Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 06:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Udo's Choice Oils

I have already posted this under Nutrition and Supplements in the Low Carb Health and Technical Forums, but as there doesn't seem to be much activity there, I thought it might be an idea to post here about it here as well.

What I'm really interested in is hearing from anybody who actually Udo's Choice Oils, whether in the pure oil form or in capsules (which is better?). Do you really feel it works, and has it made a difference to your general health?

The main reason I would like to know, is that, although it is available in the UK, it is very expensive here and I am loathe to spend a lot of money on something that may not be of real benefit.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 11:02

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Question

I never heard of this - - what is it for - - what does it contain???
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 11:44

BF:

Udo's Choice Oil Blend is a mix of the Omega 3, 6 and 9 varieties of Essential Fatty Acid sources. Have a look at Udo Eramus's website, especially the products page.

Last edited by Demi : Thu, Feb-27-03 at 11:45.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:17

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I do take an Omega 3 & Fatty Acid suppliment and have been in generally better health than ever BUT I also attribute that to this WOE which I have been on for 10 months and losing all the weight. My doctor is all for Omega 3 oils and everything I have read about it is positive so I don't believe it would hurt you taking it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:58
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Demi:

I have read Udo Erasmus's book, "Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill". Even in his book he states that you don't have to buy his products. However, his book is very good to read in order to gain an understanding of how fats can kill. It's all about the processing and use of fats. His book will guide you in how to find the best products where you live.

I could write a lengthy post as a synopsis of the book, but it would be very long and I could never really do it justice.

The other site I really like is the Weston Price Foundation: Know Your Fats

BTW, the best naturally balanced oil (Omega 6: Omega 3) without buying supplements is Hemp Oil.

HTH,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Feb-27-03 at 14:01.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 06:00

BF:

Thanks Wanda

I have ordered the book via Amazon, as it sounds very interesting read, and will check out the Hemp Oil.

I have always taken Flaxseed Oil and Oil of Evening Primrose to obtain my Omega-3 and Omega-6s. It was just that I came across Udo's Oil in my local health shop and thought it might be worth using - unfortunately in the UK a month's supply is around £30 (nearly $50) - so I wanted to know if it was worth spending that sort of money, rather than sticking to my normal supplements.

I might just give it a try anyway
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 08:25
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have never been able to take Udo's Oils b/c I am very intolerant to flaxseed. So I take fish oil instead.

What I can say is that his products are good quality. He has a very interesting history, which you'll find in his book. He was poisoned by pesticides and tried to regain his health. That book was his journey. He's also got his PhD in nutrition and post grad studies in genetics and biochemistry.

His products came about as a result of the oil industry's disregard for properly manufacturing their oils, so he actually pioneered technology for processing healthy oils. Given that, yes, I would trust his product which is more than I can say for many. You'll notice on the packaging that he lists the date the oil was produced and you also write in the date when you open it.

Let me know how you like the book. It's a bit technical, but you can kinda bypass the techie stuff if it's too much.

HTH,
Wanda