Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 11:13

Plan: PP
Stats: 205/205/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question New pls help

Hello everyone! I am new to this site, and am planning on starting PP. I have had a weight problem pretty much my whole life and in the last 4-5 years have been at my heaviest weight ever, not to mention in the lowest of spirits!

Now, I am really scared because I am 205 llbs and 3 months pregnant, with my second child.......which means the weight is only uphill from here! Also, I have gained 8 llbs or so in these 3 months alone (which is maybe because i thought i had a reason to eat without watching what i ate) and now my blood pressure has increased. The weight is already getting quite uncormfotable and I think I better do something about it.

I understand everything about carb counting, but I am confused about calculating protein portions, and do they have to be followed?

pls help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 11:20

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default Your pregnant

SO frankly your not to be holding back calories.
But.. make sure you have cut out all extra stuff, soda, candy, cake, bread, potatoes.. ect.
You might very well need all of those pounds right now in growing that baby and healing your body at the same time.
Just a thought..
and check with your Dr.
Nedra
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 11:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Congratulations on the pending arrival.

You should not try to be in ketosis NOR to lose weight while pregnant. But while you SHOULD gain the weight needed for a healthy baby, you could still eat a very healthy diet by cutting out the sugars, starches, baked goods, junk food and carby snacks.

Instead of white bread, buy the most "grainy" kind you can find. Or a low carb bread if it's available in your area. Whole grain cereals (the hot kind) are excellent in nutrients and wouldn't put on fat if you don't use sugar on them. Avoid all cold cereals that have sugars added or sugar flavourings.

Vegetables and salad are always good. You need fruits for the vitamins. And dairy for the calcium to make baby bones.

So forget about not gaining the weight during the pregnancy. After you have a healthy little darling to hug, you can work on losing the fat.

The Maintenance menus for any low carb plan will give you excellent ideas of how to eat: Protein Power, Atkins Maintenance, The Schwarzbein Principle. They all list the sort of foods to eat and many to avoid. But don't do the initial phase of any of them until Junior arrives. Eating this way will also help stabilize your blood sugar levels and perhaps the blood pressure too. But do listen to your doctor.

It's not the weight, it's the fat we want to lose.

All the best.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 22:55

Plan: PP
Stats: 205/205/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thank you for your prompt replies!

Thank you both for your prompt replies! Appreciate them.