Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 11:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins plan
Stats: 167/156/130
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question Feeling weak - normal on induction?

I was wondering, I seem to be feeling some weakness (nearly at the end of my two weeks of induction, 11 lbs. lost so far).

I am fine just doing easy, day-to-day stuff, but when I try to, for instance, climb 3 flights of stairs hauling up 20-30 lbs. of groceries, by the time I get to the top, I feel almost light-headed and my muscles in my legs actually feel like they are close to muscle failure.

I didn't feel that way before the diet...is it just that my muscles are still trying to learn how to operate on fat stores instead of just operating from sugar like they are used to?

Is this something I can expect to always feel on this WOE, or is there eventually an adjustment that happens and you don't feel so weak and light-headed?

Right now, the idea of doing any really strenuous exercise - anything beyond walking, that is - seems daunting to me given my weakness in my muscles.

Thanks,
Love, Leora
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 11:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Leora,

Sorry you're not feeling up to par, but congratulations on the 11 lbs gone. Here's a link in "Hot Links" that might answer your questions.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...1901#post271901

judy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 12:02
Registered Member

BF:

Wow, thank you so much!

I thought I was the only one, LOL! Gosh, I didn't know it was a common thing!

I will read all of it, thank you!

Love, Leora
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 17:48

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I felt the same way, many times, doing the stairs, not a nice feeling is it.

Atkins says if that happens you need to up your carbs abit, and lack of Potassium will do that also. I was only taking 100 mg a day my doctor just increased it to 550, I'm much better now.

Cheers Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 19:46
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks so much! I will go out and see if I can find a multivitamin with potassium in it and see if that helps me!

And I will likely be upping my carbs anyway (more low-carb veggies) because I am coming out of induction in another day or two and "graduating" to the OWL phase.

Love, Leora
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 19:51

Stats: 164/149/135
BF:39
Progress: 52%

I also had the muscle fatigue and found it improved with some magnesium supplements (potassium didn't work) and also better since I've increased carbs but still find climbing stairs a "challenge". (Watch potassium - not to be taken with blood pressure medication.) Fortunately since losing 5 kg i have been able to cease my medication and BP has returned to normal!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 21:49
Registered Member

BF:

Hmmm...okay....I'll try to find a vitamin pill with potassium AND magnesium....

Hopefully it will work...

Love, Leora
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 22:32
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Leora,

You won't find a multivite with sufficient porassium or magnesium. I'm afraid you'll need to take them separately.

Magnesium is best taken in combination with calcium in 2cal:1mag ratio. Adults need 1000:500 (post menopausal women 1500:750).

Potassium can be taken either by taking tablets, or just by switching to a potassium salt such as Nu Salt or No Salt (just sprinkle on your food, as with normal salt).

The Drs Eades (authors of Protein Power) suggest that early in low carbing an extra 400mg daily is a good idea.
If you take the tablets, they should be taken in divided doses, and with food, as they may otherwise cause stomach irritation.

Are you drinking plenty of water? You will especially need plenty while taking potassium.

One more thing: People who are taking tablets for high blood pressure or fluid tablets should not take potassium supplements without first checking with their pharmacist.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 18:45
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you so much!

I went out today and purchased magnesium and potassium tablets - the magnesium came already with calcium so that worked out well.

Love, Leora
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 19:58

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default YUP

I felt like that for a few days too....I just ate more and drank water...it soon went.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 10:26
Krazy Karb Kel

Plan: south beach/atkins
Stats: 174/154/135 ? Female 5 feet or so
BF:not sure....
Progress: 20%
Default Exercise

I too was feeling weak during my exercise. Seemes to take about ten minutes to "get into" it.. I will ry to get Potassium and Mag this weekednd.. Thanks Guys.