Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 20:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/169/160 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Low Carb TV dinners

In Safeway tonight, noticed they are carrying a line (can't recall name) of low carb tv dinners. They did not have the prices on same and as I sometimes think they do that on purpose, did not ask (besides trying to stay away from processed food). Curious tho' - has anyone tried and how much do they cost? Would be a nice thing to have on hand for those days when you're completely frazzled and don't even want to think about what you can have and shouldn't have.

SudsK
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 20:35
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I saw some new one that were around 15 carbs a meal. Still a bit high for my taste. Walmart has some that have less carbs in them, they are in a blue box. Like you I cant recall the name right now. The carb count came in around 7 or 8 net carbs for some meals. My problem with them was that the sodium count was really high. For this fact alone I left them be. Bettter off making my own food.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 20:43

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Lean Cuisine has new "Low Carb meals", but wATCH OUT because they are not for induction.One had 25 Carbs, one had 15 and one had 8 or 10. Why they cannot do it correctlty is beyond me. They ruined one type of dinner, a few paltry pieces of chicken in alot of a cheesy sauce. They claim it has 2 veggie servings, but it was a tiny amount of brocoli with some RED peppers. Lame. Could have done double the brocoli with no peppers and MORE chicken. The sauce probably has more carbs than real cheese. Well, they are trying I suppose.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 22:56

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've seen 2 "Low-Carb" TV Dinners out there...One was Lean Cuisine...I don't remember the name of the other brand off the top of my head. Both were loaded with Refined Sugar and Trans-Fat. Think about it for a minute, these foods have 15-25g of Carbs, but are "Chicken and Broccoli." Chicken is Carb-Free, and the Broccoli in there at most contains a few grams of Net Carbs. That means most of the remainder of those 15-25g comes from the Refined Sugars on the ingredients list. I wouldn't touch one of those TV Dinners with a 10 foot pole.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 07:27

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

Chef Choice makes low carb bowls. You can find them at Wal-Mart and Publix here in Atlanta. They range from 7 carbs to 11 carbs (net) per bowl and are very filling.

:-)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 11:05
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

The chef's choice are not bad, but I've taken to buying frozen veggies and some frozen shrimp and mixing my own microwave meals. Add some shredded cheese towards the end and season as you like, pretty good.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:35
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

One person who tried chef's choice told me they taste blah, take forever to cook, were a small serving, and they would rather spend the carbs on a homecooked meal which would of taken just a slong to cook.

I looked at the weight watchers low carb. It had the whole truth about carbs on it and was talking about how sugar carbs are bad, but complex carbs were good. Then in the ingredients sucag was one of the first ingredients. No Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 19:38

Stats: 170/169/160 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thanks Responders! Guess I'm looking for an easy way out.

Regards,

SudsK
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 23:00
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
One person who tried chef's choice told me they taste blah, take forever to cook, were a small serving, and they would rather spend the carbs on a homecooked meal which would of taken just a slong to cook.

Just my opinion, but I've tried all 8 of the Chef's Choice meals and they taste great, take very little time to cook, are a large serving (especially of meat), and are great for when I don't have time to make a homecooked meal.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 23:40

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
I looked at the weight watchers low carb. It had the whole truth about carbs on it and was talking about how sugar carbs are bad, but complex carbs were good. Then in the ingredients sucag was one of the first ingredients. No Thanks

Not to mention a Partially Hydrogrenated Oil, I believe Soybean was listed very high on the list of ingredients. I just looked over the Chef's Choice. They also contain significant quantities of Refined Sugars [several grams]...though not anywhere near as much as the Lean Cuisines.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 23:44

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

I'm finding I can whip a low carb meal faster than it used to take me to do a meal in a box or a frozen lean dinner. Zap some veggies & a piece of fish in the microwave (glass dishes only 'cause we don't need the estrogen from the plastic) and supper is ready in under 10 minutes.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 09:55

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 197/150/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%

Plastic? Estrogen? Please explain
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 12:39

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

A couple of years ago, a doctor doing a study on breast cancer had some unusual readings in the breast cancer cells she was studying. they were responding as if exposed to estrogen. Whe tore her lab apart trying to figure out were the estrogen had come from. It turns out it was in the plastic test tubes which she had just switched to for the first time. She did further research and discovered one of the products used in making plastics gives off an estrogen like compund. Heating the plastic releases this compound even faster into food that is being cooked.

So, it is better to cook food in your microwave in glass dishes rather than plastic.

I have read and heard others comment on the same problem.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 10:45

Stats: 250/237/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default tv dinners

I've tried Chef's Choice and Lean Cuisine. They are what they are! Okay if you don't have anything else, but way too much sodium and too high in carbs for what's in it. There's just too much sauce compared to meat and vegies-this is where the high carbs come in, I guess. I've tried several Lean Cuisines and the three cheese sauce and chicken is is the worst. The biggest problem is that I was starved five minutes after eating one. Chef's Choice is better, but still too much sauce and not enough vegies. TV dinners will not be good until the manufacturers understand that low-fat and small quantities just don't cut it with a LC WOE. My best TV dinner is left-overs.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 11:40

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

WOW, i'm switching to glass dishes then!