Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 13:01
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Is this a side-effect of LCing?

I have been LCing since Sept '01. Since then, I have noticed this strange thing upon waking. Sometimes my fingertips feel really heavy, almost tingly, but not quite. I never had this before LCing. I've tried to find a pattern, but can't.

I notice it is there after eating a high-carb meal the day before, but often I also get it after eating a LC meal. This happens almost every morning upon waking.

It doesn't bother me. It's just a strange sensation. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I'm sure someone, will jump in here and give you a better Idea, But I think it has to do with Blood pressure ? I used to get the same thing long before atkins. And it seems to me low Potassium can play a part in that as well.

But like I say be patient, someone "In the know better than I", will be around shortly I'm sure.

Cheers Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 12:03
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Kathy:

My blood pressure is 110/70 and I supplement with potassium, magnesium and calcium.

I'm not really sure if I should worry about it or not. Something tells me I shouldn't, but then, I've been known to minimize symptoms before. Before LC, I used to always wake up groggy in the morning. Maybe it's just that since the grogginess is no longer there, I notice this.

But it's just as I'm waking up, the first thing I'm aware of is my fingertips. Weird, huh?

Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:14
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistant diet
Stats: 320/240/138
BF:44%/33%/19%
Progress: 44%

It sounds like hyperkalaemia to me possibly, excessive potassium, most people urinate out excess potassium but some people retain it.

I would have some blood work done to make sure your levels arent too high. I dont want to scare you, just encourage you to get it tested because excessive potassium can cause serious problems that can lead to convulsions, coma, heart attack and heart failure. Please get it checked out to make sure you are alright.

Also ask to get your kidney function checked out that can lead to hyperkalaemia and is hidden alot of times until you go on supplements.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:09
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi April:

I will look into that. I've only been supplementing with potassium since the fall and this has been happening for 1 1/2 years. But I am scheduled for some blood work so I'll make sure this is tested.

Have some research to do.

Wanda
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Wanda!

Those symptoms could be attributed to quite a few things including a pinched nerve somewhere between your neck and your wrist. Have you ever been tested for carpal tunnel syndrome?
If all your bloodwork looks okay, that might be another avenue to pursue.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 18:23
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi again Lisa:

About 7 years ago I had nerve damage to my right wrist b/c of a cortisone injection which turned into Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. But this is in both hands. I've had pinched nerves and damaged nerves before but this isn't the same feeling. And carpel tunnel would be really painful as well.

It's just a sensation. Not like "pins and needles". The fingertips just feel heavy and like something's moving around inside the fingertips. Not "creepy crawly" moving either. Maybe like "fluid" moving. Descriptions are obviously not my forte. But it goes away shortly after I come fully awake.

I wonder if it's sleep-related since my sleep patterns changed so much since I started LCing? I also wondered if it was blood sugar-related, but I guess not since no one else experiences it.

Wanda
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 09:09
Registered Member

Something just came to me, if its after a high carb meal you could have swelling from water weight, and numbness of the fingers could be from carpal tunnel and the swelling presses on it. It would make sense it would be more of a problem when you sleep since that is when you hold your water weight and swelling.

Last edited by *April S* : Thu, Mar-06-03 at 09:11.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 10:42
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi April:

Boy, I must be an idiosyncracy! I've noticed this happens after high or low carb meals the day before. There's been no obvious pattern but I am going to keep track of it from now on. I'm getting really curious now.

Re: carpel tunnel - I thought it would be painful? Is that sensation I'm describing considered numbness?

Hmmmm, water retention. That's a thought. I do generally tend to wake up a bit swollen in my face (even though I drink 3.5 liters of water each day).

Actually, I just remembered something else. I had totally forgotten that I have Raynaud's. I wonder if this could be related? Only thing is I get this sensation in the summer and Raynaud's only affects me in the winter.

What do you guys think?

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Mar-06-03 at 10:43.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 19:27
Registered Member

Hmm I just looked up raynauds, I had never heard of it before, and it sounds similar to the problems you are stating. Tingling feeling could be a preset to numbness. Unfortunately there is probably a list of things that would come with these symptoms. I would be very observent and keep a diary to take to your doctor since this can be so varied he might be able to diagnose it easier.

Good luck with this and I hope it clears up for you soon.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%

When I walk long distances, I tend to have some swelling in my hands/wrists/fingers as a result of fluid build up. While I am walking, I can feel the fluid build up, and it sort of sounds like what you described. This is normal. I remember reading information about this in a walking for fitness web site.Here is a link to their site I have been searching for data for you, but I have not yet found it.
I'll keep looking.

I found it. Try this link

Last edited by RodeRash : Wed, Mar-12-03 at 15:09.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:15
Mad Scientist

BF:

Oh cool. So maybe just some fluid buildup overnight.

Thanks,
Wanda
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 08:40
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%

If you swing your arms when you walk, and you do not keep your elbows bent at about a 90 degree angle, the centrifucal force of the arm swing will cause a buildup of your body fluids (blood, etc.) in your hands and fingers. (The force of swinging your arms is forcing blood into your extremities faster than your heart can pump it out) Your body will return to normal shortly after you quit walking. Bending your arms when walking hard is good for two reasons.
1. It minimizes the "pump" that you have described.
2. It helps you walk faster.

BTW. I know I should bend my elbows when I walk, but I usually don't.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 10:06
Mad Scientist

BF:

I naturally walk with my elbows bent. Good to see I do something right. I think it just confirms that it's a bit of swelling overnight in my fingers for whatever reason. Probably the cold weather doesn't help any.

Wanda