Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Save cash on LC??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123192)

JeannieF Wed, Jul-16-03 06:50

Save cash on LC???

:help:
My whole family has been lc-ing for about 2 months now with great results. Hubby down 18 lbs, Oldest son down 8.2 lbs, youngest son... Well, he's skinny as a rail and we're just hoping to calm him down a bit.

Here's my question. Our grocery budget is really hurting due to this new WOE.

Examples:
A large bag of potato chips costs about $2.50
A small bag of beef jerky costs about $6.00

Large Pretzel sticks cost about a penny a piece
Cheese sticks cost about .50 cents a piece

Nuts and sunflower seeds (the other snacks of choice) are also quite expensive.

Regular, whole-wheat bread costs about $2.00 a loaf
Low-carb bread costs about $4.50 a loaf

Bacon and eggs for breakfast is far more expensive than a bowl of cereal. (Hard to compare the cost.)

My family isn't made of money and we live paycheck to paycheck, so while this has been a great change for our health, it's killing our budget.

Any advice on how to live this way and not have to file bankrupcy?!!

Thanks,
Jeannie

yvonne326 Wed, Jul-16-03 06:57

You can. I do it. Yes, my food bill is a bit higher but then again I don't eat Jerky (too expensive) or macademia nuts (I eat sunflower seeds - cheaper) and as for LC specialty foods like bread...I eat this only occasionally. My main groceries include cheese, dairy, lots of salads and veggies, meat, Diet Rite soda.... If you stick to more "regular" foods you will not killl your pocket. LC specialty foods should be eaten on occasion. Also, shop around...farmers markets, wholesale clubs, for the cheaper prices on produce & meat.

mystery2u Wed, Jul-16-03 07:24

Try nature's own low carb bread. 5 net grams ~ $2.09

JeannieF Wed, Jul-16-03 07:51

Yvonne -- you look great.

I could live without the "specialty" foods, such as lo-carb bread, but my kids can't. I'm trying to make this a WOL and they've been raised on sandwiches, toast, cereal, etc. They won't eat a salad, period. If it's just me and my hubby, we can get away with the lower cost bills because we can be reasonable about it and realized, "This is for our own good." and stick out the sacrifices of no bread, etc.

Also, I need the quick snack food items so they can travel with us (cheese sticks, beef sticks and jerky). Kids get hungry all the time and aren't real good about waiting until an hour or so later to eat. It's just a whole different thing with them along for the ride.

MYSTERY: Where can I find the "nature's own lo-carb bread?" In health-food stores or in the grocery? On line? It sure sounds like a good idea if I can locate it.

Thanks for the replies!!

Jeannie

mystery2u Wed, Jul-16-03 07:58

I'm in Richmond, VA. It's pretty easy to find. Food Lion, Ukrops, Pathmark etc. It's really good and low costs. I also go to my grocery store early in the morning for reduced price meats. 1/2 price if the date is going to expire soon. Ask you local grocery store when they put out reduced price foods. Usually it's meats and vegetables.

mystery2u Wed, Jul-16-03 08:00

Jeannie,

I always wondered if it's safe to do LC while pregnant. My DH and I will try for a baby the end of the year, but I don't want to ruin all my progress. Are you doing a modified version?

LadyBelle Wed, Jul-16-03 08:16

Maintanance is fine while pregnant, just don't try to lose weight. It's good infact because you are eating more nutrient dense food instead of empty sugar and cals.

For saving cash. Don't buy jerky, it is usualy loaded with sugar. Make your own by leaving it in the oven overnight, there is a recipe in the recipes section. It's a ton cheaper, plus you control the marinade. Use less LC bread. If you want a samwich, try a roll up. Put the cheese on the slice of meat, or even spread the meat with mayo and roll it up. Wrap a lettece leaf around the outside to include a veggie. Shop sales. You usualy have to buy family packs to get a good deal, just seperate the meat out and freeze individual servings. That way you can grab just one when your hungry, or enough for a family meal. Eggs are extreamly cheap, if yor store charges alot, shop somewhere else. Instead of bacon which has a ton of sodium and possibly sugar, dice up left over meat and toss it with scrambled eggs. Look into making Zucchini has browns for sunny side up eggs. Buy string cheese by the large pack, still expencive, but better. You can also buy a hunk of cheese and slice it into individual servings. Not as much fun as cheese sticks, but alot cheaper. Nuts and seeds can be expencive, they can also cause stalls. Why not brainstorm other snacks with the family and save those for treats. Make cheese chips by cooking a thin layer of cheese until crispy.

Look through the recipe section on here, and on the Atkins site. Getting one or two LC cookbooks could also help. I have one that has 0 carb waffles it recomends using for snacks. How old is your son? If he's still growing he may need more nutricion and should move to a more lenient plan then you and your husband. Are you using the kids CAD book? If he can have more linient, keep fresh berries around for a snack now that they are in season. Maybe mix them with cottage cheese if it's allowed on CAD for a protien source.

justcindy Wed, Jul-16-03 08:21

Go first thing in the morning to the grocery to get the reduced price meats. Every store in my area does this but you have to go early...like before 8am. I just bought 6 one pound packs of sausage for 99 cents each! I really want a deep freeze too...hhhmmm think I will check around for a used one.

JeannieF Wed, Jul-16-03 08:56

Mystery:

Doing lo-carb can be safe, but you need to be careful not to go into Ketosis. I do a modified version of CAD (more fruits) but generally try not to go over 75 carbs a day. I try to get those carbs mostly by eating fruits and complex carbs. This is my 4th pregnancy and with my 3 previous pregnancies I gained 50 lbs each time and was uncontrollably hungry. It took me 2 years to lose the weight each time.

With this pregnancy, I'm in week 25 and have gained 19 lbs so far with noticably reduced hunger. If I continue on at my current rate, I will have gained 30 - 35 lbs at the end, which is a definite improvement over the past and within the recommended range for weight gain.

Ladybelle:

We are following the advice and guidelines of the CAD book for kids. (What a GREAT book this is.) My son is eating healthier than he ever has on this WOE, so I have a hard time believing he isn't getting enough nutrients NOW. Before, he ate cereal, junk and more junk. Now he eats meat, eggs, veggies, yogurt, cheese and has his additional carb meal (RM) that includes a treat, if he wants it. It's been a great change for our whole family.

Also -- I had no idea grocery stores had their meats on sale early in the AM. I need to check this out. I used to buy bagels and donuts like this (hee hee) Go and get the packaged, day old stuff. Also, I usually by my beef and pork straight from the farmer a half-a-cow and a half-a-pig at a time. It's definitely the healthiest and the cheepest way to go.
It's just that bread and snacky-type items that are killing my budget!!

Thanks, again, everyone.

Jeannie

fitznoski Wed, Jul-16-03 09:32

Our stores stopped discounting

Our area ShopRites used to discount meat that was on it's last day at 8 pm each night. Used to be able to get great buys, especially on fresh hamburger. They stopped doing this years ago. Wonder what they do with the meat now? Maybe they use it for the pre-cooked items because that section has been growing like crazy the past few years.

Stop and Shop will put $1 or $2 dollars off stickers on some of the almost expired meat but it usually looks so sad I keep away from it.

We've been keeping costs down by drinking/eating yogurt shakes for breakfast. Whole milk yogurt (1/2+ cup), flax seed (1/4 cup), fruit (1/2 cup) with matching or vanilla Davinci syrup (we have almost all of them) to taste and LOTS of ice so the blender is almost filled. Feeds 3 or 4. I'm sick of eggs anyway and these are great for a quick breakfast or lunch, especially on a hot day.

Barb

PS - I've used cottage cheese instead of yogurt with good results.

hippygal Wed, Jul-16-03 11:39

I usually stick to chicken and lots of salad and veggies. This is cheap food. Steaks for me are only when they go on sale. That is a must. I refuse to pay regualr price for staeks.

Swirl825 Wed, Jul-16-03 11:46

Nature's Own low carb bread

Jeannie,

I found the Nature's Own Low carb bread at my Wal-Mart! It's brand new from what I understand, and it's not all that bad! I'm sure grocery stores like Kroger carry it also, it's probably just really expensive! :agree:

texascarl Wed, Jul-16-03 20:11

Costco = cheap ready-made jerky ($.60 per 1 oz serving) eggs, milk and meat. Always good prices on cheese, baby salad greens & big avocados. Great price on almonds ($2/lb) and dried apricots. 1 oz of almonds is my 'hi fiber/hi pro snack' after induction. Could you give the kids almonds & fruit when you travel? It's what I keep in my car, it's surprisingly satisfying, just don't tell them it's good for 'em. Won't/don't eat nuts? Roll up cream cheese or neufchatel in salami or deli ham for 'pinwheels'. Pinned with a toothpick and kept in your lunch cooler, they'll keep well on a trip.

Local grocer has a sale starting today on frozen pork tenderloins $1.99 lb in cry-o-vac...I bought 4 & will go back before the sale ends. Tasty and a nice, lean alternate to chicken breast/beef sirloin & eye of round (my other mainstays). If we want that hi-pro glo, gotta shop the sales.

dreis1 Wed, Jul-16-03 21:57

Amen to the $$$ it costs to weigh less. Our area grocery stores discount their meat around 6-8pm and Super K-Mart gives the best deals on meat reductions.

While at Super Target, I found a cereal that has 7g of carbs/1/2cup. It's called Hi-Lo by Back to Nature, www.organicmilling.com. Frosted Flakes it's not, but at $3.65 a box not bad for a low C breakfast. It would probably taste really good w/Soy Slender Vanilla or Chocolate Soy Milk (call 1-800-SOYMILK for coupons). I just tried it out of the box.

Total Carbs 12g per 1/2 cup serving
less fiber - 5g
Net Carbs 7g

Malt-O-Meal had a Strawberry Flake version that was 15g net, I didn't get it because I am still in induction but your kids could probably get away with it. It was a rather large bag for about $3.

OK, so I shop alot, while also at Target, I found Healthy Life Bread, they have White & Wheat. I bought the white it has 6g net carbs/slice and it cost $2.09. www.healthylifebread.com

What is this CAD book for Kids?

Are you up to baking/cooking LC things? I have an Atkins bread recipe out of an older version of Atkins for Life that I can find and post.

:baby: I had gestational diabetes while pregnant (my son is 3 months old today) and the dietician advised that if you are in ketosis, the acid (like glucose) can cross the placenta and possible cause learning disabilities. I would definetly suggest you use the Keto-Strips to make sure you don't go into Ketosis. Good luck to you both on your pregnancies, healthy babies are definetly a blessing.

etoiles Wed, Jul-16-03 23:36

My DH and I are also stricter budget wise about eating low carb.

Some things we do to buy cheap is
- each week when the fliers come in the mail I look though them from all stores and on a sheet of paper list what is on sale where. If we got the coupon section I would do the same thing. Then on our shopping day we go to several stores to get the best prices on each item. We have even been known to put a cooler in the trunk so we would not have to go home until the shopping was done. When cheap things are on sale we stock up and freeze it, and sometimes we plan our menus around items on sale.

Another thing I noticed is that the less you go grocery shopping the less you spend so we always plan breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks and then go shopping for a week so we dont have to go back.