Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/204/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Having trouble making the leap...

Okay,

I hope this post will make sense, I'm feeling a little frazzled. Over the past several months I have read, re-read, and read one more time the main books on low-carb living. I believe the information, I trust that if I switch to this WOL that I will lose weight. But I just can't seem to cross the bridge. I've never really dieted, at least not long enough to see real results, so I'm not a yo-yo. I've always been overweight, but carry it well so I don't LOOK that heavy. Except after two children in two years, my weight has really ballooned and I can't seem to get the equilibrium back.

I don't have many emotional hang-ups with food, self-esteem, my attractiveness, etc. etc. I just need to be healthier and lighter and I'd love to be more attractive, but I really like food, especially the sweet stuff. And after a long day in toddler-land, a diet Coke and chocolate something or other seem like a magical escape!

Despite knowing all this and sincerely believing that Atkins and other LC plans really work and are healthier. I feel paralyzed from really making the commitment. And I know it will be a commitment, not just a short term quick diet if I want a healthier life from here on out and to keep off any weight I lose.

I've read the Self-sabatoge posts on the General Low-Carb discussion and don't feel like that's me, since I've never actually gotten far enough into the program to ruin it. What does it take to really feel the motivation and excitement to cross over to this WOE and never look back (or at least not do more than the occasional glimpse).

I hope someone has some insights for me or maybe just a good kick in the pants, or could ask some questions that could help me figure out my reluctance to choose a new life for myself.

Thanks for letting me process. I know I just needed to articulate all this and that I really probably am ready to move forward. I just don't want to get three, or five, or fourteen days into this and then give it all up.

Sincerely stuck,

Jami
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 10:03

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

HI there,

My opinion...maybe you should look around at other low-carb diets? I did the Zone eight years ago, lost 35 lbs., and kept it off. In my opinion, it is quite a bit easier to commit yourself to. More about portion sizes and balancing your meals (and keeping calories to a certain amount based on your weight/lean body mass). I was just as unhungry on the Zone as I am on Atkins, and found it pretty easy, once a few weeks went by and I was used to it.

Have stayed pretty much on the Zone ever since, though I slacked off recently. I work out a lot, which has kept me from gaining, but staying on it somewhat has really been what kept me from gaining. (meaning, no hamburger buns, pasta only in the smallest amounts, etc. ) Am only doing Atkins as a way of kickstarting, and reevaluating my eating habits. Thought that perhaps getting rid of white foods would be a good way to go forward.

I wish you luck, and don't give up. Low-carb really does work, but I'm sure it will work better when you can commit for the long term.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 10:06

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Me too!!!

I love food. I am not an emotional eater and I am not a dieter. Like you I researched this diet for a couple of years. The more I heard about it the more I thought I would try it. All of my favorite foods are included in it. With a family history of diabetes and my symptoms of hypglycemia lead me to the Atkins WOE. Then after hearing that this diet beat the American Heart Association made be decide to dive into it. Limiting my food choices provides me with better food choices. I had such a refreshing breakfast this morning. I had one scrambled egg, 1/2 cup strawberries sprinkled with a tbsp. wheat germ and a little cream ( my bowl of cereal replacement ). You can still have cheese cake, mac & cheese, when prepared with the low carb mentality. For lunch I will have left over chicken with melted colby jack cheese. I think I will limit the remaining carbs to my dinner plate tonight. Since, doing this diet, I have lost 19 lbs. I have 7 more lbs to go before reaching my summer goal of 135 lbs.

When I decided to participate, I filled my fridge with many veggies, dairy products, eggs. I began looking for low carb products such as bread and cereal,jams. I made many discoveries as to what is out there. I have expanded my grocery stores. I used to never go into the Whole Foods Market or Trader Joes. I go into these markets now and have made many educational discoveries. I am willing to bet that I will never become diabetic.

I also desire to reduce my desire for sweets. I drink sparkling water instead of regular water. I also take supplements.

Black57

Black57

Last edited by black57 : Tue, Apr-15-03 at 11:05.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 10:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

JUST DO IT!

Take it at face value and jump into the void. Don't question it and agree with yourself to work the plan for a period of time - say three months - then re-evaluate.

The Eades of Protein Power have a fairly new book, the 30 Day Low-Carb Solution, that outlines 30 days of menus. It's easy to follow and there is lots of variety. Even fruit and dessert.

Quote:
I hope someone has some insights for me or maybe just a good kick in the pants, or could ask some questions that could help me figure out my reluctance to choose a new life for myself.

For now, tell yourself you have no excuses. You can deal with any issues that come up after you're well into lowcarbing.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 10:15

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

First of all, your post made COMPLETE sense. I can totally understand where you're coming from. It sounds most like you don't want to fail and are reluctant to commit because you know that you really want it. You know, with those qualities, I am confident in your ability to do this. I don't know how you can get over the idea psychologically except to just dive in. Believe it or not, once you start eating low-carb you are likely to be more in tune with your body, including identification of real hunger. And, believe it or NOT, you will probably not want wheat, sugar, and other starchy carbs anymore. If you do slip and eat them, you will really believe in their destructive effects on the system as they tend to cause symptoms such as bloating, sluggishness, etc.

Anyway, I guess what it comes down to is that the best way to psych yourself into this is just to start. I know that's a simplified answer, but if you just clean out your fridge and pantry, take a nice trip around the perimeter of the grocery store, and figure out some meals, you will probably fall right into this. I didn't think of the idea of eating this way the rest of my life beforehand (although I knew that it would be best) but the benefits of low carb have definitely outweighed any fear of missing out.

Not to mention, on maintenance you may have sugar-free chocolate. Oh... and diet Rite is a pretty good Splenda-sweetened soda. You will find there is a lot of satisfaction, even in vices, in eating low carb. You seem very intelligent and I'm sure will be successful. I mean, you've read a lot of LC books, which is an awesome start.

It may help you to start a journal on this site. I know it's helped me to have people check in for support. You can do that by going to the Journal section and starting a new thread in the section that corresponds to your screen name... so yours would be under the letter B.

I wish you much luck!

Best to you.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 10:58

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm a little bit different from you in that I have done Atkins before a few years ago (between babies)...but I just jumped in head first this time and didn't look back. I decided on a Saturday night that I was going to start Sunday morning. I told myself that I would commit to the two week induction without ANY cheating...and reward myself with ONE thin mint (Girl Scout cookie...4g carbs) at the end of the two weeks. Well...by the time the two weeks were up, I didn't even WANT that cookie...so I skipped it and kept right on going. I've been eating this way since the beginning of February and have only "cheated" twice...then got right back with the program. I have found lots of sweet treats that are allowed (check the recipe section of the forums...AFTER induction) so if I really need something after I put the kids to bed, I have a good alternative to the sugar-filled treats I used to have. I don't feel at all deprived.

So jump on in and give it a go...but you DO have to really make a committment to get through induction. It can be a rough few days of detox. Good luck!

Tricia
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 11:03
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome!

I want to add to the support and faith that everyone here has expressed - you can do it.

But here is your kick in the pants:

Everytime you eat, you make a choice. And every time you choose the wrong thing, you are engaging in self sabotage. You don't have to be on a diet first in order to be sabotaging yourself - like many of us, you may have been doing it your whole life.

I don't know how tall you are, and I believe what you say about carrying your weight... but... but... your goal weight is quite a long way off, and that makes me suspect that perhaps you are making some excuses for not making the change? It is indeed a scary step to take. Kind of like diving off a high dive...

I don't mean to be harsh - but I do believe in being honest. Please, please, please make the move! You will feel better about yourself, and you will find a LOT of great support here.

It honestly isn't that hard - don't think about the rest of your life every time you think about it - think about your next/current meal. Make some chicken and salad, or steak with veggies. Hold the potato.

And voila! You are in the WOL (way of life).
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 11:11
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks for the encouragment--I'm ready to jump in (I think!)

I've been sitting on the fence trying to decide about starting Induction for too long now and I just needed to verbalize my indecision. Thanks for the words to "just do it"! I know that's what I need to do.

So...I'm not even going to wait for tomorrow. I'm going to finish my last diet Coke (for the forseeable future) and think about what to make for dinner! My family is not problem, they're pro-protein and just think it's great if I actually cook a real meal! I'm also going to start a journal, another thing I've been putting off! I've been lurking on this forum for months now, so I feel like I already know some of you and it has been your enthusiasm and successes which have made me really want to plunge into this WOL!

Thanks and I'm sure there will be more to come,

Jami
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 11:19

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I have to relate to your post in that it took me almost two weeks to fully commit to this way of eating. During those two weeks (when I was kinda trying out the induction phase), I had to try out the low carb dessert recipes, along with the Pure De-Lite Bars and other low carb "junk food" that is available...just to make sure I could actually stick with the plan.

You see, its not that I felt I couldn't do the plan...I just knew that at some point I would want a sweet or something and would blow it. I had to know that I could fully commit and yet really not have to fight with myself over things I am not supposed to eat.

The first thing I tried was the EAS low carb bars and barf...I thought if this is what I have to eat for something sweet, forget it. I'm glad I persisted because now I am so relaxed about everything. I know if we go out to a resteraunt and everyone is having dessert, I'll be okay...because I can either pull an Atkins Endulge bar out of my purse and be in heaven, or I can go home and eat a slice of low carb cheesecake, or chocolate mousse or whatever. If I really, really have to drink something other than water...I can drink dite rite cola or red raspberry dite rite, or whatever I can find that is sweetened with Splenda.

Funny, but trying these products (and I usually HATE anything fake) made all the difference for me. I rarely eat treats now...but I know if I really want one, I can have it and won't be blowing my diet.

I hope this helps!!!!

L

P.S. Its true that after the first week or so, you really do stop craving certain foods.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 11:20
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Jami

One more thing - if you haven't see it yet, check out www.fitday.com. It is a great tool for keeping track of what you eat... Once you start doing it, it becomes something you're invested in.

Welcome to the club!

#11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 11:47
Registered Member

BF:
Default Katana, thanks for your honest words

I appreciate your realistic words about self-sabotage, choices about foods and excuses. I think you're right when you say that my comment about how I carry my weight is an excuse. It is. I tell myself, "who cares what the scale says or what size I wear, I look pretty good in my clothes, I can keep up with my kids, my husband thinks I'm desirable, etc. etc." But those really are excuses. I would love to weigh 150 (I'm 5'7" by the way) and wear a much smaller size. I'd love to have more energy and to look more fit. I've just been waiting for the balance to swing more to the side of wanting the changes rather than wanting the old WOL and Eating. But I may not FEEL a greater desire for the better life until I see it developing, so I know I need to dive in and trust that the inconveniences and changes will be far worth the benefits. And I truly think they will. It's just hard to live in the abstract.

Thanks again for speaking your mind.

Jami
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 17:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins? Protien Power?
Stats: 220/193/150 Female 5'6"
BF:Unknown
Progress: 39%

Quote:
I've been sitting on the fence trying to decide about starting Induction for too long now and I just needed to verbalize my indecision.

Jami-- I hear you girl. I too sat on the fence last summer when several co-workers started a LC plan. They are now 50 pounds lighter, exercising and happier than I tell you. And in January, several others started and are looking mighty good. Because I procrastinated for so long, I am just starting this journey now. I wish it had been sooner, but now I'm ready and know why I'm here.

But think of it this way, I started at the EXACT weight you are April 1, and I am down 11 pounds. THIS COULD BE YOU IN TWO WEEKS!!!!!!!!!! Just go for it, don't let self-pity get involved when you start and give it a try even for 1 month...
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 17:36
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Yep, I was like you, too.

Read a lot of stuff on this forum and elsewhere on the Web for months before I committed. I think I was really afraid of failing - I've been on so many plans before. I was afraid my DH would just roll his eyes when I told him I was starting yet another diet.

Bless him, all his eye-rolling was done in private, and he has been supportive. Now, he's amazed and thrilled how long I've stuck to it, as am I. Six weeks this past weekend. Believe me, that's a long time for me. And it's been quite easy, I must confess. I only had one rough day -- the first day -- on Induction and have felt amazing since then. I have also begun exercising because I have so much energy. I now have to remind myself to eat lunch or I forget. Yes I NOW FORGET TO EAT!! This is truly miraculous. Before I was already thinking about what to have for supper before I'd put my lunch fork down. And I snacked from supper to bedtime.

My loss slowed a bit after Induction but I was never tempted to stop because I really love how I feel and felt I had finally gained control of my eating habits. Now, I'm losing more quickly again.

Take the leap. You will be so glad you did. Really commit to doing a letter-perfect Induction. It's only two weeks of your life and if you do it right -- you will be sold on this WOE!!

I've lost 20 lbs in six weeks and am feeling happier, more confident and optimistic than I have in years! I'm 35 and my only regret is I did not discover this WOE sooner. But I plan to spend the rest of my life in a healthier, slimmer bod and with a terrific new outlook on life!

Whew! That was a long one. Are ya still awake?

Good luck!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 22:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins? Protien Power?
Stats: 220/193/150 Female 5'6"
BF:Unknown
Progress: 39%

Quote:
I've lost 20 lbs in six weeks and am feeling happier, more confident and optimistic than I have in years! I'm 35 and my only regret is I did not discover this WOE sooner.

What a terrific statement. If ONLY we all could go back and try this years ago........ But better now than never, eh?!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 03:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 197/197/145 Female 5.2
BF:
Progress: 0%

I can totally relate to how you're feeling. My gf has been doing this for almost 2 years and I've witnessed how well it works and she kept trying to get me to try it. Three yrs ago, I lost 35 lbs when my ex left-i cut way down on my portions and did alot of walking-no more soda or junk and it worked. however, once I got back in my comfortable life, it came back because i went back to my old way of eating. She has been on me for about a year now and in my mind, I couldn't live w/o pasta, potatoes and all that wonderful stuff. Well, Feb. 2003 I decided to give it a try-I gave up all that stuff and ya know what, I don't even miss it. I still have my can of beer or whatever when I want it but I'm pretty good at being true. I try not to look at it as a diet and I don't deprive myself if I really want something-just make better choices when I want something. True, the weight is alittle slower sometimes but total so far is 16 lbs and I'm happy. So, give it a try-you might be surprised how well you adapt to it.
Good luck