Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 17:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%
Wink Is there anything that _doesn't_ cause a stall?

Okay, my subject line was a little facecious----I know that certain things (eggs, unprocessed meat) don't cause stalls. But, the point of my post here is that I'm getting rather paranoid by reading all of the posts here about stalls and what can cause them. I have found that I'm tip=toeing through the day afraid of all of the things that could stall me. A slice of gum, a diet soda (aspartame or Splenda----either one can cause a stall in some), nitrites, cream, cheese, jello, LC foods or bars.......granted these ARE things that Adkins advises against, or says may cause stalls, but how often are they really the culprit. One poster said that they had stopped losing after eating jello one day. Are our systems _really_ that sensitive----one serving of a food causing you to stall?

Not really looking for any answers here, as I don't know that there are any. I'm just finding that I have a much more paranoid and negative attitude about the LC way of eating after reading all of the gloom!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 17:11
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Belly button lint stalls me badly.

Not.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 17:11
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:

For some people, I think they are confused about what a stall really is.

A stall/plateau would be 4-6 weeks with no scale movement or inch loss.

I believe I read earlier today a person saying that eating jello made them gain a pound and stall but they resumed weight loss after giving up the jello. Were they really stalled? Probably not.

Not all weight loss is a constant downward pattern. A good example of this is 'Do you expect all your progress to be losses?' by AngelaR in the Newbies' Hot Links section.

All of those foods you mentioned can hinder weight loss. They may slow it down or stop it, but not necessarily. The only way you'll know if they have that effect on you is to try them, and not all at once.

Nobody ever got to be overweight from eating too many green, leafy vegetables either, so you can add those your your list.

As you get to be more comfortable with this way of eating it will become second nature to you and you won't need to tiptoe around so carefully, especially as you move on to OWL and add in more carbs.

Will nuts stall you? Only time will tell. Do you need to worry about it now? No, enjoy what you can have and take each day as it comes.

Beth
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 17:16

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I think stalls are inevitable. Some things could help it along, but our bodies have survival instincts that try to regulate our fat - it goes back to those times when the winter was mightly lean and food was not always plentifull.

You don't have tons to loose, so it will probably go slow - could be very slow. Just stick to the basic diet. If the splenda causes you to have cravings - then I'd think about cutting it out. Try not to worry about things that haven't happened yet. Easier said than done, I know (I am a major worry wart too!)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 17:20

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Louisa, I think all the potential stallers that you mentioned are all YMMV items. Yes, losing weight while LCing shouldn't be the be-all, end-all that it is, but any poundage off is very nice. I've been LCing for ten months now. My weight was basically stalled for 5 1/2 months. I was thinking I was in sort of pre-maintenance, or perhaps, my body had settled into its ideal weight. Well, I was consuming an LC bar in the afternoon and a sf chocolate bar in the evening, never giving them one thought - because I had done so all throughout OWL and lost weight steadily. Then everything came to a grinding halt at 125 lbs. I just hovered at that weight for sooooo long. I was even going to cheat (shock the system and all that), but I had never cheated before, so I didn't know if my body would respond with bloated-ness and headaches. Plain and simple, I was a victim of "carb creep." I cut out the LC bars and sf chocolates and went back to Induction level carbs, and 3.5 lbs. came off in four days. Now my TOM is here, so I am not weighing for a week.

But it's good to be concerned about everything out there that could potentially stall you. But don't be paranoid, this is a WOL. Happy LCing!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 18:09

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

This original post just made me laugh. "Does everything cause a stall"

Seems that way around here sometimes!! HAHA
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 19:08

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default The main culprit - the scale

To fight the stall paranoia I would recommend you to hide your scale, do not weight yourself every day.
It seems to me, that very often the reason for the - imagined - stall is a misused scale. "Yesterday I had a jello, today the scale showed 1 lb gain - ergo jello is evil". "Yesterday I skipped my morning coffee, today the scale showed 1 lb lost - ergo coffe is evil."
Nobody ever lost one lb FAT in one day from skipping a coffee or gained one lb FAT in one day from eating one jello.
My point is not, that jello, coffein cannot cause stall. My point is, do not change your diet every day based on your day by day weight fluctuation or your day by day reading here.

I live in Southern California, exercising a lot outside - means very high water fluctuation in my body. I can show how easy to gain/loose 5 lbs in one day. But this water gain/loose has nothing to do with fat gain/loose. According my experience much more to do with sweat/sodium. I love smoked salmon. But it makes me very thirsty, I need to drink a gallon water after a nice salmon plate. Does it mean salmon stall me? I do not think so. During my long run I usually loose 3-5 lb-s. It means I lost 3-5 lbs fat? I do not think so.

A couple of years ago I read an interesting book about vegetables. According it all the vegetables can cause some kind of illness for some individuals. It does not mean that we all have to avoid all vegetables.

Good luck, worry less, and hide that scale:-)

Last edited by Galadriell : Tue, May-20-03 at 08:40.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 19:45

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Default Re: The main culprit - the scale

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Galadriell
"Yesterday I had a jello, today the scale showed 1 lb gain - ergo the jello is evil". "Yesterday I skipped my morning coffee, today the scale showed 1 lb lost - ergo coffe is evil.">>>>>>>>>

Thanks everyone for your ideas----and Galadriell, you are stating alot of what I've been thinking. That this talk of stalls because of eating jello, etc., is probably not accurate. I think that is what has been making me feel paranoid----that this diet is SO "touchy" that you eat one thing one time and it can stall you. So--I just don't feel like using the word "stall" is helpful to anyone (unless you really, truly are in a stall---as someone said, 3weeks or more).

For me, this talk of the drastic results that can come from drinking a diet soda, is what has made me paranoid (that's probably a pretty dramatic word to use).

BTW, I don't weigh myself more than once a week---