Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 15:17

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default How are YOU reconciling the LC eating portion of the plan?

I'm just going over and over the seeming disconnect between low carbing and these weight lifting programs (I'm doing BodyRX, but also read BFL).

So I'm curious how you guys are adapting your eating so that you remain low carb (ish) and yet are getting results from the weight training.

I know there's the sticky about LCing tips and tricks...helpful but not enough to really wrap my brain around it. I think this has a lot to do with understanding nutrition and how carbs/fats/proteins work together and work when training - something I certainly know nothing about...and it seems most doctors and nutritionists don't either!

Anyway, I don't know if I'm trying to give myself an excuse to eat more carbs - or if a little more carbs is the way to go.

BodyRX is low(ER) fat - not as low fat as BFL is.
Whole eggs are good, as well as good fats naturally contained in meats. Although chicken thighs are NOT recommended.

I know there are some LC things that I just cannot give up on...like real butter on broccoli or on lc bread. Or pork chops.

But Body RX has most veggies (except the usual corn and potatoes) and fruits as do-not-count carbs. I like that idea. I like the idea of adding in fruits as well.
I also like the idea of a starch (like brown rice or acorn squash) once a day or so - certainly within the limits of BodyRX - but certainly crossing the boundary with Low Carbing.

And I know we have to do that which we are going to stick with.
And I know we have to experiment with what works best for us.
But I'd really NOT like to shoot myself in the foot before I really get started.

My dilemma is:
I'm happy to add in the "green" carbs - most veggies and fruits without counting them.
I'm not happy to restrict my protein source intake - making some higher fat choices like chops.
I'm not happy to TOTALLY restrict my fat intake - like butter and oils.

Will these 3 together end up sabotaging my efforts?

Typical meal plan:
Keep in mind my goals of 175 grams protein and about 30 to 45 grams fiber a day

Meal 1:
3 eggs with cream cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes
1 slice LC bread with butter
coffee w/ cream

Meal 2:
LC shake - sometimes with frozen strawberries blended in

Meal 3:
Tuna with mayo and olives
Some mixed frozen vegetable (might even be peas and carrots)

Meal 4:
All-Bran cereal with 1% milk
(recommended by BodyRX to get the fiber up)

Meal 5:
beef or chicken dinner cooked via low carb cookbook
Broccoli (sometimes with butter)
starch - acorn squash or brown rice

Meal 6:
strawberries and cream with Splenda

With this meal plan, I can easily hit my protein requirements and fiber requirements. And there's enough variety that my family is happy. But it is definitely WAY more carbs total than I have even done when LCing. That scares me.

What do you guys think AND, more importantly, what do YOU guys DO?
-- Loretta
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 13:20

BF:
Default anyone?

Anybody?
Anybody?

I KNOW you guys are mostly tweaking the Body For Life program to fit your Low Carb way of life. Would love to hear HOW you're doing it!
:-)
-- Loretta
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have a look at Marlaine's journal. She successfully works out and keeps it all low-carb.

Instead of All-Bran, I would use flax meal and spinach for fiber and I would really stay away from any grains and carby vegetables. I think the important thing when resistance training is geting enough protein to build muscle, low-glycemic carbs before working out for energy and low-glycemic carbs after training to prevent cortisol from doing its work.

I find it much easier to lift at night instead of in the morning because I've been eating all day and I like the Body Rx program much more than I ever liked BFL. BFL seemed like such a chore, but I don't regret it.

I'm sure the BFL and Body Rx food plans work in spades, but who wants to give up all that nice fat! There is a reason for the food plans that go along with the programs, but with some adjustment you can keep it LC. You may want to look at Protein Power or Schwarzbein as an eating plan because you can take in a few more carbs.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:59

BF:
Default Thanks so much Karen!

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Have a look at Marlaine's journal. She successfully works out and keeps it all low-carb.

woo! Took a look. I'll have to do that in installations! :-) Skimmed up to page 23 today. Will keep looking at it over the next week or so.

Quote:
Instead of All-Bran, I would use flax meal and spinach for fiber and I would really stay away from any grains and carby vegetables. I think the important thing when resistance training is geting enough protein to build muscle, low-glycemic carbs before working out for energy and low-glycemic carbs after training to prevent cortisol from doing its work.

My first instinct when I read this was "I remember trying flax meal 4 years ago and really didn't like it - blech!" But I bet there are some good ways to prep it on this message board, so I'll look into it.
Turns out the All-Bran is quite low carb (as far as cereal goes).
A half cup is 20 grams carb, but 13 are fiber.
It's the milk that gets ya!

Also, I do use my stores light bread. It's 8 carbs, 2 of which are fiber.

Quote:
I'm sure the BFL and Body Rx food plans work in spades, but who wants to give up all that nice fat! There is a reason for the food plans that go along with the programs, but with some adjustment you can keep it LC. You may want to look at Protein Power or Schwarzbein as an eating plan because you can take in a few more carbs.

I am following Protein Power, but never really got to Level II (too afraid to try to tweak).

I think I have figured out what I'm most comfortable with, although I still don't know if it's going to equal sabotage.

Here are the things mulling around in my mind:
1) Eating more carbs (but still quite limited) does not cause cravings or set backs or anything that I can tell so far
2) I have to cook for a hubby and 2 small boys. Hubby has often complained while cooking Protein Power-wise that there just aren't enough carbs around (eventhough I tell him he can eat whatever he wants for lunch at work - since I don't see it! :-)
3) There are a number of veggies and some fruits that I still really miss. Not because I crave them, but for the variety. LowCarbwise, you're really with broccoli, cauliflower, green beans (whatever cut), lettuce/spinach, mushrooms, strawberries. Not a big variety for me.

Now, the design of the Body RX meal plan is to OVER TIME lower people's carb intake and increase their protein intake (and fiber intake).
I think I will do the same, but on a much lower carb scale:

First 6 weeks:
Unlimited green carbs - I just won't count them
1 yellow carb a day
(Fit day seems to be showing this to total around 120 carbs total, not including the 30 to 60 grams of fiber.)
Higher than Protein Power? YES, but not much.
Haven't noticed any bad side effects (except that beans and I don't really agree)

For instance, here's today's breakdown:
Total: 2325 calories
Fat: 139 1247 56%
Carbs: 114 332 15%
Fiber: 31 0 0%
Protein: 163 652 29%

This includes 2 slices bread and parsnips (yum!)
Oh..and more strawberries than would normally be allowed.

Next 6 weeks:
while upping the protein and the fiber, limiting the yellow carbs to 3 or so times a week.
Choosing some of the lower carb green carbs
My guess is that this will end up being around 100 carbs total with 45 being fiber.

3rd 6 weeks:
See how it goes.. Maybe eliminating yellow carbs altogether.

Thanks so much for your input, Karen!
I really really really value help from such a guru as yourself! :-)
-- Loretta

Last edited by lpioch : Tue, Feb-25-03 at 15:01.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 16:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Thanks so much Karen!

Quote:
Originally posted by lpioch
Now, the design of the Body RX meal plan is to OVER TIME lower people's carb intake and increase their protein intake (and fiber intake).
Loretta, this is not mentioned in the book - it comes from personal correpsondence w/ Dr. Scott by a friend of mine - but if you're already comfortable with the higher level of protein & fiber and the lower level of carbs (from some other diet or WOE) then Scott claims its OK to start off with Cycle 3 Nutrition.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 20:48

BF:
Default This is good to hear...

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Loretta, this is not mentioned in the book - it comes from personal correpsondence w/ Dr. Scott by a friend of mine - but if you're already comfortable with the higher level of protein & fiber and the lower level of carbs (from some other diet or WOE) then Scott claims its OK to start off with Cycle 3 Nutrition.

It's good to hear this.
I think the way I'm going to approach it ends up being
Cycle 3 Nutrition - Cycle 1
Something inbetween - Cycle 2
Low Carbing aka Protein Power - Cycle 3

It's going to lend more variety to my family cooking (without my having to be a short-order cheff). It's going to make getting fiber more fun. And it's just feels healthy.
No signs of negative effects
(although I've sworn myself off the scale for the next 17 weeks!)

-- Loretta

Last edited by lpioch : Tue, Feb-25-03 at 20:49.