Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 20:25
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%
Default Weekend BFL Check-in 10/31/03

Hi Gang,

There goes another week. So, how was it? Did you have a good BFL week. How were your workouts this week?

I gotta tell ya, I'm a pretty happy camper right now. I had a very good week. I feel I'm back on track. Other than a few late night snacks, I was pretty BFL by the book this week. I changed up my gym routine and am happy with what I'm doing now.

The rainy season has started here in Vancouver so I've been using the stationary bike that I picked up at a garage sale. I bought it from a guy that used it once and then had a heart attack. Kind of a bad omen, but hey, I got it for a good price....

HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!!!!

Last edited by Arnie_g : Fri, Oct-31-03 at 20:26.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 21:37
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Arnie:

I'm glad you are back on track. Good going.

Eight weeks completed, 0 missed workouts. This was an incredibly busy and exhausting week for me due to work. I really didn't think I'd get my workouts in, but I made the commitment to them, staying focused and organized (and getting up at gawd-awful hours). However, I feel like I'm regressing a bit in my HIIT workouts. I'm just not able to push myself as hard as I have been.

I switched over to the Ab Bootcamp program on HIIT cardio days. Another reason to really hate HIIT days.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 05:32
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

May I join you?

Second week of BFL under my belt. Everything seems to be on track exercise-wise. I can't bring myself to do abs on HIIT days, because I really like cardio and don't want to ruin it for myself. So I tack it onto the end of weight lifting workouts. But I'm not yet doing the bootcamp.

Eating is still in the...shall we say, trial and error phase. But according to the measures I have at my disposal--scale weight and a crude assessment of BF using a tape measure--I seem to be fine. I'll find out about my blood lipid levels in two weeks.

Took yesterday off and celebrated Halloween. It was an indulgence, but today I'm BACK!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 07:27
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
Hi Arnie:
I'm glad you are back on track. Good going.

Thanks Wanda, it sure feels good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier

However, I feel like I'm regressing a bit in my HIIT workouts. I'm just not able to push myself as hard as I have been.
Wanda

Wanda, way to go on sticking to your commitment and getting in all those workouts. I think what your experiencing with not being able to push yourself as hard, may be a result of all those early mornings and the exhausting schedule. Stick with it and when life gets a little less demanding I'm sure you'll see your energy levels for HIIT improvement.

Arnie

Last edited by Arnie_g : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 07:34.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 07:33
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTattoo
May I join you?
Yes, you certainly may, we like to hear how all BFL'ers are doing.
Congrats on completing the first two weeks. It sounds like you are doing very well.
Arnie
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 11:33
Get’n Skinny

Plan: BFL
Stats: 255/211/190 Male 73  (6'1")
BF:40%/30%/lower
Progress: 68%

Hello All,

My week was so-so It started out great and ended up painful. Monday and Wednesday’s workouts were intense, and I had to increase weight on all of my exercises. Ab boot camp really did a number on my mid section. Yesterday was LBW, and after I finished doing hack squats my entire left arm was numb. I pinched a nerve in my shoulder and it’s still pretty painful today. At first (since I’m over the hill), I thought I was having ticker problems… Thank goodness I wasn’t. I don’t want to have to sell my hack squat rack to Arnie ;-) … Anyway I think I’m going to switch to leg presses to keep the weight off my shoulders for a while.

Rose, Congrats on finishing week two...

-Dave
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 13:46

Plan: South Beach Mostly
Stats: 200/191/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I thought my week was great. I went to the gym five times this last week and had really good workouts. I can't remember the last time I worked out 5 times in a week!

I think I might switch my workout around a bit and go back to the free weights more on my upper body workout. On a lot of the machines, the plates are just too heavy for me to be able to do a pyramid program. So a lot of times on the lowest rep set, I'm having to lower my weight to be able to finish. Yesterday (Friday), it was my second upper body workout of the week and it didn't feel like a very good one. The same weight that I'd used on Monday was feeling way too heavy. So, I'll try the free weights next week and see if I like it better.

Nomonic - sorry to hear about your arm! Pinched nerves are definitely not fun. I had one in my leg a couple years ago and it was hell.

Wanda - Fantastic on the workouts! Not missing one in 8 weeks is definitely an accomplishment.

Talena
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:45

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Well my week got sabotaged by the fires here in San Diego. Air quality was extremely unhealthy and made most of us sick. The gym and most places were closed Monday and Tuesday. I took last Saturday as a free day then the fires hit early Sunday so by the time I was able to go on Wednesday I had been off for 4 days and soooooo anxious to get back. I upped weights on all leg groups. Strenght was a bit off yesterday on upper body for some reason. I guess what struck me most about this week is that I now crave going to the gym everyday; it's such a part of my routine.

Eating was pretty good considering I was stuck in my house a lot for 3 days.

I still haven't changed my routine and I'm on day 43. I think my project for today will be to figure that out.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:08

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default 11/01/03

You guys are all seasoned veterans and I just finished week one. But it feels so good to have finished it! It really makes you feel like you are on top of the world and can accomplish anything, doesn't it?

I let loose a little with the meals.. I have to admit I ate a bit of candy yesterday and some other things I shouldn't have.

I feel very good about this program and am very excited to start a new week at the gym I joined today. The biggest drawback is that I will have to get up even earlier than 3:30 just to drive there each morning, take dh home and make it to work on time. Listen to me complain, oh poor me!

Tomarrow we are going to the gym to map out the equipment and see what's available and maybe test it out a little (not too much on free day though )
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I missed Wensdays exercises, but I had some extra time on Thursday so I got to do a nice leasurly workout. I got all my BFL weights done that day without feeling rushed, or having to leave early. It was sooo nice

I did get out the door to jog a little this morning, even though there is a ton of snow on the ground. I feel so out of shape and wussy when it comes to running. It's sad.

I think I gained another pound of lean weight. I know it's good, but in a way it's depressing too. It seems instead of getting leaner, I'm just getting stockier :P

The weight from last weeks mini vacation came off. Then I had another peak, (think it was a high sodium day) and back down again. I also learned that making the mock mac-n-cheese is way to addicting and needs caution
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 15:41

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Well I've had a bad two weeks as far as BFL goes. In fact, the past few days I've been considering what to do going forward.

Two weeks ago I was on vacation in Las Vegas and didn't exercise once. Expected I'd get right back on track when I got home, but ... last week, my first week back, I was really slack. I did all 3 lifting workouts but definitely was not hitting my 10s. (today, day 1 of the new week, I did UB and finally felt back on track.) Didn't do cardio once last week, though I did do pilates one of the cardio days. And the eating plan, which I was barely holding onto before the vacation, is totally out the window. The only thing I'm still doing right is to always have my 1/2 Myoplex shake after lifting.

I feel like I've totally lost my motivation. I think part of the problem is seeing the photos from my vacation and discovering that I'm happy with the way I look. It makes me wonder whether I need to continue putting so much time and energy into working out.

If last week counts, it was week 8. I hate to slack off now, since everyone says the last few weeks are when you see the most improvement. But on the other hand, do I really need to spend another month on this when I already feel great about the way I look? I probably wouldn't get those great end-of-program results anyway, since I'm not doing the 6 meals thing anymore.

I am wondering whether I should cut back to less intense levels of exercise for a while, and if the inches start creeping back on give BFL another try in the spring. Would be interested in opinions from our resident experts. Will I lose more than 1/3 of the benefits if I give up with 1/3 of the program to go?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 16:52

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

sarah,
I have not been a BFL'er yet but am planning on starting Monday with my daughter. I have however had a liftime of sports and that included lifting before back problems knocked me off.
Anyway, I just want to say that it sounds to me as if you are burnt out and would like to take a rest and seeing how you are satisfied with how you look, I'd say cut yourself some slack. Having said that I wouldn't throw it all away altogether. It doesn't take long for the body to revert to flab. The "you snooze you lose" in this case would be muscle tone. The body adapts to a certain way of life which includes being challenged in your workouts. Not receiving that challenge it won't build and/or lose that muscle again.
Besides if you don't like what you are doing do something different.
Just remember the mountain it takes to get back on track, kind of like you already feeling now, its gonna be even a bigger mountain the longer you do nothing.
Just cut back and see how it works then assess again.
Just my opinion thru personal experience, and I hope you fiind what works for you.
Laters Bubu
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 17:10

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

ooops....almost forgot....

since I am starting BFL/LC on Monday, may I join this group ???
Am looking for people to challenge me as well as the workout.
Laters
Bubu
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 20:16
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Sarah- It depends on what your goals were when you started BFL.

If it was to get in better shape and lose weight to get to a level your comfortable with, then definetly cut back.

If your goal was to get into super physical shape, such as a fitness model, then stick to it.

The BFL exercises are very intense, and the program does require some level of comitment. My vote would be instead of pushing yourself to the extream, continue with a moderate exercise plan. Continue to weight lift as you have time, and make sure to include activity into your daily life such as walking, stairs, and playing with kids.

Remember exercising is about much more then weight. There are many health benifits. Heart health is improved, circulation and mobility is increased, cardio health is overall better, and so on.

Stick to the pilates and maybe add yoga for strength, stanima, flexability, posture, and centering. Do light cardio such as a brisk walk, hiking and so on. Don't make exercising a hassle, instead keep it fun and something you look forward to.