Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:16

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 214/207/155 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 12%
Exclamation Loosing Momentum

Well, I made the change over to this WOL about a month ago. So far I have lost 10lbs and gone down one size already in my clothing. Such quick results after living the "Diet" life and constantly gaining weight for over 10 years was just a god send miracle in my eyes.

But now, I find that I am having odd cravings. Well, not really cravings, because I couldn't say what it is I want to eat. I just don't feel satisfied with what I have been eating. So I think, hey, maybe I will cheat just this once and have a sinkers. Gosh, of all things to cheat with. Or maybe a bag of chips (My huge addition and main cause of most of my weight gain.)

I just don't know what to do or how to stop these random cravings for anything bad. Doesn't matter what, just something I am not suppose to eat. Its like an obsession. Anyone have any idea's?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 16:18
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 185/177/135 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Cravings...

I deal with my cravings by finding out where they are coming from.
Ask yourself:

1. Are you really craving a forbidden food or are you craving a hug, a new job, that nice doohickey you saw at the store the other day but didn't buy, or a vacation?

2. Are you craving a forbidden food because you are sad, lonely, mad, or bored?

3. Are you craving a forbidden food because it's forbidden, and therefore oh-so-attractive?

4. Are you craving a forbidden food because you actually want it?

If your answer is 3 or 4, then maybe you should "unforbid" the food. You aren't a failure if you eat what you are "not" supposed to eat. Your success lies in the fact that you are eating what you ARE supposed to eat: fresh foods, vegetables, meats, eggs, whole grains, and fruits.

Imagine what will happen if you do eat what you are craving (as much as you want). Will you get struck by lightning? Will you gain your ten pounds back, and then some? Will you be a miserable failure for the rest of your life? Will you want more? Will you be satisfied and continue with your eating plan?

If your answer is 1, then you might consider treating yourself to the doohickey, visiting a friend, or making some life changes.

If your answer is 2, then you should find some way to take care of yourself and your feelings other than food. Maybe make a list of things you like to do. I like to go for walks, read historical romances, go to the flea market, and take baths. Taking baths actually helps A LOT for cravings and binging, I don't know why.

If you do decide to eat the food, you should eat it with or after a meal so the carb/sugar rush doesn't make you sick. You should eat it in public, too, or at least in front of someone, and not feel guilty about it. (This idea goes along with "allowing" yourself, because you're not really allowing yourself if you covertly sneak food).

"Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating" by Geneen Roth talks about the things I've listed here. Even if you don't have a problem with compulsive eating, there are some great insights on cravings that are worth reading.

I hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 16:56

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Saramun - what an excellent reply!

I agree with everything you wrote. I was going to ask scheissie why she thought she was self-sabatoging herself and was this "not quite a craving" more self-sabatoge and/or emotional eating.

Lots of us on this website have mentioned cravings. I too experienced cravings for quite a while but they have decreased with time. And now when I do have a craving and I eat (for instance) a piece of chocolate, it either doesn't taste as good as I remembered or I don't want nearly as much and I hardly experience cravings anymore.

If you're craving (example) chips - then purchase a single serving package and allow yourself to eat and enjoy them. Just don't purchase a HUGE bag of chips and finish it. This way you can have a taste of what you crave (with a small bag) but not do too much damage. This method may help you stay on TSP and continue to loose weight while your cravings diminish and possibly you won't feel so deprived.

Hope this helps. Congratulations on loosing 10 pounds!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 17:53

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default I had a hamburger and fries

Last night. I had been wanting (not craving) a hamburger and fries for a long time (at least 2 or 3 months), but it never was the right time. Last night was right. And I enjoyed every single bite, although the bun was too sweet.

My point is that if you look on occassional divergences from low-carbing as indulgences and really enjoy them and plan them, you are satisfied with a smaller amount and you don't crave more later.

And it is important not to make food a reward or an emotional panacea.

;-Deb
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 11:45

BF:

It was definitely an emotional craving. My boss had just assigned me to a project that I didn't want to do. I was in search of some comfort food to get me through the task (about a 3 hours computer research job). I went for the usual to get me through it.

I appreciate the helpful responses from all of you, and plan on picking up that book.

Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 08:10
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hello,

I agree with what everyone else said and would just like to tell you what I did last night - I am normally very good about staying right on plan, but yesterday was the first really summer like day that we had, I worked hard out in the garden and had been true to plan all day - we were bbqing for supper and I knew I really really wanted burgers - I had 2, and then I did sneak a little forbidden "middle of a danish" but I thouroghly enjoyed my meal and when it was done it was done. I was very satisfied, did not feel in the least guilty because I knew I would get right back on track this morning which I have done no problem - no craving. The last time I really wanted something like that I denied myself - I had a sudden urge to eat a chocolate covered granola bar and I denied that urge - what happened was that I nibbled all day on legal items and was not satisfied - in the end I ate 2 granola bars. Since then I am convinced that if I would have eaten just 1 in the first place it would have been over and done with. I'm not saying that this would work for you, you know yourself and know whether eating something would lead to an uncontrolled situation or if a small quantity would satisfy you.

If you go with the attitude that you will have a small serving of what you desire - it might work in your favour. Of course I am not suggesting that this be a frequent habit.

Lots of Luck
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 22:15

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%

"But now, I find that I am having odd cravings. Well, not really cravings, because I couldn't say what it is I want to eat. I just don't feel
satisfied with what I have been eating."

I *SO* identify with this. Sometimes I have cravings for specific things, but other times I don't know what I want. That post by saramun was great, however...sometimes I think that none of those questions will find the answer. I just miss being able to eat [whatever] and enjoy it. If I were to eat it and not enjoy it as much, that would just add to the melancholy--because I'd lost something I once enjoyed. How do you replace something that once brought so much satisfaction, even if it wasn't healthy?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 14:26

BF:

I am getting better at not getting frustrated when I do give in to the random cravings. I just have to keep in mind that I am doing way better than I was last fall. I stopped drinking Soda, stopped smoking, and stopped eating pasta (which I had everyday before adopting this WOL.)

I went completely cold turkey when I began, and was able to keep it up for the first month. When I finally did have the bag of chips and soda, it was like I totally failed. I think I was on my sugar low when I wrote the initial post. I was definitely beating myself up about the binge. But really, it wasn't that big of a deal. I am still not smoking, rarely drink soda, and don’t eat any pasta.

I also hadn't worked out for about a week. Working out really helps curb my cravings for carbs and sugar. And the emotional benefits are immense.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 18:45

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Moderation is the key

I find that for me, saying "no" doesn't work. I either say later to myself and mean it (and usually forget later) or I go ahead and have a little, little being the operative word. I also don't see it as cheating or even getting off track. At all times I am a low-carber and I am following the low-carb (a la TSP) way of life. Sometimes, not often, I eat foods with higher concentrations of carbs in them. But that doesn't mean I have done anything wrong or left my way of life at all.

This attitude has kept me on the low-carb way of life for over 15 months now and I never feel deprived. I can eat anything I want to eat. It all comes down to the real question: what do I CHOOSE to eat? Most of the time I choose to eat true low-carb. But when I don't, I'm fine with it and continue on as a low-caber.

So when I had my hamburger and fries, I was satisfied with just the one time, I chose to eat them. But I never lost my mindset of being a low-carber. And I haven't even thought about them again except as relates to this thread. BTW: The fries were really great!

;-Deb