Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 15:40
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Post A Doctor's Explanation for a Stall

Before I done this way of LCing, I done another LC w/o/e, lost 26# in 4 wks. The name of this diet was The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet, by Irwin Max Stillman,M.D., and Samm Sinclair Baker. They also wrote The Doctor's Quick Inches Off Diet. I was reading today in the inches off diet book and in the back was a Q & A chapter. I came across this & thought that I would share it with all of my fellow LC'ers... it is an exellent answer as to why sometimes there is a stall after big losses, and MAY apply in someone's stall.

Quote:
Q.: I lost an average of 8 lb. a week for a total of 24 lost in 3 weeks,then only lost 2 lb. in the next week. Am I doing something wrong? A.: It sometimes happens on a quick weight loss or fasting diet, that you lose weight quickly for a number of weeks, then find that one week the scale only shows a few pounds loss.Stay on the diet,since you are still losing weight that will show on the scale the following week or two. What is happening is that your fat is being pulled out of the fat depots in your body and being transformed into free fatty acids, which in turn are being burnt up in energy.While this process is going on, some of the fat is being turned into water.Furthermore, a great deal ofthe water that you are drinking may be retained.Eventually the body must release this water. When it does, the loss may be tremendous; one patient dropped 16 pounds suddenly after one of these water retention periods. While your dimensions are changing that week, loss of actual poundage does not show up on the scale. Other bodily processes are going on that hold up loss of weight in pounds for a brief period.Be patient and keep dieting faithfully, and you will be rewarded in a sudden drop in pounds,which will be most heartening. The IMPORTANT point is NOT to become discouraged but to stay on the diet. Don't cheat and you will be more than amply rewarded for your patience
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 15:46

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Suze,
Thanks for sharing this tadbit of information. I'm sure it will help others besides me. Everyone has more willpower when there is a good solid explanation behind our stalls.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 17:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
While this process is going on, some of the fat is being turned into water.

Is that possible? I don't know!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 18:16
Registered Member

Default Any physiologists out there?

Karen, I honestly don't know.. I just typed exactly what that Doctor said in his book about stalls. It sounds odd I know, but who knows? Any physiologists out there?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 07:26
Work In Progress

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 323/284/160 Female 5'3"
BF:Size: 26/24/12
Progress: 24%

Thanks for sharing your information!!

I am currently in a stall, and this is a pretty good explanation for it.

#6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 07:33
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

"While this process is going on some of the fat is turned into water."

What they meant, I believe, is that the fat cells get filled with water. Sooner or later the body will release that water in what we call a woosh.

Of course it is impossible for fat to turn into water...kindof like turning lead into gold!

BTW: how do you quote from a quote?

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 10:58

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

Suze -

Thanks for the info.... it helps to read why the scale may not be reflecting what we feel it should!

Just trying to stay positive and take it one day at a time!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 18:00
Registered Member

Default hey Beth~ Quoting from a quote

Quote:
BTW: how do you quote from a quote?

hi Beth~ to do a quote, you highlight the info that you want to use, then you push the little button right above the reply box that says quote, and put the quote in the little box that pops up...
or you can do
Quote:
put quote here

EITHER way works~
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 15:16

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

That is such great info. Thanks Suze!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 17:24

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Angry Okay...Now what?

I've been on a 2 1/2 month stall!! I've lost over 75 pounds and gained back five and lost five and gained back five and...and...for over 2 1/2 months! I can't even start to turn my stix any color at all!! Now, that is supposed to be an impossibility, but it's happening. What the heck is going on? I've been on this woe for over a year and never have I been on a stall or not been able to turn my stix even slightly for this long. I'm waiting for the big "whoosh" and it may be a monster when it happens, if what you say is true. I am definetly bloated. My pants are tighter. I drink plenty of water, and that's all I drink. I exercise every day about 30 minutes, except on Wednesdays, when I take a break. I was on Induction for five days and nothin happened to my sticks or my weight loss. Since then, I have eaten a little fruit, and some veggies, lots of meat...nothin! What is up? HELP! I am deparate. I have posted on a couple of other stall threads because now I am getting really frustrated!!! I can't be the only person who has experienced this, can I?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 17:32
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/Protein Power
Stats: 142/136.2/120?
BF:27%/26%/14%
Progress: 17%

If you KNOW you are bloated then you need to figure out what is causing that. Annoyingly it is either one of two things: either you are not getting enough salt/potassium or you are eating too much sodium. In either case you will retain water. Take a good look at the food you are eating. Processed meats, eggs, and dairy all can be high in sodium. Try cutting way back on sodium. Also, try changing up your workout routine a little. Try a new activity, or add intervals. Your body adapts fairly quickly and you have to keep it confused in order to keep making gains. Good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 17:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

Hi captxray!

Hi captxray.

I have been up & down with the same 5 lbs since the beginning of August. I haven't gotten upset about it because I know that this WOE is making me healthy & in control. When my body decides it's time to drop some more weight, it will. Be patient & enjoy the other benefits of LCing.

Another thing that keeps me from getting frustrated.....no ketosticks have ever invaded my household.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 18:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/206/190
BF:
Progress: 71%

I agree about the ketostix.

They are evil, evil, evil. They play with our minds and we can end up being obsessed about whether we are turning the sticks pink, mauve, or purple.

I obsessed over them for the first month on Atkins. Then I had a weekend cheat and knocked myself out of ketosis. The following week I would daily obsess about whether I was back in ketosis. It took almost a full week before the sticks started changing. During that week, I lost 3 pounds, and decided that perhaps I could live without the sticks.

I agree with whoever said, "throw them away"!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 10:08

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking Thank you, all!!!

Thank you, Hieronymous, melissa07, and TKDbunny! Maybe all I needed were some words of encouragement. I should know better after all of this time on this woe. I will never go back to my old woe, but I fell into the doldrums after 2 1/2 months of no change and decided to go on Atkins Induction to get things going and when that didn't happen, I got upset with my body and whatever! I'm not even on Atkins because I can't stand the counting, etc. Neanderthin doesn't count anything. One just eats from a list of allowed foods, and that's it. I have lost a tremendous amount of weight doing this and not counting and NOT using the KETOSTICKS. But, I weakened and did what I vowed NOT to do. I actually went on ATKINS after many times of not having success because of just the things that got me this time!....KETOSTICKS! I agree with you. They can have a very negative effect on you, especially when you are already down and want a quick pick-me-up to PROVE that you are still losing...I know my body. I know I feel better. I know I feel better than I have ever felt in my entire life since starting this woe. I don't know what got into me, but I thank you all for bringing me back into the fold!