Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 15:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%
Default Vegetables for lunch

I believe I am not eating enough vegetables (well, I know I'm not!). Thought I would try cooking some for lunch today and see how I go.
Anyone have suggestions as to an interesting way to make vegetables appealing for lunch?
Thanks...Pam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 15:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154.5/150.5/130
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default vegetable

Steamed with butter (top with toasted sesame seeds if you are not on induction). Add a bit of cheese if you can.

Sauteed in olive oil with red bell peppers and garlic.

Anyway at all
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 15:30

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Dr. Atkins recipe fpr Ratatoulli, is awesome, 1 cup at a time, hot or cold topped with feta cheese.

Thinly sliced jiamca raw, tastes like a apple.
OR Sauted in butter................. so good.

Or simply have a few slices of Tomato, cucumcber with what ever your having.

Zucchinni slices with cheese / tomato pesto/ almond butter on top.

Beef and green soup, is just, about a cup of mixed green veggies, celery, kale /spinach/ green beans/ broccolli ( any combo),simmer in about 3/4 cups water til tender, add 1 cup or so of beef or chicken broth, add in 5-6 meatballs, lastly add a green onion, "small" dash of soy sauce/or sesame oil.

I can eat this hot or cold.

Hope you get some ideas, Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 15:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

There are great recipes on the recipe boards. I love creamed spinach, broccoli or cauliflower with cheese, OH MY the "faux"tatoes made from cauliflower are the bomb. Sauteed mushrooms or zuchini. Green bean casserole...
There are endless possibilities!

Okay...now I am getting hungry!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 16:11

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default I have vegetables for lunch almost every day.

Here are some of the things I do for lunch:

1. steamed broccoli - either with lots of butter and salt/pepper or occaisionally with Carol's Alfredo Sauce (from the recipe section here)

2. mock mashed potatoes - cook cauliflower until very soft and throw it in the blender with sour cream, butter, salt/pepper....YUM...sometimes I add bacon and shredded cheddar

3. stir-fry - chop up a cup or so of cauliflower in a food processor and stir-fry it like rice with some leftover meat, broccoli, zucchini...whatever you like...and a little teriyaki sauce (had this today with smoked sausage in it...yummy!)

4. spaghetti squash - cut in half, scoop out the seeds, wrap in foil and bake for an hour or so at 400. Toss the "noodles" with lots of butter/salt/pepper

5. raw veggies and ranch dip

Hope this gives you a few ideas. I like to load up on my veggies at lunch time because the rest of my family won't eat them. I'm already having to fix a separate meal for myself at supper than what I cook for my husband and kiddos so I plan things with as little prep-work needed as I can possibly find. I'm learning to like a lot of veggies that I had never even tried before.

Tricia
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 16:14
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Pam:

I've very conscious about getting enough veggies each day. I even track the number of servings I've had each day to ensure that I'm getting enough.

Do your veggies have to be cooked? I try to have one meal of fresh veggies per day so I don't destroy all the nutrients from them. However, I find typical salads just never fill me up no matter how much fatty dressing I put on them. Not sure why.

So I tend to cut up denser veggies like cucumber, tomato, red or green peppers, carrots, avocado.... then I'll get creative with a mayo dressing. I buy pesto in a tube and add pesto to the mayo, or add Frank's hot sauce.. or try one of the following: chipotle sauce, horseradish, orange juice & basil, you name it.... you're only limited by your imagination. Shred some cheese....add some kind of leftover meat... olives or jalapeno.... you've got a great, filling salad.

My favorite is mexican salad - I mash up half a big avocado with sour cream, then add chicken, veggies, jalapenos and hot pepper jack cheese to it. Maybe a little salsa if you like. Add salt, ground cumin, chili powder. Toss it and eat.

Neat thing is that you can always use up leftovers this way and you always get variety (and you're not still hungry).

HTH, but if it doesn't, let us know what you have in mind.

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Apr-03-03 at 16:17.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 17:09

Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%

Thanks for all your help. Thought I might try this WCollier, pls tell me if you think it's too many carbs for lunch. Also, does this fulfill my daily vege requirements?

40g Grated cheese - 0.03g carbs
1/2 avocado - 2.4
30g sour cream - 0.08
chicken breast - 0
1/2 cup microwaved broccoli - 1.7
6 cauliflower florets - 1.5
Salt/Cumin/Chilli powder

If I've done my sums right, total carbs would be 6 1/2??

Would I mash up avo & sour cream, stir in everything else, top with grated cheese, then chuck in oven for a bit??
Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks...Pam
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 17:20

Plan: My own
Stats: 208.0/176.5/160.0 Male 70 inches
BF:99.999
Progress: 66%

I am lucky. There is a restaurant in my office building. If I skip breakfast at home, I can get all the good atkins stuff there. Also there is a salad bar for lunchtime. Of course, just about everything else in there is a no no. =(
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 17:38

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%
Default How about a Reuben?

On a baking sheet, stack 4 ozs. corned beef, top with 1/2 cup warmed sauerkraut (drained), top with 2 ozs. Swiss cheese. Pop in the oven and bake for about 10-15 mins. at 400 degrees (basically until cheese melts and starts to brown a little). Lift onto plates and serve with "Russian Dressing" on the side.

Russian Dressing - Mix 1 tbs. mayonnaise with 1 tbs. LC Ketchup (I use Atkins) and 1 tbs. Dill pickle relish

This serves one and is very generous.

Stats:
Calories 532
Fat 39
Carbs 7
Fiber 4
NET CARBS 3

This really sticks to your ribs. Just a thought, if you're tired of salad...

Jones
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 17:51
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

I second the ratattouile only I prefer mozzarella or a more melty cheese than feta - I sprinkle a little cheese on and put it under the broiler to melt the cheese - really great!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 18:03

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi Pam,
I don't think since you are on OWL 61/2 carbs are to many sounds about right and it looks like it tasted good. patsi

Last edited by Pat S. : Thu, Apr-03-03 at 18:04.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 15:47
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Pamlyn
Thanks for all your help. Thought I might try this WCollier, pls tell me if you think it's too many carbs for lunch. Also, does this fulfill my daily vege requirements?

40g Grated cheese - 0.03g carbs
1/2 avocado - 2.4
30g sour cream - 0.08
chicken breast - 0
1/2 cup microwaved broccoli - 1.7
6 cauliflower florets - 1.5
Salt/Cumin/Chilli powder

If I've done my sums right, total carbs would be 6 1/2??

Would I mash up avo & sour cream, stir in everything else, top with grated cheese, then chuck in oven for a bit??
Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks...Pam

I'm sorry, I didn't see this post. For some reason, they don't always come under "subscribed threads" for me.

Well, I had mine cold, but now you have me thinking! Shoot, I'll have to wait till tomorrow to try it. What did you end up doing?

Those are total carbs, not net carbs right? You could add way more veggies if you want, like maybe 1/2 tomato or some red or green peppers? Some salsa? Isn't this fun? Throw out a few ingredients and see what people come up with?