Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 07:18

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default You guys are great!

Thanks again for all the replies!

dreis1: I'm not in Ketosis and am being very careful not to go there. I'm just trying to have a healthy pregnancy for a change. If I don't try to control my carb intake, I develope intense hunger from the overload of insullin and gain like crazy. (I gained 17 lbs in the first three months due to out of control hunger. THEN I went low-carb and the hunger decreased dramatically as well as the weight gain came to a screaching halt. I've only gained 19 lbs at this point, which is right on target with what I'm supposed to be gaining.)

I have never been able to find low-carb bread in a regular store. Always had to go to the health-food store and spend a bundle. I appreciate the tip and will look for these lower carb versions.

I have the original Atkin's book and will look at his recipe again. After spending a small fortune on healthier wheat alternatives, I tried many recipes and was never able to make a low-carb bread that I could even tolerate, let alone my kids! (I threw out what I made after having one slice and saying YUCK!!)

etoiles: I agree with you that shopping only once a week (or less) helps save money overall. I need to plan a bit better and spend more time getting a comprehensive shopping list together.

Thanks again, everyone. I really appreciate the input.

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 13:28

Default Healthy Life Bread

Gosh I'm having trouble finding this low-carb bread. Healthy Life bread is only available in stores in the mid-West and if you order it on-line it costs $8 a loaf!!!

I went to the Nature's Own site and although it has a link on "where to buy", it only allows you to put 4 of your zip code numbers in and then tells you it can't find any stores in your area.

I've been out of low-carb bread for a few days now and the kids are going nuts looking for sandwiches and toast. I wouldn't worry about it so much if my older son didn't despirately need to lose this extra weight, but I really want him to remain committed to the lo-carb lifestyle and I have to find ways to make it easier for him. It's hard when you're 11 to understand why life is so unfair and you have to eat differently than other people in order to look "normal" and be healthy.

This is frustrating!

Jeannie
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 240/186/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Do you have a Target store around you? Nature's Own also makes another kind of wheat bread that still only has about 7 carbs in it... and I know Target also carries it.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 18:51

I'll check my local Target. I didn't go there yet. Thanks for the tip!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 19:13

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Great ideas etoiles...even though its just me ... I'm only 21... and I buy my own groceries... so any ideas would help, yea i agree eating healthy cost alot... but hey its worth it to wear all those cute thin clothes right????

any ideas on cheap recipes????
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 21:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/185/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 61%

I found the Heathly Life bread at Target. Maybe you could ask them to stock it.

To save $$$$$:

I check [COLOR=red] frequently. I found a very large bag of Pork Rinds for $.99, Carb Solutions Bars for $.79, Hidden Valley Ranch mixes for $1.49 for (2) plus Gladware. I also saw DaVinci Syrups.

Print Adkins product coupons at atkins.com, it is on the home page near the bottom, it says "Download Coupon Now". It is for $.50 any Atkins product. Take it to a grocery store that sells Atkins and that also Doubles or Triples Coupons

Call 800-SOYMILK for WestSoy coupons

Go to www.adirondackbeverages.com and request coupons to be mailed to you. They sent me (2) coupons for free 2 or 3-liters and (1) $.50 off any product.

I picked up some free magazine at the healthfood store that had coupons in them if you requested a free membership.

If you like a product, go to their website and ask for coupons. Check unlikely places for LC stuff.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 21:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/185/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 61%

oops, sorry this forum is new for me.

I check Big Lots/Odd Lots for LC cheap stuff.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 23:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%

ok my new thing is i buy the really cheap chuck steaks then i bought a tenderizer mallet thingy and i beat the crap out of the steaks to make em edible. much cheaper then buying the expensive steaks. also you can marinate them in soy sauce over night and they come out really tender. also my mom just told me they have pork rhinds at the dollar store so i am going to check that out. i use pork rhinds for everything. try the pork rhind french toast recipe. yum. ok that's all from me.

Jon

Last edited by bigguyjonc : Fri, Jul-18-03 at 23:57.