Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 07:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/191/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Plateau? Stall? Which??

I’m hoping one of you LC mavens can give me some insight.

I started Atkins Jan 6, 03. I lost 11 pounds during induction, and then hovered there for a while. I’ve added only a few things since induction and keep my net carbs between 20-25. What did I add? More veggies, raw almonds and raspberries. About 20 almonds a day, and only ¼ cup raspberries. (Oh, and within the last week or so, I’ve added ½ cup plain yogurt, to eat with my raspberries, and the smaller La Tortilla.) Now there is some discrepancy between Fitday and Atkins with regards to the amount of carbs/fiber in almonds. Who do I believe? Since I’m using Fitday, I’m going with their numbers.

After the post Induction lull I lost another 9 pounds. Up until 4 weeks ago I had lost 20 pounds and 11 inches. (At least. I only measured my bust, upper arms and waist to start. I couldn’t stand to see what the hip measurement was!) The last 3 of those 9 pounds were lost during TOM nearly four weeks ago. Actually, exactly four weeks ago! Since then – NOTHING!!! No weight, no inches. Just the constant 2-3 pound water fluxuation. (Yes, I weigh myself everyday, but only record the weekly average)

Well, I’ve tweaked, I’ve sighed and I’ve groaned, but to no avail. I’ve upped my water from 72 oz to 96 oz. Nothing. I cut out the almonds for a week. Nothing. I cut out raspberries for a week. Nothing. I started using Stevia instead of Splenda. Nothing. I’ve upped my fat and calories. Nothing. AAAHHHHH!!! Fortunately, I’m a very patient person, but I’m wondering. Have I just reached a plateau, or is this a stall? Is there really a difference? How do you know?

So, what’s the deal? I don’t think I’m metabolically resistant. I checked the little chart in the book, and comparing what I lost during Induction to that, I’m actually pretty good.

There may be a case of Candida. I did the test and my score is low, it about 6 points into the “there is a chance to you have it range.” I’m taking acidophilus, and a series of grapefruit seed, garlic and olive leaf. But I’ve been doing that for about 2 months now and I’m cutting back to just the acidophilus.

Here is an example of a typical day.

Fat 65% -70% / Carbs 5% / Protein 25 - 30% (As of today, I’m upping my fat a little)
Calories – Anywhere from 1500-2000 per day.
Menu –
Breakfast:
-1 cup decaf coffee (I drank reg during Induction and still lost)
- 2 oz half & half (I'm changing to heavy cream) and sweetened with Stevia
-½ cup plain SF yogurt mixed with ¼ raspberries sweetened with Stevia
-Throughout the day – 20 almonds

Lunch:
- La Tortilla (small) as a wrap
- 2 xLarge eggs fried in butter
- I cubic inch of Mozzarella melted on top
- 4 strips SF bacon

Dinner:
- 3 cups salad (leaf lettuce/cucumber/ celery)
- 1-1½ cups of broccoli or green beans
- 5 oz Steak/Chicken/Pork
- SF Jell-O w/ whipped cream sweetened with Stevia (not every night)

Here’s the irony. I cheated a few times during the first 3 months, and still lost weight. Other than a few glasses of red wine last weekend, I have not cheated AT ALL in the last 4 weeks!

So back to my original question. Stall? Plateau? Any way of even knowing? I plan to stay the course, because I feel so much better since beginning this woe. However, I started it to LOSE WEIGHT!! Why am I not losing?? Will I drop another 2 or 3 pounds during TOM this month?? I HATE not knowing the answers to questions! If there is something I don’t know, and if I really want to know, I’ll research. Well, research hasn’t answered my questions, so either THERE ARE NO ANSWERS or someone here has the answer locked away in their brain. I sure hope it’s the latter! My obsessive personality is becoming dominant here!

WHEW! The rant is complete. Thanks for listening. I’ve needed to get that off my chest for a few days now.

You guys are the best.

Lolli
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 07:52

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Lolli... hmm... you seem to be doing everything right! Four weeks with no weight or inch loss seems a bit plateau-y and you seem like you've examined a lot of the possibilities. I could tell you to be patient, etc. which is great, but you didn't post to hear that. So I'll offer one thing you may want to try: increase your carbs. Yes, it sounds crazy but since you said you used to lose while cheating, it's possible that your body needs to be convinced it's getting fueled and might function a little better on say 30g carbs a day.

My other suggestion (and I know this can be tough) is exercise. Not sure how much you're doing, but a good combo of cardio and weight training can really shed those inches.

Hope you're not too discouraged. It looks like you're doing well and eating great foods, so I'll bet you feel good. It's possible your body is just recovering from that awesome 20 pound loss and will pick up in its own time. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 07:52

Plan: Weight Watchers (1/2008)
Stats: 264/214/185 Female 5' 9½"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Lolli

From a novice (even though I have been eating this way {at least trying}) I thought your meals looked good.

I see you have not started a journal. You might try that - I find reading and posting in journals very helpful! I have met about 4 new "friends" who give me daily encouragement - and I really enjoy that contact.

It is easy - just go down to the journal area, and start a new thread (in the "L's") - you will then get a little "journal" icon down at the bottom of your postings.

Check my journal out - you can click on my journal icon, and it will take you there.

I will watch to see if you decide to start journaling - and check back with you.

Stay strong - you can do it!!!

Char
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:12

Stats: 220/191/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi Guys

Thanks for the quick replies. I did start to exercise about 3 weeks ago. With all that ranting, I can't believe there was something I missed saying! Nothing too intense as I have a VERY serious back problem. I have a treadmill and I bought the walk away the pounds tapes. I try to do a mile every other day.

As far as the journal goes, it's simply a time issue. I DON' HAVE ANY! I'm off work for the next few days - a much needed extra extra long weekend - which is why I had time for the long post today.

Lolli
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:13

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Well in THAT case... maybe you're building muscle! My weight loss slowed when I began exercising, but the inches started to peel off. Maybe your body's just preparing to let loose!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:26

Stats: 183/180/165 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Newbie myself so

I'm pretty new so I take it with a grain of salt-

4 weeks and no lbs dropped and no loss in inches is a true stall. Have you measured? Have you lost inches? Have you measured your body fat? Maybe Skamito is right, maybe you are gaining muscle which is valuable, it burns more calories.

Also, maybe you need to cycle calories a little bit??

Just some ideas, hope something moves soon for you.

Carol