Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/190/150
BF:
Progress: 27%
Angry Why am I not losing anymore

Im frusterated with not losing anymore. I lost 8 pounds my first week. And nothing my second week. Tommorow will be 2 weeks. A regular breakfast for me is 2 scrambled eggs with either 4 pieces of sausage or bacon. Lunch consists of some kind of salad (tuna, chicken or taco with spicy hamburger and red peppers, olives) mostly veggies,
Dinner consists of some type of meat and a veggie or another salad.
I was having a sugar free vanilla breve (half&half) everyday. That did not seem to hinder weight loss the first week. But I have not had one in the last few days. I was eating some kind of protein bars that had 3 grams of carbs and no sugar. I gave them up yesterday. But I don't know I'm ready to throw in the towel. I would love to just have a bowl of cereal and a yogart (yummy). What gives!
And another thing my sticks (pee sticks as my children call them) they never ever turn color. Sometimes a tiny spot of light pink. I don't know what i'm doing wrong! Help me!
Oh I forgot one thing I have about 2 servings of sugar free jello a day. I also try to work out for 30-40 minutes everyday.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:18
Registered Member

Stats: 188/162/145 Female 69
BF:39%/30/26%
Progress: 60%
Exclamation don't stop now!

Please don't stop...you've had such a great start.

I lost a lot on both of my induction weeks but then stalled for three full weeks only losing 1 pound. I was very discouraged even though I followed everything to a tee, just like you seem to be doing. Your body needs time to adjust and believe me it will. Others can give you a lot more advice about the types of food you should be eating instead of what you are. I'm still not really good at that. I don't have that "flair" just yet. I have to cheat and read everyone else's fitday logs! But thank goodness for this forum. The answers are all here and the people are all here to help you.

You're doing great. Don't stop now, keep going and keep trying and keep looking at your pee sticks. Any little hue is good.

Oh and DON'T eat the cereal! I have a BIG cereal craving (Cocoa Puffs) and it was killing me every night for 5 weeks. Then when I didn't lose and didn't lose, I finally gave in, ate a cup of cocoa puffs with a quarter cup of heavy cream mixed with water and it tasted great and the next day I lost 2 pounds! So at least wait for 3 more weeks but don't tell anyone I told you to!

Dina
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:22

Stats: 290/270/200
BF:?
Progress: 22%

8 lbs in 2 weeks not bad! congrats! Be patient the wieght will come off. Much to early to throw in the towel. Stay the course

PS half + half has a good amount of carbs
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:23
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there,

Believe it or not (and I hope you do ), you are actually doing very well! Most of us can expect to lose 10% of the weight we wish to lose during Induction, followed by 5 to 10% a month after that. You've already lost 18%. Well done!

Weight loss while low carbing often happens in fits and starts. It's as though your body needs to stop and draw breath after a big loss - and yes, 8 pounds in one week is a very big loss.

Have you heard of the Whoosh Fairy? Because some folk seem to lose weight in occasional "whooshes" rather than in steady, regular losses, some bright spark decided the losses are due to the Whoosh Fairy removing the losses overnight.
Here is a link to a better explanation of the irregular losses:

http://www.jalilahsahar.com/whooshes.html

HTH!

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 20:57
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Count your carbs!

It sounds to me like you are eating a lot of food; much of it in the form of snacks. I suggest you stop snacking, remain in Induction for another week, and follow it to the letter. And listen to that little voice that is trying to tell you that you've had enough. It can take a few weeks for the physical cravings to diminish. But that voice is still there, trying to warn you.

In the meantime, your own determination and success should sustain you past these moments of crisis. You must make up your mind to make this diet work and stick it out until you feel those cravings subside. The Atkins diet assumes that you will gradually diminish your food volume. Eat your meals to the comfort level and avoid the snacks. Every time you want a snack, go stand in front of the mirror to make your decision.

With your exercise program, you could also now be trading some fat for muscle. It happens frequently. Don't get too discouraged but take contol and stop all that snacking and see what happens.

Also, don't worry too much about the weekly weight loss. I only weight once a month. Pay attention more to how you feel, how your clothes fit and how you can start moving around more easily.

Do not give up!!! Don't even think about it!! And don't be so easily discouraged! You are not going to find a better opportunity than what is before you now, to lose the weight you must lose to be healthy and happy.