Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 09:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/207.5/170 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Mousse Pillow Chocolate from Trader Joe's

Anyone heard of this? My boss who's also on Atkins just purchased these. The thing I'm stuck on is that it claims to have ZERO NET CARBS!! That's unbelievable! I did have about 3/4 of it and it was absolutely delicious! She says she's eaten them and still in ketosis, so I'm trying to make sense of this. So, I read the label, here's the info, NOTE: the carbs on there actually read 16.8 g and fiber 1.6 g, but it reads Polyalcohols 16.4 g, Net impact carbs 0 g. Polyola: (sugar alcohols, Maltitol) has been omitted as its conversion requires little or no insulin and does not cause an appreciable increase in serum glucose levels. MADE IN SPAIN.:

Nutrition Facts Amount Per 1 serving Calories 194
Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value * Total Fat 16g 25% Saturated Fat 8g 40% Polyunsaturated Fat 0g Monounsaturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 5mg 2% Sodium 0mg 0% Potassium 0mg 0% Total Carbohydrate 0g 0% Dietary Fiber 0g 0% Protein 2g 4% Alcohol 0g
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 11:22

Stats: 160/127/125 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:30%/28.7%/??
Progress: 94%
Default cool

Okay, that does it. I'm going to drive the 30 miles to my nearest Trader Joes and stock up.

My mom recommends the low carb bread they carry, too.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 11:38

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

Okay, so what is a Trader Joe's? I've heard such great things about it but have yet to see one. Is it the ultimate supermarket or more of a health food store?

Tiffany
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 11:47

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

What is Trader Joe's? That is a complex question.

About 15 years ago, I would have told you it was a small food store that the *richies* like to go to because it had speciality wines and cheeses.
Now it is so much more (still catering to the *richies* who typically go on the Atkins diet more than say Weight Watchers).

I need to get to a Trader Joe's myself, obviously. Haven't been in years because I thought everything they had, Costco had - how wrong could I be? I will have to venture to the *dream* Trader Joe's in Scottdale (bound to have all the Low Carb goodies )
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 11:49
Registered Member

Stats: 171/155/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 39%

Ooooooooooooooooooh, Trader Joes, I remember you well........sigh.

Malitol is of the devil, though. Gives me the weirdest burbullyfeeling..feels like someone is playing pinball inside of me. Yech.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 12:18

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Thanks for the post I will have to check those out. I love trader joes.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 12:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and Low Fat
Stats: 160/155.5/135 Female 68 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Question Malitol...Sugar Alcohols

Are these things that can be deducted from the Carb content of foods?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 13:01

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Don't have a Trader Joe's around here but I found mousse pillows on the web along with a ton of other low carb products, free shipping on orders of $25.
http://www.dietlowcarb.com/newsletters/jun03news.htm

Last edited by gerriz : Wed, Jul-02-03 at 13:02.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 13:08
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

This should answer most of your questions about sugar alcohols .
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 13:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and Low Fat
Stats: 160/155.5/135 Female 68 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Cool Gracias

Thanks Lisa! I have seen these ingredients on Low carb labels before, but was confused.

This site seems to get better all the time!

#11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 13:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Richies? I've never been rich but I've found Trader Joes has wonderful prices on really good stuff. And they have unusual things you won't find in a supermarket.

They're getting into the low-carb thing too. Mine currently stocks lowcarb bread, tortillas, large assortment of low-carb bars, even some lowcarb frozen desserts (Hip Hurray's and Atkins ice cream). Oh yeah, they stocked Atkins chips too.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 15:48

Plan: Atkins, South Beach
Stats: 167/145/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default hip hurray

Do u know who makes Hi Hurray ice cream?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 10:29

Plan: Atkins, The Zone
Stats: 152/140/126 Female 65
BF:24%/22%/18%
Progress:
Default Trader Joe's for "ritchies"-WHAT????

I find the absolute oposite to be true.
The premise of Trader Joes' start was to offer premium "gourmet" type food that you would normally find at a Bread & Circus/Whole Foods or similar exclusive shops so popular in the late 80s and 90s. They were saavy enough to realize that people wanted premium food at a not so premium price and set off to negotiate prices with many manufacturers based on high volume (like a costco etc) or manufacture it themselves (or at least under the Trader Joe's name). What many don't realize is that you pay more for the advertising, mkt and overhead for these name brand items that tend to "impress". What we as a society are slowly learning in this tough economic time is that some $8 bottle of wine from a not so known winery can be just as wonderful as a $20-$30 bottle from one that is well known. Trader Joe understood this a long time ago.

mind you-their vitamins are extremely cost effective, salsa's are AMAZING, prepared foods are delightful, international foods are interesting, and their cheese selection is far beyond the super markets (at a fraction of their cost) They do tend to focus on health products as well now carrying a decent selection of low carb products. All of their health bars are the lowest price i've seen outside of a BJs or Costco. I might add-their personell is the friendliest around-especially for the Boston area.

I practically live there so sorry if this sounds like a promo-but I rarely shop anywhere else unless it's something they don't carry.
tess
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 17:11
Registered Member

Stats: 224/185/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 61%

I picked up a can of TJ brand soy protein mix really cheap, $6 (?). Mine had Vanilla Soy Slender and a tip sheet on LC products that they carried. I like the feel of the place.
Speaking of Wine, they also had $2 buck Chuck wine for $2.99 and some really reasonable prices on salmon, etc.
I found Greek Yogurt there that has 6g Carbs for a 1 cup serving. A little pricey at $1.69 but it is the lowest yogurt I have seen.

I will drive the 20 miles to go back.