Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 20:03

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sub berries for veggies?

Strawberries are suddenly here and very cheap.

Has anyone tried substituting vegetables with berries? Nutrient-wise, berries are better than plain lettuce, and I am so sick of salads anyway. I'm still eating cucumber and onion salads.

It's so hot I have to force myself to eat, and I'm figuring I can use the strawberries to move into OWL. (Induction for about 3 - 4 weeks now).

Have berries vs. vegetables stalled anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 20:10
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Berries are definitely good for you (known to have nutrients that help prevent cancer). They are lower on the glycemic index than other fruits. They can and should be incorporated into this WOL. My first choice would be veggies because they have many nutrients and are lower on the glycemic index, nuts and fruit would be next but I would not forgo veggies for berries at every meal. Try using them before and after workouts (1 or 2 ozs of berries) when your body needs a quick "hit" of carbs and when they will be utilized most efficiently.

Peace
red

Last edited by red1cutie : Wed, May-14-03 at 20:13.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 20:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Chelle,

Now that you are in OWL, you can certainly add berries, but don't try to replace vegies for them.

There's a very good reason Dr Atkins doesn't permit fruit during Induction. All fruit contains fructose, or fruit sugar. And while berries are fairly low on the GI, they still need to be eaten with caution.

There are many different vegies you can eat. Have another look at the allowed list. There's a fair variety there. We tend to just stick to the "same old, same old" at times - variety is the spice of life!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 21:47

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I will probably just stick with them until they're out of season, with another serving of veggies every day. In Colorado, strawberries were going for about $4 a pack, and I found them here for $1.50. (I moved to Florida a month ago.)

I've been resistant to moving into OWL, and I managed to get up to 35 carbs today by adding 12 strawberries to lunch and dinner.

I've been looking for something a little higher in carbs before a workout for energy (can't exercise on 20 carbs/day) and I think the strawberries would be good. And maybe a tablespoon or two of peanut butter with them.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 21:54

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

IMO, I think that kind of change would be just fine! You don't want to become board with this WOE and that is one reason Dr. Atkins recommended moving on to OWL. He also suggests that you start by adding strawberries or any other low glycemic berrie.

Black57