! There is a certain order in which we're supposed to add things back, but I never really followed that because I was missing nuts and fruit so badly, and I just can't handle any more salad! Berries are a great thing to add back to your diet, especially if you're really missing fruit.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember the carb count for berries alone. Too bad they're not in season, because I miss them! Wal-Mart brand has a good mixed-berry frozen pack, that includes strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. No sugar or anything added, just frozen berries. I believe it's 11 net carbs for 2/3 cup, which is a decent amount. I usually eat a little less than that with some whipped cream...yum!

The frozen strawberries are also really good thawed with a little SF chocolate syrup (not DaVincis, but the thick stuff that resembles Hershey's or hot fudge). MMM...strawberries and chocolate...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:02
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi,

I think it's a great idea to move on to OWL. I did add berries too because I wanted something 'fruity' and I was comfortable with the amount of vegetables I was having on induction. As long as you don't go overboard - you'll be fine! Enjoy them with cream, mascarpone cream or yoghurt!

Alina
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I find the frozen berries to be cheaper, more convenient, and often in better shape. (No matter how much I shake around the raspberry container, sometimes it's just bucks down the drain.)
With frozen, though, I'm less likely to eat them by themselves. With the goodies above, and maybe some chopped pecans on top, they are marvelous.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Just remember to start slow. Only add in a single serving every few days until you know how your body willr eact to them, then slowly up it.

Strawberries and blueberries are the best choices I've found. I really enjoy taking 1/4 cup blueberries and adding it to a salad with chicken breasts, cheese, and maybe even nuts.

Strawberries can be stretched out by chopping them up before adding them to things. They impart a lot of flavour and sweetness in small amounts. Make your own smoothies with them, or if you choose to add back in small amounts of yogurt, sprinkle them in there.

I was considering a sweet omlette today. Basically you add some sweetner to the eggs and cook it very thin, more like a crepe. Then fill it with strawberries blended with cream cheese.

Mush berries into a small amount of natural peanut butter for a healthy PB&J alternative. Use fruit to cook meats with to give them a sweet glaze.

Ok now I just made yself hungry again. What in the heck is wrong with me these days. I'd swear I was preggie with the amount of hunger and food I'm packing in, but know for sure I'm not :P
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 12:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I remember the first strawberry I had while in ketosis... pucker-sweet!!! Very rewarding.