Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 12:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224.5/218.5/200
BF:27%/27%/15%
Progress: 24%
Unhappy Newbie needs some help

Hi there. I am on 10th day of Atkins' diet, and having some problems already. The 1st week was great. I lost 8 pounds, but i have gained two back in the last three days. I have not changed my diet (20 g of carb a day). Is this normal, maybe just water weight? In addition, I am feeling a bit dizzy/light headed today. Is it resulted from the diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:37

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%
Default newbie too

HI there,

I am only on my 6th day of induction and no longer feel the symptoms of carb withdrawls. The first, second, and third day were the worst. I felt tired, almost hypogycemic like but stuck it out. Now I am on the 6th day and have lots of energy. If you read the posts, you will find that everyone has these symptoms but they generally go away in a week or so. Good luck :

Kat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 14:43
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Elephant, welcome!

Yes, fluctuations of several pounds are bound to be water weight. Low Carb weight loss often occurs in fits and starts so don't worry if you have to wait a while for your next "whoosh" of weight loss. Just keep following your programme and all will be well.

Feeling weak and light headed can be caused by a lack of potassium. During Induction, we tend to lose a lot of extra water, which can lead to a potassium deficiency.

You replace potassium either by taking tablets, or switching to a potassium salt such as Nu Salt or No Salt (just sprinkle on your food, as with normal salt).

The Drs Eades (authors of Protein Power) suggest that early in low carbing an extra 400mg daily is a good idea.
If you take the tablets, they should be taken in divided doses, and with food, as they may otherwise cause stomach irritation.

Are you drinking plenty of water? You will especially need plenty while taking potassium.

One more thing: People who are taking tablets for high blood pressure or fluid tablets should not take potassium supplements without first checking with their pharmacist.

Happy low carbing to you!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 14:46

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE...

If you absolutely insist on weighing often (I know, I do too)... take a tip from Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program...
when you weigh... write it down.. then at the end of the week AVERAGE the numbers. That average weight is what you compare. Not the individual numbers from daily weigh-ins.

I can swing upward as much as 4 (!) pounds in a days time...
it's just fluid... don't let it bother you!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 15:00

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have been trying to drink as much fluid as I can. I am estimating around 8-10 glasses a day. Does diet coke count? I usually drink a can everyday.

I take three multivitamin pills everyday. I think each pill contains 400 mg of potassium, but I will go home and check the bottle to be sure. Is that too much?

Thanks again
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 11:35

Stats: 200/163/150
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hello El -

Congrats on your losses so far, and yes, fluctuations are bound to be water weight loss. The averaging of your weekly loss is a great idea. A pound off your scale is approx. 3500 calories....did you really eat 7000 extra calories to gain those two pounds....I doubt it

8-10 glasses of water a day is a great start......don't know how big your glasses are, but I would aim for 100 - 130 ounces of water a day. I use an empty soda bottle (64 oz) and fill it up twice a day, then I use a smaller bottle or glass to drink from.

Diet coke is one of those items that affects people differently. Regular Diet Coke contains caffeine and for me, for example, caffeine gives me that "eat something to go with it" feeling, and of course, that "something" is usually NOT salad, but sweets! Some people don't handle aspartame well, their bodies treat it like sugar and their insulin spikes and drops like it was sugar. Citric acid - often fond in sodas, can affect people too.

I would not count the soda as your water intake. If you can, switch to a caffeine free diet coke, and then maybe to one every other day. It took me about a month to wean off of sodas, but I noticed that I now rarely will think of them....the only time I do think of them is when I go to a restaurant.

Keep asking questions....keep doing the food....you're doing great!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 12:18

Bad news, I have gained even more back. It is partially my own fault. Had a lot of Sashimi (Sushi without rice) last night, and I am backed up by one and a half pounds this morning. However, my ketosis is still shows in moderate level. Hoefully it just means the weight will come down after the food is fully digested. I cannot resist to weight myself, but know I will try to focus on weekly results other daily fluctuation.

The forum is great. Thanks for you all's help.