Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 09:44

Plan: My own
Stats: 165.5/155/135 Female 5'2"
BF:Too much
Progress: 34%
Default How many are on the pill and LOSING ?

I am on the low dose pill called Yasmin which contains a potassium derivative I suppose which is to help with the water gain but it seems that ever since I have started them I can't control my appetite and end up eating stuff I shouldn't. I was just wondering as I read another link about this subject ...how many are doing fine losing while continuing to take the dreaded pill?

I need it to regulate my cycle and it is working so I don't really want to stop taking it but I want to reach my goal too...

HELP !!

JEN
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 12:00

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I'm on the pill (Ortho-cyclen) and haven't noticed it causing any resistance to weight loss. I think it affects people differently though. Don't know how I can help? Maybe you could try switching types of pill, like a different brand?

#3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 12:03
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I have been on the patch since I started in September and i'm down 4 sizes.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 12:23

Plan: My own
Stats: 165.5/155/135 Female 5'2"
BF:Too much
Progress: 34%

Shew...so there is hope after all !! I was reading a another thread and it seemed like it was hindering them and I thought I would ask.

Thanks!! I probably just need to refocus myself although when I am on track it didnt seem like the pill stopped me from losing but maybe just increased my appetite (for the wrong foods of course)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 12:55
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Angela is right. Different pills affect people differently. My girlfriend just had to switch because she was so bloated, and felt sluggish all the time. She switched last week and has already dropped five pounds (probably water).

You could talk to your doctor about other options. I used to take Triphasil and always seemed to drop a few pounds when I started on it. However, if your current pill is working for you cycle-wise, you may want to stick with it. You can always talk to your doctor once you have been on the plan longer and have a better sense of whether it might be stalling you or not.

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 13:36
Registered Member

Stats: 171/155/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 39%

I gained weight when I came off the Pill, but I link that to the systemic yeast infection I developed from being on it for a few years.

A recent article about the link between the Pill and cervical (and breast) cancer.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/04/0...ers/pill_030403

LONDON - Taking the birth control pill could mean increasing your risk of getting cervical cancer, according to a new study.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer in France did a review of research along with Cancer Research UK.

The agencies discovered women who used the pill longer had greater chances of developing the disease, in all its forms.

INDEPTH: The Pill and Us

The 28 studies included a total of 12,351 women who had invasive cervical cancer or cancer that hadn't spread.
The studies had adjusted for several factors such as number of sexual partners, smoking or use of other contraceptive methods.

The review found:

women who used the pill five years or less had a 10 per cent increased risk
up to nine years, 60 per cent increased risk
12 years or more, double the risk of women who had never taken the pill
Researchers say they are continuing their study and will examine if the risk drops after a woman stops taking the pill.

FROM Oct. 10, 2000: Birth control pill may increase risk of breast cancer

Cervical cancer is the second most common cancer of women in the world. There are almost half a million new cases every year.
The study is reported in the journal The Lancet.

Previous studies have linked the pill to an increased risk of breast cancer and to a lower risk of ovarian cancer.