Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 15:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking Atkins "Blood Pressure" Victory

My blood pressure has been moderately high for years and my doctor has me on daily blood pressure meds. I've been doing Atkins for about 9 weeks now and I decided to buy a blood pressure monitor and stop taking the meds. I stopped the pills 5 days ago and my blood pressure has been 125/83!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's LOWER than when I was taking the meds! As time goes on I am more and more convinced that this WOE is right for me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 15:58

Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That is fantastic!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:41

Stats: 170/151/135 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 54%

wonderful!

congratulations!

#4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 21:46
Registered Member

Stats: 198/198/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thats excellent!!!

I too after about 8 weeks on Atkins had my blood pressure taken, it was 135/90, now it is 125/75!

Gotta love this way of life!

Also, I have noticed that before when I went to the gym, after about 5 minutes on the x trainer, my heart rate was easily over 160...
Today, I went to the gym for the first time in about 5 weeks (Ive been really busy!) But I worked as hard as I could and could not get my heart rate over 175, which previously, the prime of my workout was at about 190 + !!!

Tab
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 16:46
Registered Member

Stats: 279.5/205/215 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

I have a similar story. My blood pressure spiked last fall just as I began the diet, and for a month I had readings between 145/95 and 140/90 fairly regularly. Within 3-4 months after beginning this WOE, after I had lost 30 pounds or so, I experienced a dramatic drop and started getting readings around 125/80. I started jogging, and now that I have lost 60 pounds and jog 3 miles 3 times per week, my BP readings are usually 120/70 and my resting pulse rate is nearing 60. I haven't felt this good since my early 20's.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 18:19

Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

Congratulations! That's great news. The same thing happened to my brother-in-law (The Doctor). He saw how much weight I was losing on Atkins that he decided to give it a try (he already knew and understood the basic theory of the diet and agreed with it). He has now been on the diet for about 2 months and doing great. He has been on Blood pressure meds for years. His wife (my sister) checks his B/P daily. If he misses a day his B/P goes through the roof. Well they were on vacation and forgot to pack his meds. When my sister checked his B/P it was staying down and has remained that way ever since.
There are just so many more benifits from eating the way than just losing weight.