Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 15:40
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Post A Doctor's Explanation for a Stall

Before I done this way of LCing, I done another LC w/o/e, lost 26# in 4 wks. The name of this diet was The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet, by Irwin Max Stillman,M.D., and Samm Sinclair Baker. They also wrote The Doctor's Quick Inches Off Diet. I was reading today in the inches off diet book and in the back was a Q & A chapter. I came across this & thought that I would share it with all of my fellow LC'ers... it is an exellent answer as to why sometimes there is a stall after big losses, and MAY apply in someone's stall.

Quote:
Q.: I lost an average of 8 lb. a week for a total of 24 lost in 3 weeks,then only lost 2 lb. in the next week. Am I doing something wrong? A.: It sometimes happens on a quick weight loss or fasting diet, that you lose weight quickly for a number of weeks, then find that one week the scale only shows a few pounds loss.Stay on the diet,since you are still losing weight that will show on the scale the following week or two. What is happening is that your fat is being pulled out of the fat depots in your body and being transformed into free fatty acids, which in turn are being burnt up in energy.While this process is going on, some of the fat is being turned into water.Furthermore, a great deal ofthe water that you are drinking may be retained.Eventually the body must release this water. When it does, the loss may be tremendous; one patient dropped 16 pounds suddenly after one of these water retention periods. While your dimensions are changing that week, loss of actual poundage does not show up on the scale. Other bodily processes are going on that hold up loss of weight in pounds for a brief period.Be patient and keep dieting faithfully, and you will be rewarded in a sudden drop in pounds,which will be most heartening. The IMPORTANT point is NOT to become discouraged but to stay on the diet. Don't cheat and you will be more than amply rewarded for your patience
Sponsored Links