Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 20:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Talking I Intentionally Binged

Not really a binge, but totally, 100% intentionally went way over on the carbs tonight. I had 6 perogies w/ bacon & sour cream, 20 smarties, 1 cup homo milk, and 1/2 of a bran muffin. Call it a reward meal of sorts. My weightloss has been slowing down and I needed to shake things up a bit. I have heard elsewhere on this board that a 'carb-loading' meal can help boost you over a stall. This is the first time in 2 months I have eaten anything like this. It tasted great . The next three days will be strict induction, then moving onto OWL. Anyone think this may work ?

I am thinking that my calorie intake may have been too low, causing a myriad of problems. I have been averaging between 1200-1400 calories. Is this adequate ? I am 5'3 and a bit and 140 lbs. Is too little calories the cause of my delayed TOM ?

Last edited by thininBC : Fri, Jun-27-03 at 20:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 20:30
Registered Member

Stats: 186/156/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Intentional or not!

I'm not sure if my binging this last week was a intentional fall from grace or not. It started last saturday with more than a couple of cherry danish and then it lead to a bag of Doritos and a sausage on a bun and God I can't even remember what else. Well I'm up 21/2lbs and I have no one to blame but myself it was all wonderful but not worth all the work it took to get 35 lbs off. But I really do think we need to do it once in a blue moon to remind ourselves that we really are not missing anything special.

Back on track Loribell
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 20:47
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Have you done two weeks of strict induction yet? You said you have had alot of problems, but it seems you keep sneaking in non induction foods or higher carb ones. Doing a pure induction will really help to break those cravings.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 21:32

Default Good Point

I think the longest I have gone on strict induction without breaking the 20 gram mark is 5 days. I have gone as higher a few days here and there, but have always gone straight back to Atkins. Is 20 grams the magic mark for everyone when doing Induction or does it vary from person to person ? What I mean is that if I am in ketosis, regardless of whether or not I have had 17 grams of carbs or 40, is that ok ? Isn't the goal of induction to achieve ketosis ?

Thanks for the input and taking the time to answer my questions. I really DO appreciate it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 04:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default The Goals of Induction

Quote:
Originally posted by thininBC
Isn't the goal of induction to achieve ketosis ?

Ketosis is only one of the goals of induction. Others are
- Stabilize your blood sugar
- curb your cravings
- break addiction to sugary and high carb foods

Many people think that they need to speed up their weight loss when it starts to slow. Slow downs are a natural part of a health long term weight loss program. The biggest thing to remember is that while we can coax our bodies into letting go, we do not have ultimate control for sustained periods of time. Things are going to slow down, stop then start up again.

Just hang in there kiddo. You're getting close to goal. You've made great progress so far. Give yourself some time and enjoy the other health benefits.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 11:43

Default Binge cont....

Later that night I had another half of a bran muffin, piece of celery with cream cheese, and 2 PopTarts. OMG, I was soooooo bad. Back on STRICT induction this morning.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 12:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Later that night I had another half of a bran muffin, piece of celery with cream cheese, and 2 PopTarts.

As close to you are to goal the first two were great ideas. I think poptarts count as a lethal substance to any eating plan though

I couldn't stand the things even when eating junk food alot

btw I can't send you privet messages, your box is full. I was goign to add a note to your journal, but somehow it disapeared last night :\