Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 13:43

Plan: paleolithic
Stats: 162/162/126
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default how's this for a basic diet plan?

hi everyone, to fill you in, I've been following a paleolithic diet - very badly! - snice new year's day.

the one problem I have is carbohydrate. I'm trying to aim for a next-to-no carb diet, but I'm still eating loads of it - mostly in the form of orange juice and other fruits, bananas being the worst.

the hang-up is that I'm not keen on nuts!

anyway, just wanted some thoughts on this. it's a basic list of foods for day-to-day eating.

bacon
ham
beef
chicken
fish
eggs

pine nuts and coconut macaroons* to snack on
jerky for snacks

and a piece of fruit once a day, like a small apple or a strawberry.

* I use the recipe on paleofood.com for these, they have honey in which will give me carb.

I'm going for very high fat content, as my energy is basically non-existant; also I want to have enough energy permanently to do rediculous amounts of physical activity (I have Christopher Reeve to thank for that)!!

any good? also, does anyone have any tips for making the jerky more palatable? I use ground beef, mushed wth a pestle+mortar, and squidged into flat circles of meat in my dehydrator.

oh, tips on powdering dry beef for pemmican woudl be good too - my processor won't do it, the meat just ends up spinning round with the blade!!

one last thing (this is getting longer than i meant it to be!) - anytime I go to the butcher's, they have no beef fat; the only suet I can get has 10% wheat flour, I think to stop it sticking together. if i render the suet, will I be able to strain off the wheat flour with a cheesecloth?

thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 222/199/175
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Niki ... I found that jerky and pemmican were too much work for the food value i got.... all weekend to make it and 2 days to eat it. But soaking the meat in liquid smoke before drying adds zing.

I find that by eatting small meals .. 5 - 6 times a day works the best . Stay away from the low quality meats like bacon, ham, sauages , ground beef and processed meats. Instead choose chicken, fish, and lean beef and pork roasts. Eat lots of salads with home made dressing or just olive oil ,i also stir fry my veggies in olive oil. Drink lots of water. Also stay away from the friut ,nuts and honey until you reach your goal.

And by small meals i mean protein and salad or fresh veggies every meal. If i snack it's usual pork rinds.

Good Luck

chris
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 13:06

Plan: paleolithic
Stats: 162/162/126
BF:
Progress: 0%

okay, thanks - just one more Q - why stay away from the nuts? surely, the high fat content is desirable on a high fat diet?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 222/199/175
BF:
Progress: 49%

A small amount of nuts are ok , but I have trouble with eating nuts only in moderation and I've read about other people with simular complaints, and that any amount of nuts will stop weight loss.