Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Atkins "Blood Pressure" Victory (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=128242)

Mr.Mel Tue, Aug-05-03 15:56

Atkins "Blood Pressure" Victory

My blood pressure has been moderately high for years and my doctor has me on daily blood pressure meds. I've been doing Atkins for about 9 weeks now and I decided to buy a blood pressure monitor and stop taking the meds. I stopped the pills 5 days ago and my blood pressure has been 125/83!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay: :wiggle: :agree: :yay:
That's LOWER than when I was taking the meds! As time goes on I am more and more convinced that this WOE is right for me.

drchickon Tue, Aug-05-03 15:58

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That is fantastic!

RealityS Tue, Aug-05-03 16:41

wonderful!

congratulations!

:yay: :agree: :yay: :agree: :yay: :agree: :yay: :agree: :yay: :agree: :yay: :agree: :yay: :agree:

tabno1 Tue, Aug-05-03 21:46

Thats excellent!!!

I too after about 8 weeks on Atkins had my blood pressure taken, it was 135/90, now it is 125/75!

Gotta love this way of life!

Also, I have noticed that before when I went to the gym, after about 5 minutes on the x trainer, my heart rate was easily over 160...
Today, I went to the gym for the first time in about 5 weeks (Ive been really busy!) But I worked as hard as I could and could not get my heart rate over 175, which previously, the prime of my workout was at about 190 + !!!

Tab

millermack Wed, Aug-06-03 16:46

I have a similar story. My blood pressure spiked last fall just as I began the diet, and for a month I had readings between 145/95 and 140/90 fairly regularly. :exclm: Within 3-4 months after beginning this WOE, after I had lost 30 pounds or so, I experienced a dramatic drop and started getting readings around 125/80. I started jogging, and now that I have lost 60 pounds and jog 3 miles 3 times per week, my BP readings are usually 120/70 and my resting pulse rate is nearing 60. :Party: I haven't felt this good since my early 20's.

Gimmpy Wed, Aug-06-03 18:19

Congratulations! That's great news. The same thing happened to my brother-in-law (The Doctor). He saw how much weight I was losing on Atkins that he decided to give it a try (he already knew and understood the basic theory of the diet and agreed with it). He has now been on the diet for about 2 months and doing great. He has been on Blood pressure meds for years. His wife (my sister) checks his B/P daily. If he misses a day his B/P goes through the roof. Well they were on vacation and forgot to pack his meds. When my sister checked his B/P it was staying down and has remained that way ever since.
There are just so many more benifits from eating the way than just losing weight.