Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 05:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275.6/237.9/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Fellow kiwi's...

What drinks have you found in NZ that are suitable for induction (atkins)??? or that are just low carb??? For that matter what low carb items have you found in NZ???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 15:38
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 154/150.5/132
BF:25%/22%/15%
Progress: 16%
Smile kiwifriend

Hi Kiwifriend i am also from NZ Auckland I havent had much luck finding lc food just stick to meat nuts etc although my dh found some lc darrel lea chocolate which is very nice. I stick to drinking water green tea decaf coffee and an occassional diet coke. Snacks I have cheese and celery with cream cheese. I havent done too bad so far probably havent stuck to induction as I should I am on holiday with my husband and its hard bit trying the best I can. If you find any good lc food let me know. I think it is hard to find Atkins products here.
JULES
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194/156/140
BF:I hate to think
Progress: 70%

Check out the useful links at the top of this forum. You can get Spree with Splenda at Pak N Save (kindly reccomended to me by another kiwi on this forum). (lemonade). Nice snacks include crudites with certain dips and pates. I read the ingredients before I buy. Try sanwiching nuts such as pecans together with a mix of cream chees with splenda and ginger. That's a great snack. Look at the recipe files on this forum. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 17:08

Stats: 242/187/150 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 60%
Thumbs up low carb drinks

Yes, I agree, its tricky finding lowcarb items in nz... but it is getting easier. Healtheries shops are a good place to find the Ricci & Evans sugar-free lollies (low to NO carbs!). As far as drinks go ... it took me 2-3 weeks before I could bite the bullet and cut out my cups of tea, but when I did I found that it had been affecting my weightloss. I then went on to herbal teas, the main ones are 'green' and 'chai'tea. I tried others but found fruit ones also altered weight loss. They can take awhile to get used to, but persevere cos your tastebuds DO change over the weeks. At New World I can get 'Baker Halls Original' Tropical Low Calorie Lime... its sweetened with splenda and has only 2.1g carbs for 200mls (less if you water it down!), I like this mixed with soda water. In the last 3 weeks I've been drinking beef stock - 1 tspn in a cup of hot water makes a really tasty evening drink.

Good luck!! ... Noeleen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 04:36

Stats: 275.6/237.9/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Thanks Jules, Maren & Noelene.
Noelene what flavour Chai Tea have you found that is 'nice'?
I've noticed New World is starting to get a few low carb items, I've found Jok'n'al apple sauce, chilli pepper sauce, passionfruit sauce and that bacon that I heard mentioned in an earlier thread called 'bacon how it used to be' (or something like that). I'll have to check out that Baker Halls drinks as sometimes water gets a bit monotonous.
Happy LCarbing.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 00:58

Stats: 242/187/150 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 60%
Cool chai tea

Hi kiwifriend. Chai Tea comes in a green and a brown box ... but to be perfectly honest, I can't really taste much of a difference between them.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 04:20

Stats: 159/152/140 Female 163
BF:?
Progress: 37%
Default Hi Kiwis

Hi Ladies (I guess you all are!!!)

Since starting this back in Nov I've really taken to reading labels on food products.
A couple of things I've found are Cottee's Jam (I've seen it at Pak'N Save and Foodtown )
and Chicken Tonight Creamy Chicken with Mushroom -4.6 carbs per serving which is quarter of the jar.
Watch the Baker Hall's drinks though - some are sweetened with Splenda which is made out of sugar -too much of a good thing ....

You'll see from my journal that I'm a tortoise on this WOE - but hey - I don't mind - I'm under 70kgs for the first time in years - I'm not putting it on.

I really like this WOE because I can just stock up with low carb food and don't have to weigh or measure or count points!!!
I have found I have to be careful with cheese - it seems to hinder progress and have also found that the vitamins/ supplements are essential ( for things like cramp, constipation etc. -sorry to get so nitty gritty!!!)
Some people think it's expensive but I believe if you stop buying all the junk food/ cakes/muffins/milk etc and don't pay WW or JC for the pleasure of weighing you each week, this WOE is no more expensive.
The support on here is great, just about any questions you have will have already been answered somewhere or some kind person will direct you to the right place.
Goodluck