Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:25

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Question Zone Coach: Correct Ratio 30-40-30???

I have 2 Zone books (one is loaned out) but I can't find in the Soy Zone what the ratios are. Is it 40 carb, 30 protein, 30 fat or something else?

Today is my first REAL day and, according to fitday.com, I ended up with 27% fat, 22% carbs, 36% protein (thanks to my boiled shrimp and wine supper).

I did calculate per meal, I do understand that important principle!

Thanks for assistance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:28

Ok, those %s added up to 85%. Then 15% for fiber. What does that mean? Do I add the 15% to the carbs?? I'm studying for the GRE and this seems like it should be on the test!

Thanks again.
jinx
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 20:01

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/144/135 Female 5'9"
BF:19
Progress: 44%

Hi Jinx,

I hope I can help. The ratio is 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

So per Zone Block would be:
7 grams of Protein-9 grams of Carbs-3 grams of fat

If you are staying in the Soy Zone, then you are probably using Tofu as a protein also. If so, check the labels, make sure to calculate the fat grams if any and watch for the carbs
If you use Fat free tofu then add 1 fat block (3 grams of fat) for every protein block.

Meat and poultry we count as already having some fat in it. So if you were to have 3 oz of chicken (this equals 3 blocks of protein) then you are to add 1.5 x 3 = total fat blocks.

If this sounds confusing, which it can be at first, feel free to ask more questions. Hope I helped a little?

Fitday.com is a great way to calculate your cals and for free!

Lisa

Last edited by lisalaura : Mon, Mar-10-03 at 20:02.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 20:52

Plan: Ketovore
Stats: 203/173/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:

jinx... fitday counts the grams in fiber as well. No you aren't supposed to count the fiber, but I do. According to fitday if I enter each meal and say it is just one block, it never comes out right with the %'s... but the 3 fat, 9 carbs & 7 protein, come up right... Makes it harder to calculate with fitday. But I still think the fitday is a great tool. I just count the protein in the complete protein and ignore the other proteins... if that made any sense... lol
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 09:36

Thanks very much you two! I'm getting the hang of this - SLOWLY BUT SURELY!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 09:50

Oh Linda,
Yes, I THINK I do get what you mean (more so now that I've re-read your post ). So, don't enter protein from bread or other stuff? Just my official protein souces - like meat, milk (mixed, of course), tofu? I think that is what's throwing me off.

I convince myself, going by "blocks" that what I'm eating is perfectly balance, I enter it into fitday and GOOD GOLLY what in the H-E-double toothpicks happend???

I do love fitday, though. It helps for me to not cheat because those calories DO add up - and so does the subsequent grogginess of not being Zoned. In the past I could convince myself that a bite of this or that didn't matter. Now that I enter every bite and see it in living um.. black and white, makes all the difference.

Your're the best. Have a fab day.
Jinx
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 17:32

BF:

Quote:
So, don't enter protein from bread or other stuff? Just my official protein sources - like meat, milk (mixed, of course), tofu?
Oh... I enter every thing, but I just look at the complete proteins like milk, tofu, and meat and count those up and just ignore what fitday says... I was reading what Zone Coach said about nuts, beans & legumes, and she said to count 70% of the protein from those. Sense I really like beans, I may start doing that. It would cut down the amount I have to supplement with more protein.
Quote:
I convince myself, going by "blocks" that what I'm eating is perfectly balance, I enter it into fitday and GOOD GOLLY what in the H-E-double toothpicks happend???
I do that too! But I am learning how to work Zone & Fitday... I think I depend on fitday to much... lol. I can't seem to get it right without it!

Last edited by adnil53 : Wed, Mar-12-03 at 18:04.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 22:12

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally posted by adnil53
Oh... I enter every thing, but I just look at the complete proteins like milk, tofu, and meat and count those up and just ignore what fitday says...

You've got the right idea.
Quote:
I was reading what Zone Coach said about nuts, beans & legumes, and she said to count 70% of the protein from those.
Sense I really like beans, I may start doing that. It would cut down the amount I have to supplement with more protein.

You can do that too if you like. Check out the post I just made under the 'calories-calories' thread. It will help you in that decision process along with giving you an understanding WHY you're doing it. I'd hate to have someone just blindly doing it, because it could throw off the protein one should really be consuming. It also could make it too difficult for some to stick with the plan.
I have no doubt you will not find it too complicated.

Clear mental focus makes a difference eh!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 23:29

BF:

Thank you Zone Coach... I did know that about complementary protein and some being complete and some not... I think I will pass on the complementing them at the moment. I think it will be a tad bit hard not to get to many carbs. I'll continue on as I have been... it is working, so why mess with it! 'Clear mental focus makes a difference eh!' ... yup, makes a difference