Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 07:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/185/170
BF:way too much
Progress: 50%
Default Pure Delight

I found these wonderful chocolate bars that say they have less than 1 gm carbs, but they taste too good. Does anyone know if there is something I'm missing here? Also, when its says on packaging (not the chocolate bars) that the NET CARBS are, does Atkins consider net carbs or just what the nutriction data says? Or said another way, what are net carbs and does Atkins look at net or gross carbs?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 11:50

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Hi John:

I have bought these Pure Delite bars also. They do have an effective 2 carbs to most of them. There are for example in the Carmel Peanut Butter Bar - 17 Carbs, Less 1 gram fiber, Less 14 grams of sugar alcohol which gives you an Effective Carb of 2 g. They say that sugar alcohols' impact on blood sugar and insulin levels are negligible. BUT, some people tend to stall their weight loss if eating too many of these.

Net carbs are after any dietary fiber is subtracted from Total Carbs, i.e., 10 Net Carbs, Less 2 dietary carbs = 8 Net Carbs. Hope that answers your question.

Rose

Last edited by RBalhan : Sat, Mar-15-03 at 11:52.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 307/168/155
BF:
Progress: 91%

Welcome to the Forum and LC'ing. The Pure Delight do taste pretty good, but moderation is the key with that stuff. As mentioned it can stall out some people and also remember when consuming Sugar Alcohols that they tend to dehydrate you somewhat so keep your water even a bit above average if you eat much of the stuff. Good luck!

Kindest Regards,

LoneInAz
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 11:10
Registered Member

Stats: 198/168/145
BF:
Progress: 57%
Talking

Hi John, I am a Northeast Floridian and just thought I would welcome you to the forum. I just started back on induction 4 days ago after a stressful week in which I slipped off the wagon ( that I had been on since Oct.). My cravings are all but gone and I am a much nicer person without the carbs . I noticed that you mentioned about the delicious bars that you found. I have not tried that particular brand but I got hooked on some sugarfree pecan turtles that were low carb after you subtr. the sugar alcohols. I think, no I know, that those candies were keeping me from losing like I have in the past on Atkins. I don't buy them anymore and I also stopped the Atkins bars, which had the same effect on my losses. If I want a treat I will have a bite but never more than that. I hope you keep up the good work and I am sure you will find the Low carb way of life (wol) a very satisfying one!
Have a great rest of the weekend! Kim 198/172/155
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 12:09

Plan: Atkins/testing CAD
Stats: 198/184/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

I had the same question so I asked my new doctor who happens to believe in the low carb life too. The suggestion was not to eat these for snacks or as a meal replacement. Eat your protein high meal and finish with a dessert of these products. The protein serves as a protector on your system so you won't react chemically by setting off cravings. I think it makes sense so that's what I intend to do.

For me this has to be a way of life, not just a diet to lose some weight and look better in my clothes. To live on it I must enjoy what I'm doing. The pleasure of eating some low carb choclate when everyone else is eating a sugar rich dessert helps me to resist and stay on course. That makes them a tool to support my success. Of course that is only my opinion. You will do what works for you and only you can figure that out from experience.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 20:12

Stats: 200/185/170
BF:way too much
Progress: 50%
Default Thanks to all that have replied to my post

I have been on Atkins for 8 years (first went on the diet in early 70's), was always able to control weight and then I found some food that stated low carbs and tasted great. I have not changed anything except I eat these new low carb treats. I don't abuse them, just eat a slice of Atkins bread each day and maybe have a Pure Delight Dark Chocolate bar. For the first time I am gaining weight, instead of losing. I used to be able to do a ice cream binge every other weekend. I would be a strict LC Atkins for 3 weeks, lose 3-10 lbs and then eat one pint of cookie chunky monkey on a weekend. Then go back on Atkins and never see my weight rise. Now I look like the Chunky Monkey poster boy. Look forward to hearing from you all and anybody that has info on these products. Also, I have a steak almost everynight coated with Walden Farms NO CARB, NO Sugar BarBQue sauce. If I have to give up these foods I can, but if not I need to figure out what else isn't working. No Cookie Chunky Monkey in 2 months, eck!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 23:02

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

AREN'T THE PURE DE-LITE BARS WONDERFUL??

My husband loves the Chocolate Mint, and the Caramel Peanut Butter. I love the Chocolate Almond and the Caramel Pecan. We have one per week -- usually on Saturday, as a treat after lunch or dinner. So far I haven't noticed any appreciable effect on my insulin level as a result of the maltitol (sugar alcohol).

If you have a Wal-Mart near you, they sell the single bars for 96 cents each, and the thin chocolate bars in boxes of 6 for around $5.00.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 08:11

Plan: Atkins/testing CAD
Stats: 198/184/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

Its hard to believe that a few low carb products could be the reason for the weight gain. They aren't that high in calories either. Its wonderful to hear you've been doing the program for 8 years, good for you.

Have you thought about other changes you might be making without really being aware of it? Perhaps increasing portions of foods you were eating before? Even safe foods still have calories and an increase will result in a pound gain here or there over time. How about your exercise, has that decreased? Are you drinking plenty of water?

In Atkins first book years ago I remember reading in the questions and answers section someone asking if calories make any difference at all. He said in the beginning no they don't, but as you start adding in other foods raising your carbo intake you have to start considering the caloric count as well to maintain your weight or continue losing.

Weight loss is still about taking in less calories. Atkins provides satiety because of all the protein, that in itself causes people to typically consume less calories in the process. I maybe a newbie now, but I did live on Atkins years ago and reached my goal and stayed there for over 3 years. I started inching back up and stopped being careful about portions, which then stared my cycle downward and my weight upward. I just wanted to warn you that this is a potential problem, even on Atkins.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 09:03

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default WELCOME

Hi John
Welcome aboard!!

Anyone who takes a look at my journal will see, I do love my chocolate. Thank Goodness for these low carb treats, I think I've tried them ALL!

I've recently found out that there is a Russell Stover store in my area and that they have a LARGE sugar free section... uh oh!