Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 14:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/267/165 Female 5'9
BF:Too High!
Progress: 7%
Angry Help, I completely binged on fat and protein

I was doing so well until yesterday. I let myself get too hungry and I completely binged on pork chops, egg salad and then I got into the pistachio nuts. All in all I probably consumed close to 4,000 calories but my carbs were only around 60-70. I haven't weighed myself today. I was really depressed this morning but I'm back on track!!

Anyone binge during induction on fat and protein? Did you gain weight, or did it just slow down weight loss? I'd also appreciate and "binging" support anyone can offer. I disgust myself when I do it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 14:22
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Don't get down on yourself. I did something similar yesterday. I skipped lunch and went grocery shopping by the time I got home I was starved and had the temptation of new groceries. Today was my weigh in day too!

Lets learn our lesson here: if we get too hungry (lowblood sugar?) we lose control. 60carbs isn't bad! Imaging what the damage would have been before lowcarb.

Keep going, perfectionism in a lifetime way of eating is not attainable so learn from your mistakes don't let them get between you and your goal.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 14:30

Plan: Low Carb Lifestye, Atkins
Stats: 515/474.5/180 Male 71 Inches
BF:Got Some
Progress: 12%

Sometimes I let it get to the point where I havent eaten anything all day or just an advantage bar and a coffee and I binge too. But now I binge on meat, eggs, cheese and low carb/no carb sweets or crackers, pork rinds etc. The weight will jump up but it will come right off again. I have also found that as long as you stick to LC fare it takes a lot to gain weight. Dont give up, we all slip from time to time.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/123/125 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 113%
Wink

Don't worry - I did the exact same thing! I ate an 2 bags of whole almonds and about 5 lc chocolate bars - about 3000 calories - I was just sooo hungry - I put on 3lbs the next day but kept very low carb 30-30 grams over the weekend and the weight went right away! My understanding is if you are still in ketosis - the excess fat you eat is wasted (I am quoting the brilliant Doreen T here): "The excess fat you eat is broken down into fatty acids in the bowel, by the action of enzymes and bile. These fatty acids are absorbed into the bloodstream and taken to the liver, where they are further processed into ketones, and into other fatty acid components. Some of the ketones may be used for fuel. Mostly they are excreted in the urine, stool, & breath (via the lungs). The free fatty acid components are also excreted because once fatty acids are broken down into the smaller ketone, acetone and fatty esterols they CANNOT be converted back into fat. Basic biochemistry 101. Withouth insulin, they cannot be forect into storage in the fat cells, so they are elimated. This is what Atkins refers to as the "Metabolic Advantage" I hope Doreen doesn't mind me plagerizing her! But, my basic understanding is, in Ketosis a binge will stall your weight loss - but any gain will be quickly elimenated. I hope this helps! I spent and entire weekend after my binge feeling so guilty and depressed! I thought I'd blown all my hard work! Good luck - hang in there!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 15:09

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 328/237.4/182 Female 67 inches
BF:50+%/34%/20%
Progress: 62%

You should focus on what you did RIGHT. Instead of feeling like you failed, congratulate yourself for not binging on whatever you would have prior to Atkins. For example, you didn't binge on chips or bread or pasta. You just did more of what you are suppose to! From this, you can recover easily, as long as you don't get down on yourself. Once you start that spiral, it;s hard to break free of that negative spin and pull downwards. pat yourself on the back for sticking to low carb!
Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 15:14

Stats: 275/267/165 Female 5'9
BF:Too High!
Progress: 7%
Smile You guys are great..

Thanks for all the support and information, it's so helpful. I can try to tell myself all these things but it's much more helpful coming from other people.

The binge was very discouraging because it's been my downfall all along, I'll keep trucking!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 316/304/200 Male 76
BF:better/every/day
Progress: 10%

for your body weight 4000 kcals of fat and protein for one day probally won't cause you to gain any weight. Just jump back on the wagon and keep going.
Rod
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 00:58

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Tweetheart, it took me a little bit to get used to eating when I needed to eat (still have a little trouble with breakfast). If I eat on schedule I don't get too hungry. If I get too hungry it's a disaster. Make sure to keep a little cheese or some type of meat handy because they can be your redemption. If all else fails, stop at a fast food joint and order a hamburger and throw away the bun, or see if you can just order it without the bun. It's so much better than getting too hungry!

I have to give you a good pat on the back, though, too because you didn't binge on the wrong things. That's all too easy to do. We had a thing going on today about some chocolate chip cookies. It's rather a long story, but to make it shorter, they came in the house, the 5-year-old got a couple, then they went right back out, LOL. Today was not one of my stronger days and I knew if they stayed they would pretty soon be gone.